Greeks got it right -

Observer II

5 hours ago, asperity said:

So with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight you can sit on the sidelines carping at the government's handling of the crisis. So tell me this, how many deaths would you suggest that the government should have tolerated before shutting down the country - 1? 10? 100? 1000? How many would you have tolerated if the decision was yours?

No my blood wasn't boiling. Actually I never get upset by anything I see on TV because I avoid the BBC propaganda service like the plague.

I will tell you how many deaths the government should have tolerated, non.

Use your 20/20 hindsight to see what was happening while the UK was hosting large scale events.

BUt some people were blind

On 3/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, asperity said:

Probably because the UK is the UK and not some other country with different population, diversity, health system, infrastructure etc etc. And why take the advice of a former director of public health over that of the present director who has, presumably, better information?

I think people have lost sight of the purpose of the lockdown. It wasn't put in place "to save lives" as such, but to prevent so many cases of the virus happening at the same time that the NHS couldn't cope. The people who die in hospital didn't catch the virus yesterday, they caught it weeks before. So now that the number of deaths daily is declining it is a sign that the number of infections was falling weeks ago, not yesterday. So there is an argument for cautiously reopening the country while maintaining social distancing, hand washing etc. What is clear is we can't all stay at home forever.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Milky said:

I will tell you how many deaths the government should have tolerated, non.

Use your 20/20 hindsight to see what was happening while the UK was hosting large scale events.

BUt some people were blind

Zero tolerance for deaths? A good case for banning people from doing anything that might end up killing them then. Driving cars, climbing ladders, doing DIY, swimming, rock climbing? The list is endless

I'm not the one using 20/20 hindsight and moaning about decisions other people made. The UK wasn't hosting large scale events, private companies (Liverpool FC and a racecourse?) were. Possibly the government should have closed the borders but imagine the howls of protest that would have ensued from the usual suspects. But I'm not pointing an accusing finger at anyone who has made difficult decisions, I'll leave that to Piers Morgan, Robert Peston, the dead tree press and most BBC journalists.

Incidentally the boiling point of blood is generally accepted as being 212F, mine is usually about 98F.

Well Obs, possibly you might agree that exercising your freedom of speech doesn't cover calling someone you don't agree with "an idiot".

So the lockdown has achieved what it was set out to do - stopped the hospitals being overwhelmed. The question now is when and how the lockdown can be eased and people can go back to normal. The people you chose to insult are just debating this very point.

On 4/23/2020 at 10:37 PM, Observer II said:

, with (in the UK) no requirement for returnees to be tested or quarantined, being sent home with advice to self isolate if they felt symptoms; as they travelled home in taxis, buses and by rail.      😷

Wonder if Dominic Cummings is reading these posts ? !    The Gov are now re-starting to quarantine for 2 weeks, all passengers on flights into the UK .😷

5 hours ago, Observer II said:

Wonder if Dominic Cummings is reading these posts ? !    The Gov are now re-starting to quarantine for 2 weeks, all passengers on flights into the UK .😷

If he is reading them it is not clear he agrees with you - you are jumping the gun on this one.

From the BBC, reporting today's government briefing -

Asked about reports that the government might introduce quarantine for international travellers arriving in the UK, Mr Eustice says "no decisions" have been made.

He says that as the UK moves to a new phase, at some point in the future "international travel could become a more significant risk to manage".

So, "no decision made" then; which just explains why were in a mess, as the situation requires "decisions".   :rolleyes:     There's now a judicial review being sought as to why the details of the 2016 exercise haven't been made public,  seems the Gov thought the conclusions were too frightening for public consumption - tut tut.  😷

23 minutes ago, Observer II said:

So, "no decision made" then; which just explains why were in a mess, as the situation requires "decisions".   :rolleyes:     There's now a judicial review being sought as to why the details of the 2016 exercise haven't been made public,  seems the Gov thought the conclusions were too frightening for public consumption - tut tut.  😷

What a waste of money, it will affect nothing and is just political grandstanding of the worst kind. The promoters should be ashamed of themselves. There being no duty to make it public I cannot see any outcome other than no grant of review. Just disgraceful publicity seeking.

8 hours ago, Observer II said:

I thought all flights were cancelled to the general public ,apart from overseas fruit pickers & any outstanding repatriations ?

Presume these are flights coming into the UK Dave, which unbelievably still do.  Apparently the wealthy are still flying private jets all over the globe. You'll recall in the early stages, with a flight from Wuhan, all the passengers were bussed to the Wirral for quarantine; then as time went on, it seems to have lapsed. Meanwhile, we've still got illegal immigrants landing on Kent beaches,  then being crowded into detention  centres, rather than being deported ASAP.   :rolleyes:    😷

• Upvote 1

Had a look on the flight radar site. Still plenty of planes flying around the world, albeit not as many as there was.

Mainly cargo flights but still quite a few passenger type ones. Quite a lot in America and China but very few  coming into the UK.

Surprisingly there seems to be a lot of planes heading to a fro between Europe and America and more Air Canada ones as well.