The good, the bad and the ugly -

Observer II

Well I'm sure we're all getting anecdotal tales from the outside (of our confinement) world:  sister in law dropped some supplies off.  told me of a woman in Asda who'd been effin and blinding at the till lady, in front of her own kids;  finishing the row by spitting at her.   This crisis is certainly bringing out the best and the worst in some people.   Doctors are now advising us to talk to loved ones about possibilities; as once you enter the ICU there are no visitors, so there are no goodbyes, just an hello if you survive. 

Personally i would have voided her transaction and then called a manger over the tannoy saying that this ladies card has been declined.

Either that or smacked her round the head with a large tin of old oak ham.

I mean not as if they are going to sack you on the spot with a line of customers waiting.

4 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Personally i would have voided her transaction and then called a manger over the tannoy saying that this ladies card has been declined.

Either that or smacked her round the head with a large tin of old oak ham.

I mean not as if they are going to sack you on the spot with a line of customers waiting.

Other large heavy objects are available 😄

• Haha 1

Just thinking about this, when you shop these days, details of what and how much you buy are stored on their systems so couldn’t a check be made to identify the people who are causing the problems with panic buying. Not saying name and shame them but a gentle email reminder that they’ve been spotted might dissuade them from doing it again. We have Big Brother so why not use it for the national good rather than just sending out discount coupons,

Bill :)

Edited by Bill
genital instead of gentle Whoops!

If they have a store loyalty card then it makes it easier to check ,whether they pay cash or not.

Tesco usually sends me money off or double points vouchers targeted at my last shopping information. (usually they arrive the day after i have done my next shop at tesco so never get used or get put away and forgotten about)

That's a good idea.

Another good idea to reduce exposure would be not to limit milk at the supermarket because it's not like you can stockpile the stuff. We only shop once a week and always get four one litre bottles but now I have to go out and expose myself again later in the week (ha ha don't bother) to get more milk. Yes I could have bought two bloody big ones but they don't fit in the fridge and both my wife and myself have bad wrists and so they're too heavy for use to handle. 

There wasn't any shortage of milk that I could see either last week or this week and if you cant panic buy the stuff why employ restrictions?

Asp you'er right and I stand corrected. Learn something every day.

I always thought you couldn't freeze milk but that probably harks back to the time you could only get in glass bottles.

Must tell Mrs Green because she always insists on buying a carton of the long life stuff in case we run out and it's not that cleaver on the cornflakes.

Father in law always used to have a couple of 4 pint plastic milk in the freezer.

Best thing about the plastic is that they allow for the expansion on freezing without bursting, do take some time to thaw out though.

There's always tins of marvel course. Not bad in coffee provided you don't follow the instructions on the tin. i tended to put the marvel and the sugar in to the cup along with the coffee and then add just a small amount of water and mix to a paste before adding the hot water. you still get a bit of a scummy drink but better than no milk if you don't like black coffee. (worse than long life on cornflakes though)..🤣

Well at least one bit of good news to appear this week.

Let's hope she is back with her husband soon...........................................

British-Iranian charity worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has had her temporary leave from prison in Tehran extended by two weeks, her husband has said.

The 41-year-old was released from Evin prison on 17 March because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Richard Ratcliffe also said his wife's file had been put forward to the Iranian prosecutor general for consideration for clemency.

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2020 at 1:59 PM, Latchford Locks said:

Well at least one bit of good news to appear this week.

Let's hope she is back with her husband soon...........................................

British-Iranian charity worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has had her temporary leave from prison in Tehran extended by two weeks, her husband has said.

The 41-year-old was released from Evin prison on 17 March because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Richard Ratcliffe also said his wife's file had been put forward to the Iranian prosecutor general for consideration for clemency.

Iranian- British holiday maker.

Iran does not recognize duel nationality and British governments don't get involved when they are in the country of their other nationality, there are others like her in Iran  so why is she different?

• Upvote 1

Well I thought it was because she was previously working with the BBC Iranian service in London and the Iranians deliberately picked on her to trump up charges and thereby  put pressure on the Government via the BBC to pay for a cancelled arms deal which has been in dispute for donkey's years.

3 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

As for working for the BBC i have no idea. Don't really know who she is apart from a name mentioned every so often in the press.

Quote from Wikipedia - "Zaghari-Ratcliffe has worked for the BBC World Service Trust (now called BBC Media Action),[10] an international charity that provided training courses to Iranian citizen journalists and bloggers in its Iran Media Development Project's ZigZag magazine and associated radio programme.[11] In 2014, several graduates were convicted and sentenced by Iran to up to 11 years in jail for their participation in these courses.[12][13]"

I have seen it confirmed elsewhere, but of course not on the BBC website or news!