Corona Virus

Gary

47 minutes ago, Bill said:

I know Sid I've just been for a walk out with the wife, said hello to the few we did see out but everyone kept their distance. On Newcut Lane though, we came across a group of five bike riders probably in their early twenties that met up just as we approached but I guess they'd never heard of social distancing. Even if people like this never watch the news channels, it's hard to believe they hadn't had the message but clearly they didn't think it applied to them. :(

Bill :)

There will always be people like that and guess always have been.

In some countries you can get up to 6 months in jail for ignoring the rules.

In some countries the police and army do random checks on people who are not sell isolating who should be and again hefty penalties await anyone who does not comply

4 hours ago, Bill said:

New York is very badly affected by cases of Covid19. This should come as no surprise to anyone who knows that during Chinese New Year celebrations all New Yorkers were encouraged to go out and embrace the Chinese population (literally physically embrace individual Chinese people) to prove that New Yorkers are not "racist"*. Of course there's no chance of Chinese New Yorkers having family visit from China during these celebrations, that would be too far fetched wouldn't it?

*Chinese isn't a "race" by the way.

9 hours ago, Observer II said:

Anyway, just to get everyone in the mood for the next 12 weeks or months there's a film on ITV 2 tonight, called "Contagion" !    😷

Did look at the write up for that but it seemed a bit of an unlikely scenario to happen in the real world....🤔

I have been avoiding supermarkets for the past week in the hope that the panic buying hysteria would fade away and some normality return to the shops and shelves.

Has anyone been in and noticed any changes for the better yet?

As sooner or later I am going to have to visit the shops again

Think it's a question of timing Milky;  went in the other day and it wasn't packed, noticed most are now wearing plastic gloves.  What I'm wondering, will the 2 hour slot for oldies only (8-10 ?), mean it will be jam packed or not ?   I'll be venturing to the Market today for my fish and sausages,  keeping 6ft way from everybody of course !       😷

23 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Think it's a question of timing Milky;  went in the other day and it wasn't packed, noticed most are now wearing plastic gloves.  What I'm wondering, will the 2 hour slot for oldies only (8-10 ?), mean it will be jam packed or not ?   I'll be venturing to the Market today for my fish and sausages,  keeping 6ft way from everybody of course !       😷

Let us know what it's like.

Mother Hubbard is only a few days away at Chez Latch 🥺

Well, the Market closed at 2pm; but I got there just in time to buy my last bunch of sausages as the stall is now closed for the duration (to protect staff); the fishmonger said he's have problems with supplies, so that may dry up.   Sainsburys  have brought in queueing away from the tills, but because most are trying to keep 6ft apart, the queue tends to snake back someway.  The mid-range wines have been cleaned out, wondered why they've allowed the outdoors to stay open !   Generally, a rather surreal and scary atmosphere, where you start to fear touching anything - makes me wonder how long folk can last.     😷

Tesco are queuing people outside so there is not to many people inside, I went early afternoon waiting time was about 10 minutes. So go out before the weather turns bad.

Still no sign of hand sanitizer, rice,  paste, or crisps.

Town is shut, Golden Sq is sealed, even Boots and Super Drug are not accessible although pound shop is open, how is pound shop an essential shop. 

Latchford.

I shopped at Sainsburys on Tuesday morning about 10.30 and there were no queues and inside everything was reasonably quiet. There were still some gaps on the shelves but it was much better than the previous week when people had gone mad over the weekend. Plenty of stuff to choose from but depends on what you class as essentials.

Bill :)

41 minutes ago, Observer II said:

The problem with queues is that some folk can't stop themselves from edging forward and closing the 6ft gap.      😷

People have been OK and respecting the rules. Even passing in the street people leave a huge gap as if I had some sort of virus or something.

• Haha 1

A couple of bits of information. the virus lives on hard surfaces for 72 hrs minimum depending on air temperature and humidity it can remain active for longer.The other is that freezing has no affect on it as  when the food is thawed it returns to its active state. 

Does anyone here think that we have gone from one extreme allowing sporting events and leaving places like cinemas open were people are sat next to each other very close to the other were cars are being stopped and ticketed for parking in Orford park.

Yet there still is no disinfecting of things like shopping trolleys, buses, money, no disinfectant for hands as you enter shops

Cinemas were among the places that were shut almost at the start.

Given that there have been reports of people stealing hand sanitisers from hospitals, (unconfirmed a sit was on face ache), how long do you think sanitisers inside a shop door would last.

Local spar/garage was enforcing a strict policy with customers. Only allowing so many in at a time. As one leaves so another is allowed to enter by the member of staff on the door.

don't know about any other shops as i have not had to go for a "major" food shop YET.

18 hours ago, Observer II said:

The problem with queues is that some folk can't stop themselves from edging forward and closing the 6ft gap.      😷

Unless quotas are strictly enforced by shops ,queuing could start panic buying frenzies again because people won't want to stand in line to get their shopping every time they go.