Corona Virus

Gary

On 3/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, Confused52 said:

Obs, if you can do better explain how to get all the over 65s to self isolate when they don't use computers, there aren't enough internet shopping delivery vans, and twenty percent of the staff will be off sick and cannot pick the goods or delivery vans. Oh and do that whilst avoiding panic buying. I would like to see you try it. The answer is to use the army but that can only be done by the government or local government so we had better hope WBC, the supermarkets and the CCG can get their act together. The government in Westminster just need to remove the legal and fiscal barriers. It may be that the need for local government not to run a deficit may be one of those. Latchford is quite right.

I'm do see what you are saying but I'm sure a lot of people round the 65+ age and over do use computers Confused52.  Crikey come of my relatives are in their 80's and are perfectly compuer literate and you only have to go on many of the local facebook group pages to see  many on there reminiscing about memories and growing up in the 30's etc etc so if they can use facebook then again they are more than able to keep abreast of the internet world or do things online.

For those that can't though, or like me have never done my food shopping online and have no intention of ever doing tbh, surely if any poor souls do have to self isolate then their family, neighbours or friends could get their shopping for them and just knock on their door and leave it on the doorstep. 

I do have to wonder how many of those stockpiling and the like will be out at the pub/club come Friday and Saturday or standing watching their favourite football/rugby team play at the weekend.

Current infection in the UK is 319 (unless it has gone up overnight) this works out as a percentage of the whole population to 0.0005%

The total number of people tested in the UK is 25000 or 0.03% of the total population.

319 is 1.27% of those 25000 tested.

so 319 cases out of a population of 66.4 million.

Maybe i am just  naive but i cannot see what the panic is about. Even though i am probably in the "more at risk of dying from it if i catch it" category.

• Upvote 1

I think a better name for this virus would be "Granny Flu";  as the picture painted is one of a mild dose of the flu for most, which engenders a degree of complacency in many, who won't be inclined to miss a footy match.  It's the old and infirm who it is proving lethal with.  But the problem is,  the rate of spread and how to protect the elderly if everyone gets it.  Most grumpies  can hibernate in their homes, with supplies being delivered, but it looks like there won't be a vaccine for at least 12 months if ever.  The oldies at greater risk will be those in care homes and hospitals where transmission from younger folk is possible, or if they venture out of hibernation to the public space.  I had to ask a young lad to keep his distance in a shop the other day; and I don't think he had any idea why.   Spread in China appears to be decreasing due to their draconian lock down approach, now Italy is attempting the same approach.  The problem with this of course, is the hit that the economy will take, which is the reason Gov is wary of too much - too soon.   Like most judgement calls, it's a question of balancing the options.

Have to have a bit of a laugh at the advice given.

If you blow your nose wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer,

Now given that my sinuses make niagara falls look like a dripping tap i would spend probably half my day washing my hands and the other half blowing my nose.

When we say noses run in our family we really mean it.🤧🤭

Sure they are until it affects them.  Heard one Labour MP and a Doctor complain about the shortage of Health Staff, saying we should be bringing in immigrant staff - what Planet are these snowflakes on;  it's a global pandemic and I'm sure the potential immigrants are needed to staff their own Hospitals.

If it is so bad, why are the BBC sending their reporters into the heart of the virus infection to report on it.

Do they not have "elf and safety" regulations about this sort of thing?

There is always a shortage of health staff, has been a shortage for years. It has been the main election promise of every politician in every election in the past twenty years to up the recruitment of health staff.

Also every year we have an influx of elderly patients over the winter period, hospitals know this and are generally prepared for it.

Chicken little would be in his element given the world wide exposure he could have got...🤭

On 3/6/2020 at 9:51 AM, Latchford Locks said:

On 3/5/2020 at 11:27 PM, Stallard12 said:

Lets take a step back, this is the flu !   Y'all in the UK should be saying "We don't care about no stinking flu!  Bring it on  it's just like summer!"    Unless you are on your deathbed or an absolute idiot, you are going to be just fine .  Don't forget, the people exciting you about this are the usual 2000 disaster and global warning guys, not known for minimizing the opportunity of a problem.

A breath of common sense at last :-)

get some inspirations from these inspirational life quotes; wisdom thoughts; #inspirationalquotes #latenightthoughts #relationshipquotes

Difference is that this strain survives a lot longer outside the host, it has been suggested that the Coronavirus can last up to nine days on surfaces were the flu will last for 48 hours.

However if it is in a hot environment of 86 Fahrenheit (30 degrees centigrade) or above, so turn you central heating up!

I recon the virus is all down to global warming! 

• Haha 1

So what does everyone think of the way the government is handling this.

I think it should close down things like sporting events, theaters and so on. The government say people will get bored but if football for example is not taking place they can't go and watch it even if they are bored?

1 hour ago, Milky said:

So what does everyone think of the way the government is handling this.

I think it should close down things like sporting events, theaters and so on. The government say people will get bored but if football for example is not taking place they can't go and watch it even if they are bored?

We all need our rugby fix... so why not get sky to dig out all the archives and lets relive all the great games of the last 20 years.

It's a very cheap way for them to fill the empty slots.. 

They fill the void and we feel almost normal for a couple of hours

But could we dub out Eddie and Stevo 🤓

And so it's a win win situation

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, asperity said:

The government is, quite rightly, following the advice of experts. However if the advice is wrong it's the government that will get it in the neck. 

It looks like events are making football cancel in any case.

The government is following the advice of some experts, most countries are however following a different path which makes me wonder?

Yesterday on Question Time there was an expert who had a different view.

2 minutes ago, Milky said:

The government is following the advice of some experts, most countries are however following a different path which makes me wonder?

Yesterday on Question Time there was an expert who had a different view.

You know the definition of expert? A has-been under pressure 🤣. But seriously the government consists of politicians who can only make decisions based on advice from people who are supposed to know what they are talking about. So what would you suggest Milky, they take the advice of their expert, or the advice of some other expert on a TV show? Or the advice of some expert in another country?

21 minutes ago, asperity said:

You know the definition of expert? A has-been under pressure 🤣. But seriously the government consists of politicians who can only make decisions based on advice from people who are supposed to know what they are talking about. So what would you suggest Milky, they take the advice of their expert, or the advice of some other expert on a TV show? Or the advice of some expert in another country?

I don't know asperity I just wonder why the UK experts advice is so different from that of many other countries experts?

I would not disregard someones opinion just because they are on a TV show, after all he is the former director of public health. 

anyone interested there is a debate on the subject on CH4 right now

38 minutes ago, Milky said:

I don't know asperity I just wonder why the UK experts advice is so different from that of many other countries experts?

I would not disregard someones opinion just because they are on a TV show, after all he is the former director of public health. 

anyone interested there is a debate on the subject on CH4 right now

Probably because the UK is the UK and not some other country with different population, diversity, health system, infrastructure etc etc. And why take the advice of a former director of public health over that of the present director who has, presumably, better information?

1 hour ago, asperity said:

Probably because the UK is the UK and not some other country with different population, diversity, health system, infrastructure etc etc. And why take the advice of a former director of public health over that of the present director who has, presumably, better information?

So what makes the UK so different from virtually every other country, although in Scotland they are stopping public events, or is the virus different here?

the current director of public health might be wrong and why would the present person in the job have better information then anyone else in the world?

The gravest problem associated with this is economics. -  medically, if you get it you have around 98% chance of surviving it.  However, If they do not find a way to open up travel in the next few weeks the world economy is going to be decimated.   If this lockdown lasts 6 months the airline industry and tour companies will cease to exist, as will the millions of small businesses that rely on them.  They cannot maintain a vast staff, including maintenance and agents, for a half a year if almost all of their destinations are effectively closed and prospective clients are scared into cancelling all reservations.  The entities involved need to be very aware of the implications before they automatically go Draconian.

I personally think that a lot should be left to personal choice. No one is forcing anyone to go to a soccer game and  if a person is willing to take the chance they should be able to go.  There were 73,0000 at the United / City game last week and I haven't heard of anyone hurting from that.

I wonder what odds the bookies would give you of surviving if you flew into Italy now, stayed two weeks and survived.?  I bet you could get pretty big odds.

• Upvote 1