Sign in to follow this  
Observer II

A perfect storm -

So the coronavirus kicks off just when millions of Chinese will be travelling within and without China for their New Year,  to ensure it spreads globally.

Fortunately the Chinese have an authoritarian regime,  which allows them to adopt the draconian measures necessary to fight this outbreak.  They've locked down Wuhnan, closed down public transport and ordered everyone to wear clinical masks.   

• Upvote 1

Following previous outbreaks, think a huge number of Chinese have permanently adopted mask wearing, even to the point where some see them as fashion items.

Last year I was on Devil's Causeway in Northern Ireland, miles from any civilisation with a strong wind blowing directly off the Atlantic. You probably couldn't have wished for cleaner fresher air anywhere in the world, yet the place was full of Chinese tourists, all wearing their masks. 

Bill :)

There are thousands of Chinese students at our Universities, the UKBF are incapable of preventing illegal entry by migrants.  So it will get into the UK. Then we'll have the mad dash to GPs surgeries and A&E, while sneezing over everyone.  The NHS already overwhelmed won't cope, unless special isolation hospitals are built, as in China.  So quite dire,  if it resembles the 1918 Pandemic.  Looks like the Planet's revenge for over population and exploitation.

"The planet's revenge"? As if the planet is a sentient being. I think you've caught Greta Thunberg syndrome Obs 🤣🤣

😀   Think it's called "flowery language" Asp !  😀     Greta won't be worried about spreading germs around on her global travels and doesn't seem too worried about her carbon footprint either !   PS Why are they allowing flights from China into the UK ?

corona.png?raw=1

• Haha 1

Looks like, despite the advantages of an authoritarian regime,   China is about two weeks behind the curve.   Seems the horse has already bolted.

So did you see their plans to build a brand new 1000 bed isolation hospital from scratch?

They reckon it'l be ready in a few of days! 

Bill :}

• Upvote 1

So, 200 Brits are to be flown out of Wuhan to the UK, all breathing re-cycled air on the aircraft, with additional airline staff at risk.  ?   Doesn't seem a safe environment does it ?

Live dangerously Obs 😉

Did anyone else notice that the coaches transferring the people to the isolation hospital last week each had someone at the front wearing a full isolation suit and visor.

Sitting right next to them was the driver who was wearing a short sleeved shirt and tie.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Did anyone else notice that the coaches transferring the people to the isolation hospital last week each had someone at the front wearing a full isolation suit and visor.

Sitting right next to them was the driver who was wearing a short sleeved shirt and tie.

Yes I noticed it too. I guessed that the person in the suit would be required to attend to any passenger who became ill. There is some notion that you have to be within two metres of someone for 15 minutes to be a close contact and I presume that the driver is shielded by a screen from direct cough droplets.

I think i read somewhere that the virus can survive for about 45 minutes on surfaces, similar to the cold/flu virus to which is also a coronavirus. but a different strain.

Maybe the person in the hazmat suit is the one who is suspected of having the virus. it would make more sense to enclose a potentially infected person than not and easier to contain the spread of any infection.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:40 PM, Bill said:

So did you see their plans to build a brand new 1000 bed isolation hospital from scratch?

They reckon it'l be ready in a few of days! 

Bill :}

According to BBC it is now up & running .

only took 10 days. mostly prefabricated concrete but only an isolation hospital so probably just basics at present.

Even so Sid, if this was done here in the UK we'd spend ten years just debating it. 😂

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

I think i read somewhere that the virus can survive for about 45 minutes on surfaces, similar to the cold/flu virus to which is also a coronavirus. but a different strain.

Maybe the person in the hazmat suit is the one who is suspected of having the virus. it would make more sense to enclose a potentially infected person than not and easier to contain the spread of any infection.

Sid et al, the BBC have a story explaining the Drivers lack of protective attire here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-51355255

so if you need to be in contact with an infected person for at least fifteen  minutes why did the drivers have to quarantine themselves and why are the coaches undergoing a deep clean.

brize norton to arrowe park is 3 plus hours drive.

The drivers involved in the convoy to Arrowe Park Hospital have taken time off work in quarantine conditions at home, as part of precautions taken by the company.

The coaches were in a lockup facility in Liverpool undergoing a deep clean, he said.