What to do on Thursday if you're disgusted with every party

I've voted in every national and local election since I was old enough. But I've now reached a point where I can't possibly vote for any of the parties standing at either local or national level.

I speak to many people who feel the same.

What do you do if you can't vote for change? Most people say they aren't going to bother voting. The problem with that, of course, is it's easy for politicians to claim that voters are merely apathetic. There's no pressure put on politicians by people who don't go to the polling station.

My advice is to go to the polling station on Thursday. Don't vote, but spoil your ballot paper. If it's only me who does that, it won't make any difference, but if everyone who isn't voting because they're disgusted with the kind of people in politics does the same, it'll get across just how many dissatisfied people there are - and just how many people would vote for a decent candidate if there was one.

If you don't like what the political system has become, vote for change by protesting about it. It's the only voice we have left.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite Gaz; if Carmina and others are rightly dissatisfied with the three main Parties; they should write the name of their prefered Party on the ballot paper. :? I know someone who's been doing this for some time now, and now they have a Party standing who they CAN vote for. :) If enough folk keep doing this, the word gets round and other Parties will begin to stand at elections. :wink:

It does worry me when people don't vote. I keep hearing 'you can't choose between the main parties these days' and 'they're all the same.' Well, those of us who have spent time listening, observing and analysing know very well they are patently not all the same. I will only vote for one party because their principles and policies are those that appeal to me. I would not vote for the other two parties because they don't reflect what I perceive as good governance. Perhaps those who constantly carp on about councillors only being in it for themselves and make totally unsubstantiated allegations of corruption should stand themselves. Being a councillor is time consuming and very hard work. And human nature being what it is, it is impossible to please all of the people all of the time. Mind you,the success of the Lib Dems demonstrates that more and more people must be trusting them to run the council!

Having been to a few counts I have seen a few on the lines of the Observers answer.

E.g. None of the above, None of them worth voting for, etc.

I have also seen one with a long comment on it about women have the right to vote so by spoling her paper she was fulfilling her duty.

Spolit papers are counted and collected but remember they are traceable. The number of spolit papers has increased in recent years.

Spolit papers are counted and collected but remember they are traceable.

So are you saying we no longer have a secret ballot? That's rather serious.

Each ballot paper has 2 unique bar codes (one being the district and one for the ballot paper) so surely the ballot paper is only traceable if someone makes a note of the bar code and the name of the person receiving it. :?

I will only vote for one party because their principles and policies are those that appeal to me. I would not vote for the other two parties because they don't reflect what I perceive as good governance.

Maybe it would be helpful if you elaborated on those principles and policies, as well as your definition of good governance and relate it to the Party that you will be voting for. It might help others to make up their mind.

chrissy wrote

Perhaps those who constantly carp on about councillors only being in it for themselves and make totally unsubstantiated allegations of corruption should stand themselves.

Exactly, so don't just rubbish those who choose to stand up and be counted, just because is doesn't suit you. You should relish the fact that in a democracy people can do exactly what you suggest. By the way, there are quite a lot of people who will vote Conservative (Tory if you prefer, although I detect some derogatory content in your earlier use of the term). :wink:

Your party of preference, appear to be very worried about the Stockton Heath seat, and although I know I have a big hill to climb, I am giving it my best shot. :D

It is healthy to have the status-quo challenged, when individuals and parties have spent too long at the top of the heap, they become complacent, out of touch and arrogant. If nothing else, the challenge in Stockton Heath has made your lot sit up and think for a change. :shock:

Oh, and don't start me off on unsubstantiated allegations of curruption. The lib dems are good at veiled insinuation. You only have to read the flyers to see that. :x

The thing that upsets me about election time though, is what a waste of trees :cry:

So Carmina, use your ballot paper and vote, you are handing your future and the democratic process back in to the hands of a minority; many people have stuggled and given their lives over the years to allow us to vote. Keep voting and you will be able to change things, fail to vote, and I doubt it will change anything. Also, use the ballot paper properly, so that the tree did not die in vain. 8)

If you lived in Stockton Heath you wouldn't hesitate to vote. :wink:

I wouldn't dream of making adverse comments about people who decide to stand as independents. I think local democracy would be well served by the election of more independents. I apologise if you find 'Tory' to be a derogatory term. It was not meant to be-simply a quick reference-like lib dem instead of the full title.

I really think you should have stood as a sharc though Stephen. Obviously you have your strategy, but I do think you would have had a far better chance as an independent. That's what many in ST would have welcomed.

Chrissy,

It didn't work last time, I and the SHARC team felt a new approach was needed. As I say, independence is merely a state of mind. No one is truly independendent in thought, but can be in deed. If I do get elected, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating so to speak.

Many people are actually reluctant to vote independent, because they have always voted for one of the major parties, swapping parties in some peoples minds seems more acceptable than voting for an independent who has no party backing.

Also, life as an independent in the Town Hall can be very isolated, so if I really want to make a difference, I need to be able to influence, to do that I need some backing.

Many Liberal Democrats I suspect are closet voters from both Labour and Conservative parties, I and the SHARC team are working hard to show them that there is a credible alternative whereby a mainstream party can work with independent minded campaignmers to get things done. We are tired of listening to a Parish council and Borough Councillors that claim they can't influence things.

One has to ask why are the politicians playing second fiddle to the officers in this council? :roll:

No it didn't work last time, but I would imagine sharc's supporters will feel you have sold them down the river. All councillors have their own views, they're not clones and independents can often have a lot of clout as they can't be subject to the old three line whip. Look at Kingswinford.

I can't decide whether you are using the conservatives, or they are using you?

The Greens are true to their principles and refuse to get into bed with any of the main parties. I respect that immensley and their support grows steadily.

I know what sharcs are against - but what are they for?

Chrissy wrote

"I know what sharcs are against - but what are they for?"

You obviuosly don't read the stuff we have put out jointly.

As far as selling people down the river, I have been totally upfront with the SHARC supporters and the Conservative voters alike. There has been nothing hidden in the campaign, people can clearly see what we stand for. If the good folk of Stockton Heath don't want what is on offer, then they won't buy it.

As far as who uses who, then I can only quote from the great Russian political commentator Trotdavski Kolmanschvy...when asked by western journalists what is the differences between capitalism and communism?

"Under capitalism, man exploits man... Under communism it is the other way around" 8)

I suspect that political parties or groups working together is something that has eluded the Liberal Democrats in Warrington. :oops:

The Greens are true to their principles and refuse to get into bed with any of the main parties.

Ah but as will always be the way, when they have the opportunity to have a share of power they do deals with other parties.....and I don't have a problem with that. I notice Ken Livingstone has unveiled an election pact with them in London. [/code]