No Politics please, we're British

Bill

Well that’s it for another five years and I’m just hopeful that it’s an end to all the hostile and negative comments that have plagued social media recently. Some say it was all about Brexit or Corbyn but I’m sure there were people out there who simply wanted an end to the hate and bad feeling that was dividing our nation.

This is 100% true. Yesterday when my wife and I voted, there was just other person in the polling station, an elderly lady who went in just before us. She looked fine going in but standing at the booth, we could see she was visibly shaking and had tears in her eyes, so we sat her down. She said that for all her life she had always voted the same way but now just couldn’t do it and this resulted in a huge family argument. How wrong is that!

I was always taught that if you want to keep your friends and prevent arguments then avoid talking about politics and religion, especially in the pub and I suppose these days that should include social media. I’ve just removed six people from by Facebook list who clearly had never heard this advice and had become nasty political trolls.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, social media as we grandly call it has become a platform for bullying & spreading lies in respect of politics. A person's voting intention should be between him/her* & the ballot paper.

Sadly,Jo Swinson was still banging on about stopping Brexit during her resignation speech ,but Boris has an ample majority now to go forward with a live Parliament that can carry out its long overdue duty by respecting the 2016 referendum. The people have voted & the matter should now be closed.

* this is not a pc him/her. 

• Upvote 1

Bill, I find that mostly people accept you have a right to be on any side. However the is one tribe that does not and it seems connected to intolerant youth. In reality they mostly grow up eventually although the odd one doesn't. I suspect that it is the problem I have gone on about before of loser's consent which the young have not been exposed to.

In this GE the issue was inextricably linked with Brexit which is a one way decision as the Conservatives got a large majority. Loser's consent depends on the losers realising that they will get another chance and can possibly win next time round such that losing this time is not something that must be overturned. That is not possible with Brexit because the current terms will never be available again, hence the lack of losers consent and the posture of taking no prisoners. This should now be different and the anger will abate as they find something else to obsess about but it is why referendums that chose to do things that cannot be undone are so dangerous without the safety valve of a minimum percentage majority of the vote that convinces the losers that a re-run would not give a different result.  

The only reply i have when asked who i voted for is "a candidate". if pushed i will stipulate that "it was a secret ballot and that is all i have to say on the matter"

However if i am feeling a bit more belligerent (i can get rather belligerent after a couple of pints of shandy) i will ask if they voted and cut them off as soon as they say either yes or no explaining that i do not need or wish to know any more.

when it comes to religion then i have some fun as my beliefs are so way out that even the mormons have stopped knocking on the door and avoid me like the plague.🤪