How to brew tea - and speak proper!

asperity

Priceless.

That guy explaining looked like a mad scientist from a horror film.

Got me when they said "or to help distressed people in bombed out areas." No counselling in those days. "had your house blown up ave yer. ere have a cup of tea that will make things better"

And that smile on mothers face near the end "yes then tea will revive you"

Big those tea bags though and recycled unlike today's one shot lob it away things.

Have to say my dad must not have watched that film as he did everything that you shouldn't when he made tea and would often stick the tin teapot on teh gas if the tea had gone cold and boil it up again. So much tannin stain in his pot that it looked like it could be used to tar a roof.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like your dad worked at a factory at sometime Sid.  I remember well the white enamel 'brew cans', most of them almost black on the inside with tannin tar.  Some guys cleaned them out with a mixture of lump soda and boiling water, others just left them, said it improved the taste!  Also heard that there were many deaths amongst the war wounded, because the first thing the helpers did was 'giv em a cuppa a tea',  even though they had stomach wounds.

Served his time as a sewing machine mechanic at singers, then had a stint of national service in Malay, finally ended up at Greenings as first a wire weaver and then warehouse manager.

From what i can remember from some programme i watched it was the tea leaves in the tea that leaked through the wounds and accelerated the onset of peritonitis i think.

Was also the mouthful of tea leaves almost choking me that turned me off tea for good.

I drink my coffee black as well Stallard. There is a good reason for it though. Keeping night watches on board ship, with minimal lighting in the wheelhouse, quite often you would find that the milk had "gone off" (it used to be very rarely that your ship had a fridge on the bridge, even in the tropics!) so your first taste of tea or coffee would be unpleasant to say the least. So better safe than sorry - take it black. 🤢🤮

It's quite possible stallard there are family members that are popping up all over the place in recent years. (and unfortunately popping off as well).

Our family tree is more of a mangrove than anything else. Plotting out on paper is a lesson in advanced origami as practised by Escher.🤔...🤪

Can see why Asp.  I drink my coffee black, but with sweetener.  Was sat at a table in Constitution Sq in Athens.  Waiter appeared from a tunnel which crossed under a six lane city street from one of the hotels lining the Sq.  Ordered coffee and he disappeared back into the tunnel.  Twenty minutes later he was back.  When I asked where's the milk?  He looked at me, said Ahh and disappeared back down the tunnel! !   Didn't bother to wait, enjoyed it and I've drunk it black ever since.

• Haha 1