Latchford Locks

Feathers Hotel

I read on another local rag report that The Lion on Bridge St is closing for good but I've also noticed that The Feathers is shut , Is that also closing for good?

A couple of years ago it had a refurbishment and tried for a different clientele a bit like The White Hart (which had been an outstanding success)

But I think that the location doomed that idea from the start.

So have the owners given up and closed or is it just being revamped as another Bridge St cheap booze pub. :-( ?

Pretty much all the town's pubs have seen a drop of in trade especially during the quieter midweek but I'd have thought that would be a prime location once all the development finishes.

Bill :) 

Is that the Lion Hotel, thought it was shut for years, thought it was a night club last.???

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Pretty much all the town's pubs have seen a drop of in trade especially during the quieter midweek but I'd have thought that would be a prime location once all the development finishes.

The council should have included the row of buildings that house the Lion and either demolish them or in the case of the actual Lion building refurbish and find a meaningful use for it(as it may be a listed building) As it stands the current structures just look an eyesore and will be detrimental to the new Time Square development (as will the Old Packet House building)

I'm with you on that one Latchford, especially the packet house, it's a bloomin eyesore.

I think a lot would argue though that maybe the Lion has some history attached to it, I don't know about that but it's certainly well past it's best and doesn't score too high in the looks department. And having a whole array of tacky takeaways right next to it with their smells and litter doesn't help either.

Pull the lot down and have done with it!!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Milky said:

Is that the Lion Hotel, thought it was shut for years, thought it was a night club last.???

Yes that's the one.

It was also the booking office and Pick Up point for Sykes Coaches back in 1950/60's

I always remember getting the coach for Wire away matches in the yard at the back.

I don't suppose many readers will remember them now the livery was a kind of light and dark brown.

On away games in Yorkshire they didn't have the motorway then and half way over they stopped at a pub next to a reservoir and all the grown ups were made up having a couple of pints to break up the journey(My Dad included).

You can still see that pub on the left hand side (East Bound) about 3/4 of the way over.

Image result for Sykes Coaches warrington 1960's

9 hours ago, Milky said:

Way before my time, I can remember it being a bar, was it ever a proper hotel?

It was a Coaching House ,in other words a bit of a half way hotel stop between Scotland and London in the 18th century, horses were changed and customers ate and stayed  for the night.