Car Insurance

Milky

Looking at Which Warrington is in 88th place for car insurance out of 126 post codes, average price of insurance is £855.55 in Warrington.

Cheapest is Galashields average price is £544.84 followed by Exeter. Manchester is 111 (£1128.60) and Liverpool 112 (£1140), Wigan is 93, Preston 91, Blackpool 68, Chester 67, while Oxford is 40 average insurance is 666.43, Swindon is 38, Newcastle Upon Tyne 65. Most expensive is London West average price of car insurance £1734.80!

Looking at crime levels Warrington car crime is 2% hire then in Exeter.

I surprised car crime is so high in Warrington also surprised car insurance is so expensive, I pay £168!

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Retire: Get a Bus Pass.........

Not quite that simple. I have basically retired but am not yet old enough to draw the state pension ,if i ever get there the way they keep shifting the retirement age, Which is the requirement for getting a FREE bus pass at present. By the time i do get to that age, whatever it is, they will have probably abolished it or i will be so worn out with age that i will not be able to take advantage of it....🤣

Regarding the having a couple of pints. two pints is more than i drink in a week these days. Three units is my weekly alcohol intake. Three bitter shandies on a Thursday night at domino match in winter or maybe four in summer when bowling on a hot evening.

4 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Not quite that simple. I have basically retired but am not yet old enough to draw the state pension ,if i ever get there the way they keep shifting the retirement age, Which is the requirement for getting a FREE bus pass at present. By the time i do get to that age, whatever it is, they will have probably abolished it or i will be so worn out with age that i will not be able to take advantage of it....🤣

Sorry to be pedantic but.......................

In England you can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female State Pension age, whether you're a man or a woman. If you live in London, you can travel free on buses, tubes and other transport when you're 60, but only within London. In Wales you can get a bus pass when you reach 60.

So now you can have an extra shandy on a Thursday night 👌

image.jpeg

Er not quite. 🤔

Went on the gov website and used their bus pass age calculator.

result for me personally.

The date you qualify for a bus pass is:

• on 27 September 2023, if you live in England

oh well only another four years to go.🥴

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

If anybody wants to check their entitlement.

Sid,

What confuses people is that there are more than one kind of bus pass depending on which council area you live in. There are separate schemes for each of the home countries but here the basic scheme is the English National  Concessionary Travel Scheme. It permits free travel on buses, other than tours or coach trips etc. after 0930 until 2300 each weekday and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. Each Council is free to augment the scheme as it chooses, Warrington only permits addition free bus trips after 2300 until the end of the day's service and travel in to Wales on buses that go directly from Chester and West Cheshire to a destination in Wales on local buses.

In London at Pension Age you get a Freedom Card which give free travel at any time on Buses, Tubes and Trams and TfL run trains within London, plus most National Rail services within London from 0930 each weekday and all day otherwise, as well as the ENCTS conditions in the rest of England. For those over 60 but under Pension Age there is a different card, the 60+Oyster which gives Free Travel in London like the Freedom Card but is not valid outside London. Of use to us from Warrington is that the ENCTS card (with the Rose symbol) from Warrington is accepted on London Buses at any time of day other than for Night Buses with Service number Nxx etc.

Greater Manchester has a card from retirement age which is valid on buses, trams and trains inside GM between 0930 and 2300 weekdays and weekends/Bank Holidays. Merseyside has a card from 60 with free buses, trains and Ferries in Merseyside from 0930 weekdays, all day other wise. At Pension age they give a new card which also has the ENTCS benefits.

Each of the Councils has its own rules that suit their own circumstances and they are usually more generous in the areas with what used to be called Passenger Transport Authorities and are now called Integrated Transport Authorities.

There is not a single simple answer other than the availability of a card with the ENCTS scheme as you come up to State Pension age but even then the benefits vary according to where you want to use it. Of course the English scheme card give you no concession at all for journeys wholly within Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland!