The invasion continues -

Observer II

(Sky News) Only 6% of migrants that have crossed the channel have been deported.  These illegals have passed through the EU, where they could apply for asylum, all the way to the UK, which supposed to be destined to become a basket case if we leave the EU.  On the horizon, the Turkish Premier has threatened to release over 2 million migrants into the EU, which should provide the final nail in the coffin of the EU, as public reaction explodes.

The poor guy never gets any credit for anything he does. He was elected saying he wanted to pull US troops out of wars that have nothing to do with them, and he gets criticised for not being a warmonger. Perhaps the EU army would like to take over the role of "The World's Policeman"?

3 hours ago, Observer II said:

(Sky News) Only 6% of migrants that have crossed the channel have been deported.  These illegals have passed through the EU, where they could apply for asylum, 

Didn't the Australians once put all their illegals on an island near Papua New Guinea ?

We have plenty of Scottish islands with nothing on them(Yet ???)

The problem is Dave; the Kurds are viewed as a terrorist threat to eastern Turkey, part of which they lay claim to - so unless they can come to somekind of Good Friday Agreement confrontation will continue.   As Asp says,  Trump stood on a platform of reducing US military commitments throughout the world, and spending their money at Home;  it was Obama who got them involved with the Kurds.   But more importantly for us;  the fall out from this instability will hit us, in the form of another wave of migrants, either directly from Turkey or from Syria.  Directly from Turkey, from the camps being funded by the EU £billions or from displaced Syrian refugees or escaped ISIS prisoners.  The Greeks are still playing host to thousands of migrants who want to move on into the EU.   The EU are ideologically incapable of having a hard border, deportation policy so will attempt to absorb them into the EU; just like they did in 2015, when Merkel unilaterally invited a million into Germany, giving rise to the AfD.  Meanwhile, the UK Gov, while trying to sound hard, are allowing in illegals and failing to deport most of them; and Labour are now openly arguing for a total open door policy.

11 minutes ago, Latchford Locks said:

Didn't the Australians once put all their illegals on an island near Papua New Guinea ?

We have plenty of Scottish islands with nothing on them(Yet ???)

No need to accomodate them anywhere in the UK Latch; like you do with unwanted mail, just return them to sender.

• Upvote 2

The US gets criticised if they get involved in other countries and also if the they leave. Why should it always be down to them. What about countries who tend to not get involved. Let them do their bit (Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal etc). They have benefitted in the past from the work done by others.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Observer II said:

No need to accomodate them anywhere in the UK Latch; like you do with unwanted mail, just return them to sender.

I reckon one winter spent working on a Scottish Island with a  maintenance program of agriculture and self support,Kibbutz style, would have them queuing to go back to Europe

Image result for scottish island in winter

The Kurds have been in the frontline of the west's war against Isis & deserve at least some protection against the Turks . Don't forget Turkey is also at loggerheads with Greece over Cyprus.
Apart from being terrorist, i'm sure that the Kurds were also regarded as freedom fighters in the dark days of Isis.

It all stems from the post WW1 settlement,  with Britain and France dividing up the M/East, with lines on a map, without any reference to the local ethnic groups.  That's when the Kurds could have been given their own State, largely at the expense of Turkey, who's Ottoman Empire had been defeated by the Allies.  The Kurds have been fighting for a State ever since, and in the 1920's were bombed with poison gas by the RAF.  During WW2, they helped Britain to quell an uprising in Iraq, but still weren't rewarded with Statehood. Neither were they rewarded by the US and UK for their assistance in defeating Saddam Hussein. They currently occupy a semi-autonomous region of Iraq, but claim a large area of eastern Turkey.  Unfortunately, justice still eludes them, as the Turks view them as terrorists and now have more leverage over the EU with the threat of flooding it with millions of refugees,.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:06 PM, TF and the wire said:

The US gets criticised if they get involved in other countries and also if the they leave. Why should it always be down to them. What about countries who tend to not get involved. Let them do their bit (Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal etc). They have benefitted in the past from the work done by others.

Because they were the ones who went into the middle east with some made up intelligence as a pretext, . President Bush ego trip remember and the Kurds helped the Americans!

Fact is there was less then 60 US military personal in the area, not exactly a huge commitment, basically Trump just gave Turkey the go ahead to invade .

When Erdogan threatens to send three and a half million refuges to Europe instead of giving him billions Europe should tell him he can keep his Beko ovens, fruit and holidays, sell them to Russia instead.

I had to look up the word HOLIDAY in the dictionary as i have only ever been on one holiday since i got married in 1978. And that was a wet weekend in Wales. ( i don't count the honeymoon.)🤫

It always amazes me that people do go and holiday in places where there is conflict or civil unrest.

It is the English way i suppose and arrogance "oh nothing bad will happen to us were British it doesn't concern us".:roll:

5 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

I had to look up the word HOLIDAY in the dictionary as i have only ever been on one holiday since i got married in 1978. And that was a wet weekend in Wales. ( i don't count the honeymoon.)🤫

Do you mind me asking why?

5 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

It always amazes me that people do go and holiday in places where there is conflict or civil unrest.

It is the English way i suppose and arrogance "oh nothing bad will happen to us were British it doesn't concern us".:roll:

Your far more likely to involved in a car accident then find yourself in harms way of a terrorist attack in Turkey, Tunisia, Kenya, London isn't exactly the safest place in the world.

1 hour ago, Milky said:

Do you mind me asking why?

If why i looked up holiday it is because i never seemed to find the time to have one. any time away from work usually involved me painting and decorating or some other job that needed doing around the house.

If it why i don't count the honey moon it is because i never got one. not even a wet weekend in Wales. Married on a Saturday and back at work on the Monday. (Sunday spent recovering from the Saturday night bash)

Your far more likely to involved in a car accident then find yourself in harms way of a terrorist attack in Turkey, Tunisia, Kenya, London isn't exactly the safest place in the world.

I should be fine in any of those places then only ever been in one car crash in my whole life.( and of course "i'm British those sort of things don't affect me" )

Only ever been through London three or four times on my way to courses with work, each time it was shut.

7 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

If why i looked up holiday it is because i never seemed to find the time to have one. any time away from work usually involved me painting and decorating or some other job that needed doing around the house.

If it why i don't count the honey moon it is because i never got one. not even a wet weekend in Wales. Married on a Saturday and back at work on the Monday. (Sunday spent recovering from the Saturday night bash)

I should be fine in any of those places then only ever been in one car crash in my whole life.( and of course "i'm British those sort of things don't affect me" )

Only ever been through London three or four times on my way to courses with work, each time it was shut.

Brilliant Sid 😂. My experience with London is similar, and I wouldn't want to go there "on holiday". I've been away from home as a holiday twice since I started work in 1967. Once to Scotland for a fortnight, and once to Florida for a fortnight.  I don't get the attraction, but possibly that was because my job meant being away from home for months at a time.