Warrington transporter bridge.

Sparky71

I've been trying to get close up this structure. I noticed a sign for it on Wilson Patten St, which I followed into Slutchers Lane, turned right just after the top of the bridge down towards the old Aluminium factory. Through the arches beneath the railway lines and the signs stopped.

I was faced by the Karting place and the old factory buildings filled with small businesses. I could see the Transporter Bridge, but couldn't get close to it, my way being blocked by buildings or fences.

Anyone got a detailed route to it once you go through the railway line arches. 

Didn't even know Quay Fold existed. I've had a look on Google Street and it seems to fizzle out before it get near the transporter. I'll try it sometime. I remember that road leading into Monks Hall steel mill years ago. You used to see the workers wearing leather baggy pants going for a few pints at the Coach and Horses.

As I said, there are brown signs on the opposite bank, near the police station and again on Slutchers Lane, so it seems like the official viewing area is on the north bank.

That road near Monks Hall had been improved a lot last time i was round there. If it is still there , Quay Fold should be as you go off the roundabout at what used to be  "The Green" ,down what is Thewlis St onto Old Liverpool Road. Quay Fold should be on the apex of the right hand bend & should take you to the "new" entrance for Crosfield's.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bit closer this week. Firstly I tried Quay Fold, the only access of which was at the side of the Coach and Horses. There was a sign saying private road which I ignored. It took me along the river and numerous workshops, and eventually the road was blocked by railings just behind the pink eye flour mill. So I turned back.

Next I went down Slutchers Lane again, right just over the bridge, down to the arches and turned immediately left as I exited them, going up a slope towards the RSPCA. There is a path to the left of their gate that leads along the perimeter fence to a small car park with a skip in it. There is an overgrown grass path at the far end of this car park that leads to some steps down the river. Someone has put a picture of the transporter bridge at the top of these steps, so it looks like this is the correct way.

As I was on my bike, I gave up and will return on foot sometime.

Yes you can get to it by down Slutchers Lane past RSPCA and further up to where the car park for Warrington Animal Welfare is.  I've never been as it's not the sort of place I'd like to wander on my own as the one time I did try there was a chap living in a tent in the long grass and also the pathway through to the river and along to the bridge sometimes has nasty Giant Hogweed growing along it.  I think the council usually put warning signs up though if it's there.  (he hogweed I mean not the chap)

I'm sure  PJ  posted a map on here showing the exact route to it through Crossfields site though.

That's a fantastic link. I didn't know the public footpath through Crosfields existed. I'm going to try each of them.

Slightly off topic, anyone remember the short cut that used to enable you to drive under the tracks at the side of Bank Quay station, through part of Crosfields and emerge just over the bridge on Liverpool Road? Cutting out the traffic lights.

• Upvote 1

Yes, was the road that led to the underground station that ran east to west.

Used to go with my uncles to deliver the racing pigeons for transport to that station when they were sent to France for the race from Nantes if i remember rightly.

You had to be careful though using it as crosfields vehicles were regularly crossing it inside the compound.

• 8 months later...

Finally got round to see the transporter bridge close up using Dizzy's link which was spot on. I didn't realise that footpath through Crosfields existed and it was great to see the factory and the river from a different perspective.

The bridge itself was impressive close up and it would be a massive task to get it back to its former glory. Hope it is though.

I intended to continue my journey on the other path returning via Slutchers Lane ,but the path was very overgrown and clumps of Giant Hogweed blocking the way so I backtracked.

Well worth a visit.

• Upvote 1