Recycling

Milky

https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2019/08/16/borough-missing-its-recycling-target-and-time-is-running-out/

An old story but as no one picked it up.

How long have we had recycling bins, yet we can not use the bins for many items, many plastics, electrical goods, batteries, list goes on.

Second point is why do we have to pay to recycle,  surely the ones who should be baying are the people who don't recycle

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly can't afford to throw 20% of the food I buy in the bin!

Electrical goods, by which I presume you mean fridges, washing machines, microwaves etc? Around here if you leave anything like that in front of the house it is gone in days (hours sometimes!) Small batteries you can recycle in Asda or the library (a quick Google will tell you that).

I don't know why we have to pay for green bin collection as I always thought that the contents were composted for sale of the compost, but must be wrong.

2 hours ago, asperity said:

…. I don't know why we have to pay for green bin collection as I always thought that the contents were composted for sale of the compost, but must be wrong.

You are not wrong. However the problem seems to be that the amount received doesn't cover the cost. The worst bit is that it is green waste that attracts Landfill tax. The Government allowed payments for Garden Waste to pay for the Landfill Tax that was required by the EU to prevent the overflow of tips that was about to occur in the Netherlands!

7 hours ago, asperity said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly can't afford to throw 20% of the food I buy in the bin!

Electrical goods, by which I presume you mean fridges, washing machines, microwaves etc? Around here if you leave anything like that in front of the house it is gone in days (hours sometimes!) Small batteries you can recycle in Asda or the library (a quick Google will tell you that).

I don't know why we have to pay for green bin collection as I always thought that the contents were composted for sale of the compost, but must be wrong.

So why have recycle bins at all, you can take all sorts of things to different recycling places?

I mean all electrical things, like CD players, computer mice and so on. In Cumbria you get a plastic bag to put your electrical items in for recycling.

I mean blue bins, people who don't recycle should be charged extra and with the green bins should be free to encourage recycling.

How, without rummaging through the contents of everyone's black bins, are they going to determine who isn't recycling? And when am I going to get paid for the time I spend sorting out which items can be recycled? My hourly rate is £120/hour.

I pay the fee for my green bin and am quite happy for my neighbours to use any unused space to avoid them putting garden waste in their black bins.

2 hours ago, asperity said:

How, without rummaging through the contents of everyone's black bins, are they going to determine who isn't recycling? And when am I going to get paid for the time I spend sorting out which items can be recycled? My hourly rate is £120/hour.

I pay the fee for my green bin and am quite happy for my neighbours to use any unused space to avoid them putting garden waste in their black bins.

other countries manage to do it.

Who pays you for throwing out your garbage now?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Milky said:

other countries manage to do it. That doesn't answer my question does it? How do they determine who isn't recycling without rummaging through the contents of the black bin? That would be financially impossible. So do you have an answer or did you just throw out "other countries do it" as a way of killing off debate?

Who pays you for throwing out your garbage now? That's the point. The Council Tax Payer is doing unpaid work for the Council by sorting out recyclable rubbish from the rest. My time is surely worth something?

On 9/13/2019 at 7:35 PM, asperity said:

Well I only know how German system  works. It is compulsory to recycle there and they have people rummage through bins randomly, if you are found not to comply you get fined.

As for your second point, totally confused. The council uses your money to take away the rubbish, it cost the council and so you more to tip rather then recycle. If you want the council to pay you then you would have to pay the council plus red tape fee to get your money back.

How does it cost you anything to put your rubbish in a different coloured bin anyway and I presume the council does not pay you now to generate rubbish. Also who pays you to get rid of green rubbish unless you do not have a garden?

16 minutes ago, Milky said:

Well I only know how German system  works. It is compulsory to recycle there and they have people rummage through bins randomly, if you are found not to comply you get fined.

As for your second point, totally confused. The council uses your money to take away the rubbish, it cost the council and so you more to tip rather then recycle. If you want the council to pay you then you would have to pay the council plus red tape fee to get your money back.

How does it cost you anything to put your rubbish in a different coloured bin anyway and I presume the council does not pay you now to generate rubbish. Also who pays you to get rid of green rubbish unless you do not have a garden?

Well I don't know how the German system works (I'll ask my sister who lives there when I see her next month) but you have to admit that having teams of people rummaging through people's rubbish for evidence of non-compliance must cost money on top of the usual waste disposal costs. In fact if you're going to pay someone to rummage through the rubbish, they may as well be sorting the recyclables out of it while they're at it. Can't see WBC doing that somehow.

My point about being paid to recycle was hypothetical in that everyone's time is valuable, worth something. It may be only 10 minutes, but that 10 minutes could be spent doing something worthwhile for yourself, not doing an unpaid task for someone else who you are actually paying (through your council tax) to deal with. While I'm actually community minded enough myself to do this unpaid work, there are obviously many people who can't be bothered and you have to ask why should they? What is the benefit to them to sort their rubbish? The cost to the council of sending rubbish to landfill is the tax levied which is down to our beloved EU who decreed that landfill be restricted by taxation because of lack of holes in the ground in some EU countries. In this country we have more than enough holes in the ground but the EU operates on a "one size fits all" policy.

What is green rubbish? An oxymoron perhaps? Oh you mean garden waste! Nobody pays me to get rid of my garden waste, in fact I pay the council extra to take it away and compost it. I don't get any benefit from that, in fact I could have a bonfire once a month and annoy the neighbours.

1 minute ago, Milky said:

But how does it take you ten minutes to put something in a blue bin instead of a black one. 

Why should you do it, because it is the right thing to do, although my niece used to argue that having to rinse things out often takes up resources too.

You're just being deliberately obtuse here. The blue bin is emptied every fortnight. Over that fortnight you have been, hopefully, rinsing out cans, bottles etc. Collecting any paper and recyclable plastics. Vetting the items that you are putting in the blue bin to ensure that they meet with the requirements laid down for blue bin entry. Maybe seconds or minutes for each, but add it up over the two weeks and you easily exceed 10 minutes of your time that you could have better spent doing something more rewarding. Of course it's the right thing to do, and every concerned citizen should be doing it because it's the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean that the council has the right to try and blame us because THEY haven't met some arbitrary target. It's up to them to sort it out, that's what we pay them for. They are our servants not the other way round. The same goes for central government.

14 minutes ago, asperity said:

You're just being deliberately obtuse here. The blue bin is emptied every fortnight. Over that fortnight you have been, hopefully, rinsing out cans, bottles etc. Collecting any paper and recyclable plastics. Vetting the items that you are putting in the blue bin to ensure that they meet with the requirements laid down for blue bin entry. Maybe seconds or minutes for each, but add it up over the two weeks and you easily exceed 10 minutes of your time that you could have better spent doing something more rewarding. Of course it's the right thing to do, and every concerned citizen should be doing it because it's the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean that the council has the right to try and blame us because THEY haven't met some arbitrary target. It's up to them to sort it out, that's what we pay them for. They are our servants not the other way round. The same goes for central government.

Really???? I came on here to point out that the blue bin scheme should be more flexible, years after it has been introduced it still does not take in things like some plastics and electrical items, your the one who came on taking the conversation of why should I recycle and that batteries can by recycled in asda and now you are trying to tell me I am the one who is witless  really!!!

9 hours ago, Milky said:

Really???? I came on here to point out that the blue bin scheme should be more flexible, years after it has been introduced it still does not take in things like some plastics and electrical items, your the one who came on taking the conversation of why should I recycle and that batteries can by recycled in asda and now you are trying to tell me I am the one who is witless  really!!!

I didn't say you're witless, I said you're being obtuse. But if the cap fits......................................

They only want things put into the blue bin that they can realistically recycle. I've told you one way of recycling electrical items but you aren't interested in that, you want the convenience of just putting it in the bin.

In my neck of the woods  we still have to put a lot of recyclable materials in general rubbish because St Helens council  stipulate only bottles & cans can go in what is a pink bag.  Stuff like cooked meat & fresh meat  packaging  , which is no doubt still recyclable , has to go to the tip because apparently their machinery can't cope with anything but bottle shaped plastics.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:37 AM, asperity said:

I didn't say you're witless, I said you're being obtuse. But if the cap fits......................................

They only want things put into the blue bin that they can realistically recycle. I've told you one way of recycling electrical items but you aren't interested in that, you want the convenience of just putting it in the bin.

Are you trying to take over the role  of being the arkward one on the forum?

On 9/15/2019 at 3:08 PM, Evil Sid said:

not allowed to put bags in the recycle bin in warrington as they can't recycle them apparently.

or polystarin or hard plastic, or electrical items.

I know some things like polystarin are more difficult to recycle then others, but is it not a failure of both local and national government not to have plants that can recycle this stuff by now, I mean how many years is it now since councils have been recycling?

Poloticians from all parties go on about there being only 12 years to save the earth - or is it 11 now - and plastic in the ocean, why are they not providing the recycling?

Probably because they know it's not true. There is a problem with plastics but it's not going to kill the earth or us any time soon, and governments have more pressing problems to spend our money on like keeping the EU gravy train on track so they don't lose out on their pensions.

7 hours ago, asperity said:

Do you think I'm being awkward because I disagree with you? Not much point to a forum if everyone agrees.

no, because in order to oppose a view point you are going off topic. so you told me how to get ride of electrical stuff, that is great if it works for you but the point was about council recycling, not recycling by scrap dealers.

How am I going off topic by telling you how you can recycle electrical goods? And what do you think happens to any electrical goods that are taken to the dump? They are collected and recycled by scrap dealers of course!! So is this "failure by the council" or the council being sensible for once in their lives?

6 hours ago, asperity said:

How am I going off topic by telling you how you can recycle electrical goods? And what do you think happens to any electrical goods that are taken to the dump? They are collected and recycled by scrap dealers of course!! So is this "failure by the council" or the council being sensible for once in their lives?

Because the topic is about council bin recycling, but I will test your advice and will leave out an old DVD player I have been meaning to take to the tip; for years.

4 hours ago, asperity said:

At Gatewarth they have a container for DVD players, TVs etc which is emptied periodically by a private firm for recycling.

There's a couple of vans touring around that come down my road at least once a week looking for items that have been left out.

yes I know, I give up!