Who pays who ?

Observer II

In a nutshell yes.

Who gets paid depends on which carbon offsetting project you have in your portfolio of schemes.

There are companies set up to offer this service so anybody can can contribute. They offer calculators to work out your carbon footprint, offer ways to reduce it to as little as possible and then then work out a cost for whatever extra there is which you pay them and that goes to wherever they have a tree planting or other projects that will reduce the amount of carbon released into the atmosphere.(probably)

Another "bonus" is that as a lot of the projects are non-profit organisations the amount you pay is more than likely to be tax deductible.

a quick google of carbon footprint offsetting will give you endless info on this.

By the way obs if you are offsetting the pollution  with these projects are you really polluting the planet or having no effect at all? 🤔

• Haha 1

It's revealing how recent climate alarmists are such narcissists. Back in the 1970s the alarmists would pick a number like "70 years" which would give them a fair chance of having kicked the bucket before their fantasies could be shown to be garbage. Todays alarmists seem to want to be around when they are found out to be fruit-cakes in 10 to 12 years time. Charlie is one who seems to take perverse delight in predicting the earth's demise sometime in the very near future "if we don't do something immediately", but for some reason nobody calls him out on it. Or maybe it's because everyone knows he's nuts and ignores him.

• Upvote 1

Just wondering how long it will take for the penny to drop with the school kids following Greta Thurnberg;   we've now reached the material zenith of human development, and not without sacrifice and waste by previous generations.  But the problem is, it's easier to exist in an austere material culture when you've no experience of material bounty;  these kids have experienced such bounty and will have to give it all up to "save the planet" -  glad I won't see it.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have to be rich to offset your carbon foot print. I recall booking a sji holiday years ago and being offered the opportunity to off set thedamage I was causing, I seem to recall it was calculated at around £80 for a holiday to Italy.

It's revealing how recent climate alarmists are such narcissists. Back in the 1970s the alarmists would pick a number like "70 years" which would give them a fair chance of having kicked the bucket before their fantasies could be shown to be garbage. Todays alarmists seem to want to be around when they are found out to be fruit-cakes in 10 to 12 years time. Charlie is one who seems to take perverse delight in predicting the earth's demise sometime in the very near future "if we don't do something immediately", but for some reason nobody calls him out on it. Or maybe it's because everyone knows he's nuts and ignores him.

Albert Gore was one of the first to give the earth 10 years or the earth will be beyond redemption, he said this on 26 January 2006, he won the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to save mankind from global warming and catastrophe, he has made 50,000,000 dollers out of his campaigning and charges up to 175,000 for a speech, Yet his electricity usage is 3,400% higher then average. 

I am sure  Greta Thurnberg; bank balance is doing OK aswell as her parents, and if she is wrong in 12 years time will she care as she suns herself on a beach front property.Al Gore bought himself a beach front property, yet he predicts rising sea levels

Just wondering how long it will take for the penny to drop with the school kids following Greta Thurnberg;   we've now reached the material zenith of human development, and not without sacrifice and waste by previous generations.  But the problem is, it's easier to exist in an austere material culture when you've no experience of material bounty;  these kids have experienced such bounty and will have to give it all up to "save the planet" -  glad I won't see it.

Grata Thurnburg is just on a populist bang wagon but we are living in a very wasteful time, demolishion of good buildings, the amount of electronicswe throw out because they can not be updated or easily fixed and it is things like pound shop batteries that are next to useless but still eat up resources that should be being addressed as well as the distances goods travel to market

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Perhaps we should strive to return to a simpler pre industrial revolution time when everything was done parochially without the need for long distance travel .

Not a chance, there would be too many deaths from cold and hunger. Where would the vegans get their soya beans from?

59 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Perhaps we should strive to return to a simpler pre industrial revolution time when everything was done parochially without the need for long distance travel .

Been saying this for years Dave:  the food & supply miles today must be astronomical.   Why do we fly in prawns from Madagascar, when we fish them from our own shores for export to France ?   The only items we need to import are those we can't produce locally. Problem is of course most shoppers want cheap, so perhaps a tax on food miles might help even up the prices.

• Upvote 1

I suspect the main culprit is a politically enforced interdependence by the EU and global trade agreements;  ensuring each country gets a piece of the productive action; rather than complete production in one country at one single factory complex, thus cutting the overall need for complex supply chains, with HGVs pumping out pollution throughout. 

6 hours ago, Observer II said:

Been saying this for years Dave:  the food & supply miles today must be astronomical.   Why do we fly in prawns from Madagascar, when we fish them from our own shores for export to France ?   The only items we need to import are those we can't produce locally. Problem is of course most shoppers want cheap, so perhaps a tax on food miles might help even up the prices.

There you go again Obs. Cognitive dissonance. Why do we fly in prawns from one part of the world when we catch them here and export them? Because people make a profit from doing it that way. Like it or not money makes the world go round, and just because you don't understand it doesn't make it wrong. People go to the Asda and buy vegetables that they could just as easily grow in their garden, or buy from a neighbour who grows them, why? Because that's what a global market is. We buy what we want when we want it from whoever we want to buy it from at a price we are willing to pay.

Well Asp, your clearly in for a shock,  (assuming we're still around, which I doubt);  as it's all going to change.  The eco-warriors that have just closed down the centre of Manchester, will become a regular feature and Governments are taking notice of them.   The scale of action required to meet various green targets will totally change our lifestyles, not necessarilly for the better.

The eco warriors are the ones that are in for a shock if they carry on with their anti-social behaviour. It's only a matter of time before the general public gets tired by their childish behaviour and demands that the authorities stop tolerating them. There was an interview on NW Tonight with a Manchester Councillor bleating about how it was police advice to allow these nutters to break the law by obstructing the highway. Not my fault, nothing to see here, move along now.

Whilst I'd be first to condemn the actions of these so-called activists; the Manchester demo seems to be about traffic pollution in our cities (so not climate change or Brexit !).   We used to have it in the 50s, caused by coal burning fires, so the clean air act was introduced; so we can expect a similar response to traffic emissions and congestion.

Their stated aims are to fight climate change, though it seems a bit ingenuous to fight aginst the natural world. Perhaps they would be better spending their time educating themselves about what the real causes of climate change are rather than believing the myths promulgated by the likes of Al Gore who has made himself very rich by peddling misinformation.

No doubt, but this latest episode was targeting air pollution in Manchester, which like many UK Cities has reached above acceptable standards -  save everyone wearing breathing apparatus, the only solution will be to ban the internal combustion engine from our roads, which will cause a re-examination of our systems of supply and transport.

I was around in the 50s and I'm still here. My mum was around in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s etc up to a couple of years ago and never coughed up blood and soot. Methinks you've caught snowflake fever Obs. Just because someone says something is so doesn't make it true.