Butties

Stallard12

Been a very happy Texan for fifty years now, but there is one thing that I still miss - a bacon butty !  In the fifties, there was Duva bread, doughy, white and tasty, you could have made dentures from the teeth imprint left on every bite.  This plus a half pound of bacon with the fat hanging over the edge was to die for, literally !

In the days of factory canteens, my 10:00 am break at the British Aluminum was  two hand cut thick slices of bread, slathered with butter, layered with thick cut bacon, topped with a fried egg and cut diagonally, the egg yoke running down the sides.  Yum yum, gimme the HP sauce !

On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for two fat Cumberland sausages, split and loaded onto bread.   Then, of course, there's tomato sausage .........

Which is y'alls  favorite, they must be healthy, I'm still here.

I like a bacon butty, but sliced loaves are too thin. So I toast the bread and put the bacon between 2 slices with HP or Ketchup depending on how I'm feeling that day. With fried egg I prefer to do the whole bacon, egg, beans/tomato, black pudding and fried bread on a big plate with knife and fork performance. But not too often!!!

agree about the bread these days, used to be able to get an extra thick loaf at one time, great for bacon butties.

These days i tend to use a barm/bun/bap/roll or whatever you call them and if wanting to feel healthy, bacon grilled on the  George Formby grill. ( a bit like the george forman one but when the food is cooked it plays a little banjo riff and says "turned out nice again")

tomato sausage seem to be hard to come across these days. most seem to be lincoln, cumberland or irish recipe pork. then there are the 'exotic' ones such as red onion and pork, honey pork and leek. apple and whatever. and of course beef sausage. ask for tomato sausage these days and you get some really odd looks especially from the younger store people.

Of course my favourite is a smoked back bacon on toast. four rashers per two slices of toast and a set of metal tipped fingers to stop any accidental removal of said fingers during eating.

You can get sensational tomato sausages on thick cut farmhouse toast smothered in butter from Baker J’s cafe in the new market and I have to say they are not only amazing, they have also defeated me on a couple of occasions.  Great value too,  give them a try,  you know you want to

I don't think it has to be honest Stallard. We have a wide choice of cuisine in the UK now, and can pick and choose how we want. I remember staying at my grandparents when I were a lad, they had the same meals week in and week out. You could tell what day of the week it was by what my gran was cooking for tea, and none of it was foreign. The only time they ate foreign food was in summer in the Isle of Man because the hotel didn't follow their strict menus, but it was still traditional English fare. Now if I fancy foreign food I can find a restaurant or takeaway, or buy it ready made and chilled in a supermarket. If I want bacon it's available, if I want fish and chips there's loads of chippies around.

Don't want to appear too pedantic but I always thought a bacon buttie can't be called a bacon buttie if it's cut diagonally otherwise that would make it a bacon sandwich which is a bit posh for us northerners. 😁

Bill :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Cut a bacon buttie? what a novel idea. Does it make it taste better?

On a slight tangent but to do with health. a recent study has suggested that every pint of bee over five pints per week will shorten your life by fifteen minutes.🤔

Now then according to my calculations, given that i started drinking about age 17 up until present.averaging the number of beers i drink over that time gives some very interesting results.

Either

1. I should have lived until the year 2247.🧙‍♂️

or

2. I died in the year 1793.👻

• Upvote 1

Found another superb butty shop a while back but was in there today for an awesome sausage and bacon on farmhouse thick cut toast ( real butter not wagon fat)  Absolute belting food.  Chesters on Chester Road.