Northern rail new trains,

Davy51

Are these trains that Northern Rail are unleashing on the network next week really new trains or are they newly refurbished old trains ?  There were quite a few parked up in sidings at Blackpool last Monday & at different depots alongside the West Coast route .

They are really newly built trains from Spanish Manufacturer CAF. There are 7 sets of Diesel Multiple Units (Class 195) and two sets of Electric Multiple Units (Class 331) . The currently available diagrams have 21 services between Manchester Airport and Liverpool Lime Street  operating through Warrington Central each weekday. Four peak time services though Warrington Central are supposed to be double units but be warned you cannot walk from one end to the other inside the train!

The other 4 DMUs are doing Windermere/Oxenholme/Manchester Airport/Barrow/Preston journeys and the EMUs are doing Leeds to Doncaster.

• Upvote 1

My friend uses Northern Rail to get from Swinton to Wigan. He tells me that they have been using new rolling stock for a couple of months on the Manchester to Southport route for a couple of months now, although their punctuality is still poor. How much of that is down to congestion around Manchester I couldn't say.

46 minutes ago, asperity said:

My friend uses Northern Rail to get from Swinton to Wigan. He tells me that they have been using new rolling stock for a couple of months on the Manchester to Southport route for a couple of months now, although their punctuality is still poor. How much of that is down to congestion around Manchester I couldn't say.

Is that a change from Pacers to Sprinters? I would imagine you will be right about the delays but I don't know..

https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Search?Op=Srch&Fr=Swinton+(Manchester)+(SNN)&To=Wigan+Wallgate+(WGW)&TimTyp=A&TimDay=A&Days=Wk&TimPer=4w&dtFr=&dtTo=&ShwTim=AvAr&MxArCl=20&TOC=All&ArrSta=5&MetAvg=Mea&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=10&MnScCt=2

Click on an actual delay and it will show the details of that service and where the delays accumulated or started. Enjoy.

3 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

Is that a change from Pacers to Sprinters? I would imagine you will be right about the delays but I don't know..

https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Search?Op=Srch&Fr=Swinton+(Manchester)+(SNN)&To=Wigan+Wallgate+(WGW)&TimTyp=A&TimDay=A&Days=Wk&TimPer=4w&dtFr=&dtTo=&ShwTim=AvAr&MxArCl=20&TOC=All&ArrSta=5&MetAvg=Mea&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=10&MnScCt=2

Click on an actual delay and it will show the details of that service and where the delays accumulated or started. Enjoy.

I don't know, and my friend is as blind as a bat so he only knows that they are modern. I very rarely use the train, buses are good enough for me.

2 hours ago, asperity said:

I don't know, and my friend is as blind as a bat so he only knows that they are modern. I very rarely use the train, buses are good enough for me.

They may be good enough for you but he can't get a bus to Wigan direct from Swinton, and the journey is wholly within Greater Manchester!

2 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

They may be good enough for you but he can't get a bus to Wigan direct from Swinton, and the journey is wholly within Greater Manchester!

Exactly, so he gets free travel from Swinton to Wigan, and I get free travel fom Warrington to Wigan (Arriva number 360, half hourly service). 3 hours in the pub and we stagger our way to our respective homes again, happy 😁.

• Upvote 1