Texas

Stallard12

Beautiful evening, it's eight oclock, the sun is going down and the heat is going out of the day - down to 97.   Sitting on my patio, surrounded by the night sounds from the woods, with a glass of Black Jack and coke, sweating gently, Trump is President, could the world get any better?  

Damn, beautiful humming bird just missed my head and spilled half of my damn drink.  Ah we'll, crap happens. Keeping my eye on that red wasp, worst bite in history, damn, just missed me and spilled the other half of my drink.  Give me a minute to refresh and relax and to break up the fight between my cat and that f******* raccoon - ooh, that's going to mean a trip to the vets tomorrow!

All's well again, but I wish I'd have gotten my gun when I mixed my drink,  never mind, I'll get that sonabitch rattle snake tomorrow night.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

97 eh, only time it gets that warm here is when Mrs sid has the heating turned up to  turbo.

I could sit out back on my home-made bench seat with a black grouse in one hand and the brolley in the other,( don't want to water down the drink) and listen to the night-life in the area. the low drone of the planes coming into liverpool, the occasional whine of the ambulance sirens and the dull throb of the police helicopter overhead.

darn magpie still chattering away on the roof, neighbours barbie going well, now into the screaming drunks stage, that will need more than a few paracetamol in the morning and must make a mental note to get more slug pellets, considering how slow those buggers are they are really hard to hit with those pellets.

oh well pot that  for a game of soldiers off inside to thaw out and watch the test card channel.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Great posts Stallard & Evils  :lol::lol: 

I'm not sure I could live where you do with that heat and all those pesky critters though Stallard.

I think your Magpie has come to ours Evils as ones been making a right racket on our roof all day in the rain, plus my back yard had hundreds of blummin' slugs of all shapes, sizes and ages all over the flags last night too cos it had rained.  Where the bloody hell do they hide all day and why our yard?....we haven't even got any plants or greenery for goodness sake.  Can't put slug pellets down cos of the dog aargh....

Well Stallard, after all the plan changing that our friends went through, they eventually came to the same conclusion as you in that New England is pretty but also pretty expensive. So the planned Texas road trip is back on but unfortunately we seem to be taking a route that's a bit too far out to pay you a visit. 

Bill :)

Way to go Bill.

Slight pause, hope  you didn't hear all of that screaming !   Had to have a big toe nail removed yesterday and my wife is doing the first redressing as I type.  Apparently the doc used stretchable sticky tape and she had the make a dozen pulling unravels to get it off, hence twelve screams. Phew !!  It's a throbbing now, I think I would have told the Gestapo all I knew in the first 30 seconds !

Plenty of piney woods and the Gulf of Mexico beaches, but the summer time is a sauna, so you won't be missing much except great people.  Where do you have lined up ?

Must have been really painful as I heard you and I'm still here in Warrington. As regards the route it's

3 nights San Antonio / 2 nights Austin / 1 night Fort worth / 2 Eureka Springs / 2 Hot Springs / 2 Natchez / 3 New Orleans / 2 Houston.

Total distance is just over 2k miles so it's one of our shorter journeys. Not quite sure of the dates but its sometime the back end of August.

Bill :)

If the other posters excuse me for a minute I'll make a few comments.  San Antonio, great city, don't be too disappointed with the Alamo, it isn't in open prairie these days.  You'll probably spend your time downtown on the river - hope you like mariachi music.  Great food along the river.  The Little Rhine Steakhouse (inconspicuous front door right next to the Hilton) has a tree covered terrace sloping down to the river, beautiful spot for romantic dinner after dark. Expensive, with wine and the best steak ever - probably $100 per person, reservations needed, ask for terrace.

Austin, visit the capital building, its dome is as big as the Washington one.  Plenty of late night clubs in the West End, great food.  Surrounding area, the hill country, very pretty.

Cow Town aka Fort Worth, lot of old charm, you obviously will visit Billy Bobs, biggest honkytonk in the US, get your boots and hat ready.

Hot Springs, Arkansas, only been there once.

Natchez Mississippi, very pretty historic town.  Lots of antebellum homes and plantations to visit.

You will love New Orleans, wide open city, almost impossible to commit a crime there - no laws!  Obviously Bourbon St after dark is a hoot - no prudes allowed, go topless if you want to fit in, one big party, keep your hand on your wallet! .  Plenty to see and do during the day.  Jackson Sq is epicenter. If you use the trolleys, buy a day pass, only about $5 .  Take a two hour river cruise on the paddle wheeler, Natchez, great jazz music on there.  Bec and I will be there for a couple of days in September, it's only a three hour drive for us.  Almost as humid as our area.

Houston, get on the plane and out of there !  I'm probably not being fair, it's only a hundred miles from us, so we are there all the time for doctors visits and shopping, hate the traffic.

Driving is easy outside of the cities and food is really cheap.  We pay around $2.20 for a gallon of gas, but who knows if the damn Iranians keep sinking tankers !

2 hours ago, Stallard12 said:

Not worth starting a new topic, so let me piggyback this on - calling Dizzy.   I was born in the front bedroom of 81 Gig Lane , Woolston.  Why does my birth certificate say : Born in Newton, Winwick ?

I think Warrington had a Borough Council and a Rural District Council in those days Tex;   the latter covering the northern outlying areas. But that's a guess not a google.

Due to registration district changes.

woolston came under newton district for registration  purposes until 1974 when woolston was transferred from lancashire to cheshire. and newton was lumped in with merseyside.

my father in law had an all zone pass for merseyside which allowed free travel on public transport throughout the merseyside area, that included trains and ferries. what this meant was that he could get a train from liverpool to warrington and back but only had to pay for a ticket from newton to warrington and back, which was about £2.00.

8 hours ago, Stallard12 said:

Thanks guys.   I have always put Woolston as place of birth on my passport applications.  This time my good wife is insisting that Newton   Winwick has to go on to match the cert.  I see a screw up on the horizon !

Evils is right. It is in the Parished Area that was in Warrington Rural District within Lancashire and the registration District being Newton. However whoever checks your passport application is pretty unlikely to  know that and will almost certainly just check that it is the same as last time. They can see the birth certificate if they want to but checking what happened to registration districts is something people interested in genealogy might know but the passport office not so much.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:42 PM, Stallard12 said:

Thanks Con, figured as much, but difficult for me to envisage any kind of government building in either Newton or Winwick !   Got to go now, Man united are about to sign their 177 th player for next season. 

I have a suspicion that the Registrars office will have been at the Rural District Council offices in Museum Street, Warrington others on here may confirm or correct it. I suspect that Newton, Winwick refers to the registration district and sub-district which is correct for your part of the parish of Woolston at that time. These things move about but the Genealogists have tracked it.