Social Mobility ?

Observer II

What criteria was set to measure "getting on" ?

What areas of the country were examined using those criteria ?

What age range was targeted for examination ?

What period of time was used as proof of "getting on" ?

The big one what is meant by "social mobility" ?

🤔

2 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

What criteria was set to measure "getting on" ?

What areas of the country were examined using those criteria ?

What age range was targeted for examination ?

What period of time was used as proof of "getting on" ?

The big one what is meant by "social mobility" ?

🤔

The report is here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/798404/SMC_State_of_the_Nation_Report_2018-19.pdf

It is by the Government's Social Mobility Commission

• Upvote 1

"The Social Mobility Commission is an advisory non-departmental public body established under the Life Chances Act 2010 as modified by the Welfare Reform and Work Act 2016. It has a duty to assess progress in improving social mobility in the UK and to promote social mobility in England."

So in other words this Commission is admitting that, probably at great cost to the taxpayer, it has failed in its "duty to promote social mobility" since its inception. How does one get onboard one of these gravy trains I wonder? It would certainly improve my "Social Mobility" if I managed it.

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Just looking at the names of those on the Commission - couldn't really describe any of them as having a proper job

So help me out here, how would I recognise a "proper job" since Directors of law firms, senior managers at BT and academics amongst others don't count.

Well looking through the pdf document they have a need for somebody who can proof read or at least knows how to lay out a document without text flowing onto separate pages halfway through a sentence.

Page 5 is a good example, one line , which should be on the bottom of page 4 or maybe at the top of page five (it says iv at the bottom of the fifth page of the pdf)

There are several if you take the time to scroll down.

I do wonder what a "proper job" is myself.

Is a professional sports person employed in a proper job or an actor, how about an astrologist or philosopher.