Sign in to follow this  
Geoffrey Settle

Osteoarthritus - treatment go for it or not?

Hi

The practice nurse rang me at home last night and told me that the x-rays taken showed that I had osteoarthritis and did I want the operation now. I didn't even know what it is until I googled it.

It does explain the pains that float around my legs and muscles, shins etc the recent groin strain with my 28 day streak of running, the fact that for the last 3 years I haven't been able to get down to my feet to tie my shoes laces or cut my toes. The refusal of the sports physio to give me a sports massage . I even went to a Yoga teacher and did a session he has just told me that I can't come back.

What advice would you offer an aging athlete of 66 who want to get back to serious running?

Ignore it and plough on or go for the major operation on the hips?

The bad news is, there's no cure -  it's basically a case of your immune system attacking your own body; exercise can excite the   inflamation and create pain. So, it's down to the tablets (painkillers and anti-inflamatories) Geoff,   and if your really desperate, an artificial hip or knee.  

Get an electric scooter Geoff & keep taking ibuprofen. I started with it in my hands & wrists in my early 20s & it's just something you have to live with as it spreads through the body.

At least the aches & pains confirm you are still alive.

• Haha 2

Geoff,  I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 15 years ago.  With the help of Methotrexate (chemo in a pill ), daily Prednisone (steroid) and Hydrocondone pain pills for occasional severe attacks, I have lived a normal, athletic life, including bicycle racing and 18 holes of golf 5 days a week.  Overall stiffness is a problem, especially getting out of bed, but I move pretty good after about thirty minutes.  My golf swing suffers a little, but I shot 81 today, just one over my age, so it's not a disaster.  With the help of a good physician you can 'manage' the condition.  My kidneys are in continual jeopardy due to the aggressive medication, but as long as I drink a 55 gal drum full of water every day, they are surviving.  I would never consider surgery until you have tried medication.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1

In my personal experience , once I retired and became" of a certain age" my local gp's seemed to just humour me when I visited complaining about my bad back and shoulders, just keep on taking the pills I am told plus stop drinking and smoking(i.e. enjoying the last few pleasures available at my age! )

And all being well( If your still on this mortal coil) you will be seen for your medication review in 12 months time.

In other words "" Put up and shut up ""

Image result for doctors old people funny cartoons

• Upvote 1

What Geoff is talking about is an incurable ailment that can be positively identified from blood work.   Rheumatologists have computer software that identify all the symptoms .   It even shows up exactly where a current problem is located in your body - from imfamation heat I guess.  It's a little different than the usual aches and pains, if untreated you end up in a wheelchair.

The usual pills (methotrexate and steroids) can prove toxic over long periods, and damage the liver; new options like Erelzi (injection) are now available.   Seems our genetic disposition for such immune diseases was inherited from our ancestors interaction with Neanderthals, same with obesity !

Know it only too well Obs.  Been on those meds for about 16 yrs, get tested every three months and get the usual ass eating cos my creatic level is threequarters up the scale to failure - but can't drink any more water without drowning !  Unfortunately at my stage and my type of disease, nothing will work on me but the poison pills.  Still, can't complain, at the moment I have three friends undergoing chemo for lymph node cancer, I know that I'm the lucky one.

Well I feel I must eat humble pie here.

After my tongue in cheek comments on my local gp practice...

Yesterday I phoned for a blood test to find out why I had thirst and tiredness,answered almost immediately

.Fixed me up for the same morning.

Had test and results by midday today.

Spot on .. Private care would not have been faster.

image.jpeg.51f00ea48cefef72582253b2cb934d7a.jpeg