Knife crime ?

Observer II

Harsher penalties for perpetrators would be a good start.

Sentences should be given without time off for "good" behaviour.

I used to smile at the words spoken at the beginning of "porridge" but they are turning out to be truer all the time. "you are an habitual criminal that considers arrest as an occupational hazard and no doubt considers jail in the same casual manner"

• Upvote 2

Despite what Treesa  says ,we need a lot more police to deal with the problem ,then bang the culprits up for a long time to discourage others from carrying knives. It should set alarm bells ringing when an armed mob turns up at a school looking for their target. Bring stop & search back ,if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

• Upvote 1

Call me an old fogey if you wish.

But these problems started in the classroom, lack of strong discipline and lack of authority for several generations leads to a breed of children that decides WHAT IT WANTS IT GETS by whatever means they deem necessary.

This along with a proliferation of ultra violent movies and video games that encourage shooting and killing as the norm in order to win games.

We have created a perfect storm.

All those ""hug a hoodie"" hand wringing do good knowalls give yourselves a pat on the back.

Mission accomplished 😌

• Upvote 2

Think you've touched a lot of the bases there Latch;  societies reap what they sow; and there's an old saying "spare the rod and spoil the child".   Although a rebellious youth isn't a new phenomenon,  soft or absent parenting, followed by similar schooling, reinforcing a sense of entitlement and disrespect for authority, seems to have produced a contempt for social norms. The taking of a life, be it with a knife, a gun or a car;  no longer carries deterent consequences;  with a soft judicial sentencing and overloaded prison system; we appear to have created the perfect storm for this anarchy.

• Upvote 1

Interesting piece on the news, that, due to the school league table system, schools are now off loading basket case kids with exclusion orders, in order to improve their exam results.  What surprised me, is that in some cases, such kids have been out of education for several years and excluded from several schools.  So perhaps we need to see a return to borstals;  where a level of non-PC discipline can be applied  and perhaps the vacuum between their ears can be filled with some useful knowledge.

• Upvote 2

The bloke on the news was more or less saying that it isn't the actual exclusion that has caused the knife crime but the continuing disruption from the pupils has caused the exclusion then the knife crime has developed from that.

Maybe our ancestors had troubles in the past that made borstals & reformatories necessary & do gooders have sabotaged the well functioning system.

• Upvote 2

On 3/7/2019 at 2:52 PM, Davy51 said:

The bloke on the news was more or less saying that it isn't the actual exclusion that has caused the knife crime but the continuing disruption from the pupils has caused the exclusion then the knife crime has developed from that.

Maybe our ancestors had troubles in the past that made borstals & reformatories necessary & do gooders have sabotaged the well functioning system.

Image result for ferral tenagers cartoons

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Having seen some of the knives the police have confiscated i would have to wonder what sort of mother would have them in the kitchen drawer and to what use she would put them to.

Machetes, bayonets, katana's and even a klingon batlef, are among just a few of the items that have been seized, would need a really odd kitchen drawer to contain those items.

Oddly enough as a youngster i was actively encouraged to carry a knife and it was thought quite normal, but that is the scouts for you.🤫

• Upvote 2

No need for exotic knives Sid, just a sharp one will do, and small is easier to conceal - there used to be a fad for stanley knives,  which are ideal for severing the corotid artery = game over.  Which takes me back to my original  point, that it's not the weapon, but the mind set behind it that needs sorting out.

Has there actually been an increase in knife crime or just an increase in reporting knife crime in the media? 

Not too long ago it was people being killed with one punch that hit the headlines and became an overnight sensation.

(No need for a knife at all to stab someone , just something pointed and sharp enough to penetrate a few layers of clothing and the human body if used with sufficient force.)

The thinking seems to be "people are getting stabbed by other people carrying knives." 

"In which case i will carry a knife so that if confronted i can level the terms."

"On reflection if i carry a bigger knife then they will run away."

"however what if they have a bigger knife as well? best to get my retaliation in before they attack, yeah that's the way to do it"