Warrington Transit camp in 1949

eileenb39

Hello, I am new to this site, but I wondered if anyone can help me please?

After returning to UK from RAF Changi in 1949, we arrived at Liverpool and went to a transit camp in Warrington. Can any one tell me where this was please?
It was in huts with a communial dining room. I went to a local junior school too, but no Idea where that was either.

I would love to know as I am researching my family history and as this was part of it for me, would like to add it to my part of the history.

Thank you,

Eileen

there were transit camps around the Warrington area constructed during WW2 for the RAF but mostly for the Americans.

the camps were also used for a while post WW2.

dispersed living sites around Warrington at Scotia north, at Lowton

bruce hall and Canada hall down Manchester road on the east area of Warrington.

RAF croft at lady lane near Warrington.

was the living site the H block type of layout?         

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 10:04 AM, eileenb39 said:

After returning to UK from RAF Changi in 1949, we arrived at Liverpool and went to a transit camp in Warrington. Can any one tell me where this was please?
It was in huts with a communial dining room. I went to a local junior school too, but no Idea where that was either.

I would love to know as I am researching my family history and as this was part of it for me, would like to add it to my part of the history.

Thank you,

Eileen

I've just bumped into this topic:   RAF Padgate had married quarters in Canberra Sq and Meteor Cres,  which I would imagine were used for those in transit; but I suppose RAF records could help.

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2019 at 9:04 PM, eileenb39 said:

Thank you,

Eileen

Eileen: my uncle Harry Jepson served in the RAF and I believe that he was in Singapore during the war period.  A long shot but do you know the name or anybody that might?

• 2 months later...

Hi 

I lived at the RAF Croft  Transit camp in Lady Lane for about six months in 1953 or 54. My father was in the RAF and we had just come back from RAF Tengah in Singapore. I was 10 years old at the time and our family were at this transit camp before a posting to RAF Locking