Council tax going up nearly 3 per cent

Gary

• Gary changed the title to Council tax going up nearly 3 per cent

Well they do need the money, offices to pay for, banks to invest in and the like.

I do wonder wonder how much their pay rise will be this year.

Maybe, just maybe they will say we can't afford a pay rise so this year we will take a cut in our wages.

( ducks quickly as pigs aerobatic team do a low level fly past):roll:

• Upvote 1

Makes no difference what people think as there's nowt any of us can do about it and we  have to pay it as there is no 'shop around for cheaper quote elsewhere' option.  Same with United Utilities Water Bills too... that's the price and you are stuck with it... Hard luck... 

23 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

Makes no difference what people think as there's nowt any of us can do about it and we  have to pay it as there is no 'shop around for cheaper quote elsewhere' option.  Same with United Utilities Water Bills too... that's the price and you are stuck with it... Hard luck... 

Do you have a water meter Dizzy? I got one last year and I do save quite a bit of money that way. As far as Council tax goes, unfortunately as you say there's "nowt" 😂 we can do about it until the next local election 😉.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:55 PM, asperity said:

Do you have a water meter Dizzy? I got one last year and I do save quite a bit of money that way. As far as Council tax goes, unfortunately as you say there's "nowt" 😂 we can do about it until the next local election 😉.

No I don't have a water meter Asp.  On their website there is a facility where you enter details such as how many people in the house, how may wash loads you do a week, showers, baths blah blah and it then advises if you would benefit from having a water meter.  Based on what I entered it said we'd pay more with a water meter which surprised me especially was we don't have baths.  I didn't even mention my obsession with jet washing ha ha. 

• Upvote 1

We only had a water meter fitted a couple of weeks ago so I was quite surprised when we got a revised bill so quickly but even more surprised to find it was a reduction of over £30 a month. Who would have thought it would be that much, it's about what I spend each month on beer!!!  Should have done it years ago.

Bill :)

Well I've just turned 65 in October so it's also of a personal interest 😂 - I still haven't applied for my cold payment or bus/train pass (I handed back my car when I retired from work back in 2007) at least I get my meds for free - even if they might soon get held up on a channel ferry!

More focused now on getting back to running before times run out for me and I'm six feet under 😱

Edited by Geoffrey Settle
clarify

There has been a plan for at least six years to get Local Government out of Central Government's hair. By 2020 the budget that LG has control of will be paid for by fees, Council Tax and Retained Business Rates, all of which should rise with CPI. The 3% rise is not that much above the September CPI of 2.4%. The idea after that is that councils can get back control of their rate setting with control from local voters at the ballot box, and as a side effect cease to be able to blame Central Government for the council's failings.

I found Cllr Marks comments dissappointing because the reduction list in the budget is actually more detailed than past years. What Ian had to say was mostly just more political grandstanding. The capital investments that are meant to replace the 23% government grant cuts in real terms since 2010 were not criticised despite their riskiness. The council's obsession with the protection of just a few of the services they provide is a direct mirror of Central Government's policy to protect the NHS, Defence and Education funding. However it means that there appears to be no point to the council unless you are not infirm or disabled. For most of us I suspect we are surprised to see that 100 job cuts are possible since they have been telling us there is nobody left for years.

The public should, by now, be fed up of this state of affairs and be pressing for the council to exceed the limit of 3% and have convinced us of their competence to support a bigger rise in a referendum. The fact that they do not supports the view that they know the public does not support their direction, but on they go.