One More Down

Milky

On 2/17/2019 at 3:49 PM, Latchford Locks said:

Pubs were the heart of communities throughout the country. 

Now with the streets not as safe at night and the high prices they charge in comparison to supermarkets,it is more of a special trip than a regular communal evening out.

Also the generations that filled the darts and domino nights are slowly declining.

We need to reinvigorate those traditional values but I fear it will be a long uphill battle.

I find it interesting how some pub thrive and others die.

There are many closed pubs in Warrington but over the  years there have been new ones built too, example the one were the Skoda garage is now could not make it yet a brand new pub a few feet away is doing OK. Many like the Stretton Fox get refurbished. Went to the George and Dragon in Greater Budworth a few days  ago and while not packed was busy.

Go out once a week for a meal usually to a pub although this week was the KFC in Latchford and it is hard finding a pub that sell food that is different from the next one along

Pubs also do themselves no favours by selling soft drinks at such high prices. 

My family actually looked into buying a country pub some years ago and what put us off was the huge local rates payable at the time, don't know if it changed now.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:28 AM, Milky said:

I find it interesting how some pub thrive and others die.

There are many closed pubs in Warrington but over the  years there have been new ones built too, example the one were the Skoda garage is now could not make it yet a brand new pub a few feet away is doing OK. Many like the Stretton Fox get refurbished. Went to the George and Dragon in Greater Budworth a few days  ago and while not packed was busy.

Go out once a week for a meal usually to a pub although this week was the KFC in Latchford and it is hard finding a pub that sell food that is different from the next one along

Pubs also do themselves no favours by selling soft drinks at such high prices. 

My family actually looked into buying a country pub some years ago and what put us off was the huge local rates payable at the time, don't know if it changed now.

So you are trying?  Were you at either of the protests outside the pub?  Did you file an objection to the proposal with  Council?  Or did you simply whinge on the forum in a pretence of caring?

A century ago the ratio of pubs to people was a lot higher but then again, most homes didn't even have radios let alone phones or TVs and given the woman's place was in the home, a trip out to the boozer for the man was the norm. Given all these things have changed, it stands to reason that any pub that doesn't change with the times is bound to fail and despite most pubs doing family food, there are probably still too many. 

Bill :)

• Upvote 2

On 2/20/2019 at 6:41 AM, P J said:

So you are trying?  Were you at either of the protests outside the pub?  Did you file an objection to the proposal with  Council?  Or did you simply whinge on the forum in a pretence of caring?

No and yes.

OK PJ why are you so pro developers. What is it that you support the pulling down of a building that stood for hundreds of years, is full of charm and character in favour of putting up breeze block boxes so the developer can make £££££?

Our MPs, council and Councillors should represent the people who elect them or for who they work, instead time and time again they side with the developers. In case of the cabinet works they subsidized the developer to the tune of over a million pounds plus demolishion costs and no one seems to care. They demolished the old baths and spent millions putting up a crapy single pool instead.

• Upvote 2

On 2/20/2019 at 12:27 PM, Bill said:

A century ago the ratio of pubs to people was a lot higher but then again, most homes didn't even have radios let alone phones or TVs and given the woman's place was in the home, a trip out to the boozer for the man was the norm. Given all these things have changed, it stands to reason that any pub that doesn't change with the times is bound to fail and despite most pubs doing family food, there are probably still too many. 

But now women go to the pub so there is double the customer base and the population is so much bigger.

On 2/20/2019 at 12:27 PM, Bill said:

There are not a lot of pubs in Town centre I would take my wife , Bridge St is a sore on the Towns face.

Blue Bell/White Hart Barley Mow are ok but usually packed on a weekend due to the fact there are not that many options.

5 hours ago, Milky said:

No and yes.

OK PJ why are you so pro developers. What is it that you support the pulling down of a building that stood for hundreds of years, is full of charm and character in favour of putting up breeze block boxes so the developer can make £££££?

Our MPs, council and Councillors should represent the people who elect them or for who they work, instead time and time again they side with the developers. In case of the cabinet works they subsidized the developer to the tune of over a million pounds plus demolishion costs and no one seems to care. They demolished the old baths and spent millions putting up a crapy single pool instead.

Go on Milky, show me where I said I favoured demolition of the pub and the construction of breeze Block boxes.  I didn’t did I?  Do you are so concerned about saving this building you couldn’t be bothered going to the protests.  Also,  did you use the place before it closed?   What I am interested in is what you would have the OWNERS do with the place and you suggest an Antique  shop (pmsl)  which you admit you are clueless about.  Hilarious

I think the proof of the pudding is that traditional pubs including those selling food are still closing every day and they wouldn't be doing that if there was a shortage of pubs. 

I don't do a lot of pubbing these days but when I do I look for somewhere that sells real ales and is quiet enough to have a conversation with friends which rules out about 90% of the pubs in town. Top of my list at the moment is Wednesday night the Grocers at Cadishead, which is about as big as my kitchen and ram jam if it gets much more than 12 people. It doesn't even have a bar and only sells a couple of varying real ales at £3 a go but the proprietor runs it single handed, so almost no overheads but he's managing to buck the trend and make it work. 

The only pub I go to regularly is in Wigan, because I meet a mate of mine  there. He lives in Swinton so it's a convenient meeting place. It's small, clean, has real ale and TV for those that like that in a pub, friendly staff and no food. If you want food go to a restaurant. If you want coffee go to a coffee bar (there's enough of them to fill any town centre!)

On 2/21/2019 at 11:09 PM, asperity said:

The only pub I go to regularly is in Wigan, because I meet a mate of mine  there. He lives in Swinton so it's a convenient meeting place. It's small, clean, has real ale and TV for those that like that in a pub, friendly staff and no food. If you want food go to a restaurant. If you want coffee go to a coffee bar (there's enough of them to fill any town centre!)

Why is no food an advantage?

I do not get why pubs have TVs? OK I get large screens for special events.

Is it Wetherspoons  (I think) they have two TVs, on different channels and if you sit in the middle you get to listen to both!

On 2/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, P J said:

Go on Milky, show me where I said I favoured demolition of the pub and the construction of breeze Block boxes.  I didn’t did I?  Do you are so concerned about saving this building you couldn’t be bothered going to the protests.  Also,  did you use the place before it closed?   What I am interested in is what you would have the OWNERS do with the place and you suggest an Antique  shop (pmsl)  which you admit you are clueless about.  Hilarious

You never said it but your always attacking these that are opposite to the developers.

As for going to the protest not everyone has as much time as you on their hands, sometimes I have other things on. 

Why are you pysl? There are such things as antiques centers and it wasn't my only suggestion. It is easy to just dismiss things something your only capable off.

Are you an expert in locating antique centers PJ?

1 hour ago, Milky said:

Why is no food an advantage?

I do not get why pubs have TVs? OK I get large screens for special events.

Is it Wetherspoons  (I think) they have two TVs, on different channels and if you sit in the middle you get to listen to both!

It's called *** *****, sells good, reasonably priced, drinks. Having no food is an advantage, for me, because the customer doesn't have to queue at the bar waiting for the person in front to make up their mind about what food they want to order. If you want food go to Wetherspoons. It has TV because a lot of their custom likes watching sport while they're drinking. And it's quiet enough to have a conversation. The thing is there are pubs around to suit most tastes, and if you find one that suits you then you've got it cracked.

I'm not advertising the name of the pub. Don't want undesirables invading it 😂😂

10 hours ago, asperity said:

It's called *** *****, sells good, reasonably priced, drinks. Having no food is an advantage, for me, because the customer doesn't have to queue at the bar waiting for the person in front to make up their mind about what food they want to order. If you want food go to Wetherspoons. It has TV because a lot of their custom likes watching sport while they're drinking. And it's quiet enough to have a conversation. The thing is there are pubs around to suit most tastes, and if you find one that suits you then you've got it cracked.

I'm not advertising the name of the pub. Don't want undesirables invading it 😂😂

It is OK Asperity, I don't go into Wigan :)

Some pubs have separate tills for food some have waiters(ess).