Jumping Jack Flash,

Davy51

Hearing on the northern news about trying a mixture of gas & hydrogen in industrial & domestic cooking & heating systems in an attempt to save the climate & probably save gas reserves. Would the oxygen left if hydrogen is removed from water to mix with the gas help against climate change when it enters the atmosphere?  Surely then,with some algebraic equation ,we would not be far off producing the equipment to allow cars to run off water &  disperse life giving oxygen back into the atmosphere. Such a breakthrough on an industrial scale would soon put the skids under OPEC & the extortionate price of oil ,no doubt to be replaced by hydrogen at an extortionate price.

They have experimented with hydrogen for domestic purposes. Getting the hydrogen from methane rather than using electricity to get it from water is probably the most effective way. One problem with hydrogen is its tendency to leak due to its low density, which is probably why it isn't used domestically as yet.

6 hours ago, Davy51 said:

I remember Top Gear trying it in a car.  So the right way of going about producing hydrogen could solve a lot of climate problems?

It depends whether you buy into the global warming/climate change scam aka removing the money from the plebs as surreptitiously as possible.

I blame the farmers. All those cows and sheep pumping methane into the air,. why isn't that captured and used to produce energy instead of being allowed to add to the climate change.

Vegetarians have  a lot to answer for as well. if more people ate cows and sheep then there would be less of them around to produce methane.🤔🤨🤭.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Observer II said:

Won't the oil companies buy up any such patent, to stop it being used, if they haven't already done so ?

The currently most relevant patents are to do with hydrogen fuel cells and Toyota recently followed Tesla in making their patents royalty free. A shrewd move as if they get more volume being made by the same method it will drive the costs down and the profit up since the expectation of the market is already set and price falls are needed to make volume happen.

House heating is still a big problem and will be rather harder than vehicles as the demand is way larger. BEIS have commissioned a study of the possibility of using natural gas distribution to carry hydrogen and it was published today. It will take around 1.5 to 2 days work per dwelling and all of the homes on the same local main have obviously to be changed together. This does not seem practical today as no one has ever undertaken a similar exercise since the Town Gas conversion where the number of homes was less and the numbers of alternative feeding routes was lower. These days getting large numbers of people to be at home for two days to give entry to premises is seen by most industries as an insurmountable problem. It needs a complete rebuild of the distribution network as far as I can see. Where the Hydrogen comes from is not mentioned but very process there is will require further energy to be supplied.

There is no consensus on how to fix home heating as far as I can see

• Upvote 1

Bill, you would isolate areas at a time and duplicate the distribution to a few hundred houses at a time. When they did Town Gas the distribution pipes we all centred on a local gas works and many still are but newer houses are not constrained in the same way. It is certainly possible to duplicate the distribution. The fitters do one area then move onto the next which was how North Sea Gas was done. The houses are converted to dual fuel consumption boilers and fires etc then changed over when the supply in that area is changed over so two disruptive visits and lots of mess if they have to replace pipes. However the converted groups grow in number as the changeovers happen area by area and the network costs more than double as the distribution is duplicated. You would take the opportunity to bring all properties on grid I guess because the extra costs will get lost in the mega price we are going to have to pay.

9 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

I blame the farmers. All those cows and sheep pumping methane into the air,. why isn't that captured and used to produce energy instead of being allowed to add to the climate change.

Vegetarians have  a lot to answer for as well. if more people ate cows and sheep then there would be less of them around to produce methane.🤔🤨🤭.

I say Sid,surely these vegetarians are part of the problem anyway with their own flatulent contributions. Methane could soon be the gas of choice with  flatulence plants set up all over the country & contributing to a national grid to produce hydrogen.

That is as maybe davy but we are not allowed to eat vegetarians.😟  (yet :wacko: )

A flatulence plant. Could make the answer to the question "and what did you do at work today daddy" quite interesting. 🤧 🤢🤣

I do sometimes wonder how much gas pressure has to build up in the human body before the safety valve operates....🤔

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough ,they were showing a very light car on BBC local news tonight which incorporated the amazingly strong graphene into its construction. Should be good for reducing fuel consumption ,but how light can a vehicle become before it starts to leave the road & become a safety hazard ?

a lot would depend of the vehicle size and weather conditions. Given a strong enough wind even a fully laden container wagon gets blown over.

Did not see the news last night but the car i drive has an kerb weight of 400kg according to the specifications. (which is about twice the weight of my motor bike but only half the engine size of the bike)

I don't think I'd feel that comfortable knowing I've got 5 litres of hydrogen at 10,000 psi sitting behind me. That's probably about the same amount as the Hindenburg had! I honestly can't see this kind of technology in cars getting much further than it is now as the charging infrastructure for pure battery powered cars is miles ahead. People would think twice about buying any vehicle, however green they might be, i f the refuelling points aren't readily accessible (a bit like LPG).   

I've thought hard about going green but in the end opted for a 4.7 litre petrol model weighing in at 1880 Kg so not much chance of getting blown off the road in that in either sense 😃

Bill :)

• Upvote 1