Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Observer II

Time for regular re-tests ?

Recommended Posts

Seems an 80 yo couple crashed into car whilst driving the wrong way, whilst towing a caravan,  on a M/way, killing themselves and the 30 driver of the other car. Not the first time this has happened of course; so is it time for regular re-testing (including medicals) for all drivers ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

every three years sounds about right until the age of 70 then every twelve months after that. 1st failure gives automatic ban for next three years. any infringements such as speeding automatic three year ban effective immediately.

would take 90% of cars off the road in the first three weeks, provided much needed revenue for public transport, provide a boost to local businesses such as cycle shops and keep the lycra louts happy as they will have less car drivers to complain about.:ph34r:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

any infringements such as speeding automatic three year ban effective immediately.

In the interest of fairness should the same ban be imposed on the boy racers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, asperity said:

In the interest of fairness should the same ban be imposed on the boy racers?

sorry did not make that clear that should apply to all drivers of any age, race or sexual orientation. (including the lycra louts).

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

every three years sounds about right until the age of 70 then every twelve months after that. 1st failure gives automatic ban for next three years. any infringements such as speeding automatic three year ban effective immediately.

would take 90% of cars off the road in the first three weeks, provided much needed revenue for public transport, provide a boost to local businesses such as cycle shops and keep the lycra louts happy as they will have less car drivers to complain about.:ph34r:

The sight of 70 pluses taking to the road in lycra because they had no other form of transport could be too much for the feint hearted. How about hover boards for de motorised pensioners ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest example of just how thick some drivers can be :-   A driver, giving a lift to two friends, stopped in the fast lane to climb over the central reservation into opposing lanes, which were closed for maintainance, to ask workmen for directions.  Within minutes three cars swerved inside the parked car, but a fourth ploughed into the back, killing the two female passengers in the back. He was sentenced to two and a half years in prison.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to believe that anyone could be that stupid and that would have to include the passengers who stayed in the car.

Was this age related or just someone who's mental capacity was somehow impaired?

 

Bill :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly looks that way because stupidity like that can come from an idiot whatever their age.

As for re-tests, well I'd be broadly in favour of that especially if it takes some of those off the road that drive like they just passed their test the day before. I know quite a few people who hold a licence but don't drive on a regular basis and as a result they don't have a lot of experience and tend to drive too slowly causing frustration for others.  

At the moment, it's possible to get a licence at seventeen, never drive for fifty years then just jump in a modern powerful car and create havoc on the roads, how bonkers is that? Maybe instead of age related re-tests there could be a requirement to clock up a certain amount of driving hours each year thereby ensuring driving skills aren't lost.

 

Bill :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bill said:

Certainly looks that way because stupidity like that can come from an idiot whatever their age.

As for re-tests, well I'd be broadly in favour of that especially if it takes some of those off the road that drive like they just passed their test the day before. I know quite a few people who hold a licence but don't drive on a regular basis and as a result they don't have a lot of experience and tend to drive too slowly causing frustration for others.  

At the moment, it's possible to get a licence at seventeen, never drive for fifty years then just jump in a modern powerful car and create havoc on the roads, how bonkers is that? Maybe instead of age related re-tests there could be a requirement to clock up a certain amount of driving hours each year thereby ensuring driving skills aren't lost.

 

Bill :)

And this is a reason for drivers to lose their tempers and drive badly? A good driver will allow for the behaviour of other drivers and drive accordingly i.e. safely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, a couple of other news stories appearing, where Police have stopped "drivers" with damaged or frosted up windscreens, thus impairing their vision from the car.  Again, like using a mobile phone, just plain stupid; but this kind of idiocy will continue until we have draconian policies to cull such idiots from our roads EG: powers for plod to confiscate driving licences from offenders, and a re-test requirement to get it back - should concentrate minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are drivers knocking about who have up to 21 points on their license and are still allowed to drive.

To my mind that is sending the wrong message to drivers in general.

12 points is the point at which a ban comes into place and that should be it, banned for x months/years, no appeals, no sob stories, banned.

If caught driving whilst banned automatic six months in the nick.

if you type in driving van points you get at least two adverts from law firms who will try and help you to beat a ban.

During my time as a passenger escort with various companies i have seen some really scary things people do whilst driving. Putting on make-up, shaving and even once somebody eating a huge bowl of cornflakes. All these type of activities show bad time management, get up five minutes earlier and do all that before you leave the house.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buddy's father was forced to take a driving test in 1940 while doing his training in the RAF.  He was given a license at the end of the day.  He didn't drive again until 1960 when his fish and chip shop profits enabled him to buy a new Humber Hawk.  Oh my, how many times did his family and me die, as he happily overtook a sane driver right on the crest of a narrow Welsh hill !!

I think that it is competence rather than age that is the problem, a bad driver will always be a bad driver.  Look at me, I'm almost 80 and I'm the best driver in the world!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't argue there stallard, some people would never pass their test again even a week after passing it the first time.

Can't say i am a good driver as these days i do not drive a great distance. (i have an eight year old car with less than 7000 miles on the clock which between mots' last year and this had done 500 miles in total).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a fact of life that ageing lessens a persons  faculties.  eyesight, reaction speed, physical strength and stamina, concentration etc etc.  I would be all for a re test beginning at 65 and every year after that.  Not a full test, a faculties driving test,  been behind so many old duffers who are a danger to everyone around them, oblivious to the world and driving IN A HAT ffs lol.  I know bad driving isn't confined to the crusties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think that a medical, including eye test, is needed after a certain age in spain. I can remember the late father in law saying something along those lines. Not sure if it was a yearly thing or every three years though.

Always have a chuckle at something the late father in law used to say about drivers. it was "be careful around drivers who are smoking a pipe" ,never quite sure what that meant, can only assume that pipe smokers get more distracted than others whilst driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And whilst we are at it, just got stuck behind an old dodderer trying to use the self checkout at ASDA, it was excruciating to watch.  He really would be quicker and less stressed using a manned counter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

 

Always have a chuckle at something the late father in law used to say about drivers. it was "be careful around drivers who are smoking a pipe" ,never quite sure what that meant, can only assume that pipe smokers get more distracted than others whilst driving.

I imagine a crusty in a hat smoking a pipe whilst driving would be the perfect storm Sid 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there was a similar saying about drivers that wore trilby hats but pipe or hat it's more of an age thing.

 

Bill :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lots of young people these days wearing trilby's, think it's some kind of fashion fad. Waistcoats becoming popular again along with pocket watches on albert chains. (well in the trendier parts of the country anyhow).

Anyway i have noticed that young females on their own in a car tend to be more aggressive drivers than young males in a car on their own. For some reason they seem to be in much more of a hurry to get where they are going. ( i am not being biased against female drivers merely making statement based on personal observation.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×