Not so smart M/ways -

All the systems are centrally controlled, presumably to maintain traffic flows - think we have one at the Battersby Lane Island with it's CCTV and periodic traffic lights.  The danger of "smart" M/Ways is the lack of a "safe" lane for breakdowns or for alternate use by the Emergency Services -  clearly a stupid idea from the start,  no doubt designed to save money on widening schemes.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Based on observable facts that is one of the most stupid posts I have ever seen. The rest of the thread contains sensible comments about the difficulty of storage and indirectly of generation density.

This is getting a bit far removed from motorways but there has to a limit to how much use can be made of unreliable sources like wind and solar. When the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine, w

I did read it before. It was irrelevant then and it still is. The Guardian has had a period when it deliberately exaggerated every climate story as part of its effort to get more money from left wing

Milkey. America doesn’t have anywhere near as many heavy goods vehicles as we do so road repairs are less common but where they differ dramatically is in their safety restrictions.

I reckon we go well over the top, with safety measures taking longer than the actual repairs. US roadworks tend to be a few hundred yards with only a slight reduction in speed so I don’t see why we couldn’t do the same and keep the traffic moving.

Bill :)

12 hours ago, Bill said:

Milkey. America doesn’t have anywhere near as many heavy goods vehicles as we do so road repairs are less common but where they differ dramatically is in their safety restrictions.

I reckon we go well over the top, with safety measures taking longer than the actual repairs. US roadworks tend to be a few hundred yards with only a slight reduction in speed so I don’t see why we couldn’t do the same and keep the traffic moving.

How do the Americans get their goods to the destination?

I agree with the safety and road works, other countries do it far better and quicker,

14 hours ago, Observer II said:

All the systems are centrally controlled, presumably to maintain traffic flows - think we have one at the Battersby Lane Island with it's CCTV and periodic traffic lights.  The danger of "smart" M/Ways is the lack of a "safe" lane for breakdowns or for alternate use by the Emergency Services -  clearly a stupid idea from the start,  no doubt designed to save money on widening schemes.

So what should happen to duel carriageways like the A55 where there is no safety lane or smart signs?

Smart motorways are controlled by computers and sensors, they are over looked by seven control centers. 

imo there should be lay-bys on such dual carriageways.  On "smart" M/ways, if the controller sees a break down on a live lane, they initiate a close signal for that lane; BUT in the time between spotting the breakdown and activating the signal (assuming all drivers take notice), several vehicles will be speeding into the rear of the broken down vehicle.

Obs, Yep that could easily happen but begs the question would the technology or person have spotted my car the other week when it was only just making 20 mph? 

Milky Goods are moved long distances by rail and it's quite impressive to see the trains with three or more engines and about a mile or so long. This is why the main Interstate roads don't have anything like the volume of heavy goods vehicles that we have. Once you get nearer large areas of population though, somewhat smaller trucks do the local moving about. 

14 hours ago, Bill said:

Obs, Yep that could easily happen but begs the question would the technology or person have spotted my car the other week when it was only just making 20 mph? 

Milky Goods are moved long distances by rail and it's quite impressive to see the trains with three or more engines and about a mile or so long. This is why the main Interstate roads don't have anything like the volume of heavy goods vehicles that we have. Once you get nearer large areas of population though, somewhat smaller trucks do the local moving about. 

YOu do realize America is much larger then the UK?

I believe 70% of goods are  moved by trucks in the USA while in the UK the figure is 76%. there are 3.5 million trucks in the USA while in the UK there are 500,000.

Putting goods on trains or boats does not actually reduce freight road millage by much as you still need to get the goods to Walmart from were the train unloads.

Of course they have trucks just the same as we do for the local movement of goods but for longer distances, a lot of their stuff is moved by rail. Without the heavy trucks, the main motorways don’t need repairing anything like as much as ours, so there’s infinitely less traffic disruption. Over the years, I’ve lived and worked in the states and driven the length and breadth of the place and other than in the cities and suburbs, driving over there is a real pleasure compared to the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 7:18 PM, Bill said:

Of course they have trucks just the same as we do for the local movement of goods but for longer distances, a lot of their stuff is moved by rail. Without the heavy trucks, the main motorways don’t need repairing anything like as much as ours, so there’s infinitely less traffic disruption. Over the years, I’ve lived and worked in the states and driven the length and breadth of the place and other than in the cities and suburbs, driving over there is a real pleasure compared to the UK.

Again the USA is a lot bigger then the UK, but find it hard to believe goods are shifted by train that are reasonably local that is within 200 miles or so, so although I do not know anything about logistics in the USA I bet trucks do venture out beyond cities and suburbs. Ships often take the place of trains in Europe shifting large shipments. 

Still that is not what I came to write. Went to Oldham today and a rare trip on the M62. Still surprised the roadworks on the smart motorway are not finished even though I heard on the TV they were about to end a few weeks ago and the sat nav said the road was roadworks clear. 

However there are lots of places one can pull off the carriageway be it on to grass or soil. There seemed to be a lot more places were run off could be created as there os room although there are grassy slopes so they would need to be excavated and probably a retaining wall built. I know thjis would cost extra but it is a government contract after all.

As it is I did not see any safe run of areas were one can pull over in case of emergency.