Brexit again -

Observer II

TF, It is up to the government whether or not to impose tarriffs on imports. If they have any sense they will impose 0% tarriffs thus making imported goods (specially food from outside the EU because whatever tarriffs you impose have to be imposed equally wherever they come from). If the EU want to impose tarriffs on goods from the UK then it is the customers in the EU countries receiving the goods that will have to pay them, not us. The EU imposes tarriffs on goods coming into the EU from countries outside the EU to discourage competition, and to keep the French farmers from blocking the streets periodically.

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.

Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government.

Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord’s temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices?

Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God’s help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do.

I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.

Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!

Oliver Cromwell

Couldn't have put it better myself!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, T F and the Wire said:

I thought that tariffs could just be aimed at certain countries. Remember Trump targeting Chinese goods recently.

That kind of targeted tariff is normally an anti-dumping duty when a producer is selling below the equivalent price in its home market to obtain market share abroad. Under WTO rules such actions must be notified and rulings obtained from the WTO to sustain the duty, which is subject to appeal by the producer nation. That is why you hear about specific types of goods for which evidence exists rather than simply goods from a particular country, although the news media does its best to distort this part of the story most of the time.

Don't know if anyone will look this far down - what is this topic now, 10 pages ?    

Seems to me that the folks who voted 'for' Brexit thought that if they won, England would become England again, simple as that.  But as usual, in politicians minds nothing is allowed to be simple .  Now nobody seems to know what the hell they voted for and the arguments / discussions are just going around in circles, pretty much like every meeting in Brussels since day one.  Pity y'all can't grab them by the neck and shake them !

• Upvote 1

Pity y'all can't grab them by the neck and shake them !

A nice thought. (Although there are some who would not aim so high 😮 )

But since the dawn of "professional" politicians some time back we have nobody that considers it more than just another job which they can walk away from whenever things get a bit bothersome. Politicians these days remind of stars wars episode  2 or 3 . (Attack of the clowns, 🤡 or revenge of the stiffs.🧟‍♂️)

3 hours ago, Stallard12 said:

Don't know if anyone will look this far down - what is this topic now, 10 pages ?    

Seems to me that the folks who voted 'for' Brexit thought that if they won, England would become England again, simple as that.  But as usual, in politicians minds nothing is allowed to be simple .  Now nobody seems to know what the hell they voted for and the arguments / discussions are just going around in circles, pretty much like every meeting in Brussels since day one.  Pity y'all can't grab them by the neck and shake them !

It seems to me that the people who voted Leave wanted just that - to Leave. The ones who are confused are the remoaners who are unable to understand what a democratic referendum is. Similar to the US electorate. Those who didn't vote for Mr Trump are unable to understand that the result of a democratic vote stands even if they don't like it. The state of western education these days!

Should we really be surprised that it is so difficult to carry out the result of a democratic referendum when so many celebrities/politicians/ex-politicians/footballers/non-british millionaires/non-resident brits/junkie female singers/crisp salemen etc have been doing all they can in the last two years to make it fail.

• Upvote 1

blockade the ports!!!!!! (works for the french) 🤭

so we now have a vote of no confidence in the current gov. There is talk of suspending article 50 and of the possibility of a new referendum or a general election.

So why suspend article 50, we as a country voted out, article 50 gives up that get out.

If they want to hold a new referendum then why not wait until we are out first. give it twelve months and then hold one.

By all means have a general election, it will just mean that the same old faces will be there but with different job titles.

Still drawing their wages and topping up their huge pension pots whilst telling us that we should be doing more to tighten our belts

"after all we are only getting a 25% pay rise this year, we don't really want it but that is the amount that was decided on by the ministers and we can't change that honest" says one politician as he climbs into his top of the range motor and heads for his gentleman's club for a few brandies and a good meal.🤥

• Upvote 2

I finally have a clearer understanding of the Brexit problems.  Read a very long article on a US news webpage which detailed what it called 'the comedy of errors'.  Hope y'all won't blame me for the comments, cos I know that I get huffy when foreigners insult the US.

it was headed by the statement, 'The UK is being led by idiots!'     This was expanded to explain that the elite ruling class in Parliament, had done nothing but lie and cheat since the Brexit vote happened.   It listed as stupid that Cameron resigned on day one and left everything in shambles.  Then the 'stupid' decision to sink Boris which opened the way for May, an anti- Brexit, to implement the exodus deal, which she has totally botched.

They quote inside sources at the EU, who say that the intention is to make Britain stay or suffer years of vicious persecution and an exit deal is a pipe dream.  It concluded that Britain can only leave the EU on a no deal basis, anything else was always impossible.   This is the only way y'all have any hope of regaining your sovereignty.  The article went on to say that they think you should do it and then get rid of all the 'idiots', which hurts me cos they all seem to be Conservatives.

Is this a fair account?

What's surreal about the current farce, is that the very people who have sort to confound any plan to meet the wishes of the people in the referendum, albeit weak and soft;  now have the nerve to move a "no-confidence" vote against the Gov.  It's those very people that the people should have no-confidence in and if Corbyn want's a General Election - bring it on.