About time ?

Observer II

Seems the EU may be doing something right for a change -  following an EU wide consultation (did anyone know?); they are considering scrapping the practise of "putting the clocks forward or back" and having BST throughout the year. Can't say I ever understood the need for a clock change in the first place, surely it would have been simpler to just alter work routines by starting an hour earlier or later as required ?    :huh:

I didn't realise that it was an EU ruling actually, I just thought we had continued the UK practice that dated to the First World War (apart from an experimental period 68-71). Anyway in my opinion all year GMT +1 is sensible, specially if the EU are going to keep to one time throughout the year.

Asp, we did carry on the old UK practice and the EU Directive 2000/84/EC changed the previous practice of deciding each year what the period of summer time would be. It was fixed to change clocks from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October. The reason given was to facilitate transport and communications across the union. The actual time in a country is a national matter and it is the period of summer time which is currently regulated to avoid time tables for cross border trains that are only valid for a week and confused everyone. Someone should have told Northern Rail about that!