Taxpayer milked again -

On 8/19/2018 at 1:07 PM, Observer II said:

Princess Eugenie wants a show off wedding, and security will cost the tax-payer £2million.  Her father is estimated to be worth £55million, so why isn't he paying for it ?  

Good point Obs.    I must admit I've never taken much notice of her or her parents...not intentionally but they never get to be in/on the news much so I forget they exist.

A lot of normal brides and groom pay towards their own weddings these days with a little help from parents too so what does Euginie and her soon to be hubby do for a living?  Can't see they will be hard up so maybe they could both contribute too especially as she's the one you say wants a 'show off' wedding.

Maybe long term their wedding and vows would mean more to them if they'd had to work hard to save up and pay towards it all too....... :wink: 

• Upvote 1

A quick google search just showed that Eiginie has an estimated net worth of £3.6 million.  Not bad for a 28 year old !!  Can't find out as quick how much her fiance is worth  and too tired to bother looking harder.

Bit weird that the two of them are blood relatives though although somewhat distant through their great great grandparents lines.    Keep it in the family eh ha ha...

• Upvote 1

Whilst I'm not a Republican by any means, I think the Royals are losing sight of a convention they adopted post- French revolution, to minimise outward expressions of their wealth and privilage, especially in an era of austerity and growing wealth inequality.   One would think our politicians would rein them in, especially those outside the the immediate family, who could join the rest of the prols;  whilst the next in line move to the more modest life styles of their Scandanavian cousins.    

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I read a news article a couple of weeks ago where a happy couple had set their hearts on a particular wedding then set up a crowd funding page to cover the cost. This wedding paid for by the taxpayer is very similar to crowd funding apart from the fact Joe Public doesn't have a choice.

The Trump visit was a State visit, and thus a State responsibility, made more expensive by the antics of protesters.  The "Royal" Wedding is not a State occasion, but a private one,  no doubt Andrew would like his kids to be on the Royal payroll, but his older brother has knocked him back.  It's his responsibilty to shell out on the wedding, not the tax-payer.

• Upvote 1