BoJo !

Observer II

Well what I thought he said was that he didn't like them and made a remark about them looking like post boxes. However he said they shouldn't be banned ( as they have in Denmark, which was the context of the remark). Cue "offenderati" (nice one, Asp). He was consistent and liberal, which deserves punishment appaently. The "offenderati" however think he should not have the right to express an opinion at all and various Tories think it is a good opportunity to knock the most popular candidate with conservative members for the role of their next leader! Meanwhile in the press it is the silly season, and hence back to Obs' point!!!

• Upvote 1

Think Jack Straw summed the situation up over 10 years ago; if women entered his surgery wearing a burka, he would ask them to remove it or leave.  Face recognition is now a vital part of public security, and we probably have more CCTV per capita than anywhere else.  So a ban on all face covering in the public space would seem appropriate imo.  As for the religious aspect of this,  I find such archaic practises in the 21st century incongruous; far from being Islamaphobic, this is merely a secular view and applies to all religious symbolism and display, by any religious group.  As the old saying goes - "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" - it is for all cultural groups to assimilate into the host society, not continue with primitive practises in some kind of parallel social silo. Diversity = division.       

• Upvote 1

Well said Obs, & if these people want to live in a medieval ,oppressive regime that imposes complete covering in its religion then maybe they would be more comfortable living in a stricter country. I am surprised that our so called women's libbers & the #me too brigade have not lumped this outdated practice together with  gender equality & abuse towards women. but they are strangely silent on the matter. In these secularly enlightened times ,state security should be the watchword & should be prominent over religious matters.

• Upvote 1

The way this is playing out on the news, merely highlights the pathetic state of UK politics at the moment, and the descent into the trivia of identity politics.  Perhaps it's time for the silent majority to start calling out the "offenderati",  and ending this excuse for stifling free speech.  Of course, one person's view may offend someone else, but that's no excuse for censorship or avoiding issues; get it out there, have the debate and form your own opinion; which is supposedly the essence of politics.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Perhaps it's time for the silent majority

Silent?  Silent 😄😄😄😄😄😄

you have seriously got to be joking.  The Gammon on here never stops bleating, whinging and complaining.  Ffs

The London Mayor, Sadiq Khan (a Muslim) said more or less the same thing as Boris a few years ago, as did Harriet Harman, Anna Soubry, Emily Thornberry and others too numerous to mention. None of them has been censured in this way, so its obviously a political move against Boris probably orchestrated by our useless PM.

• Upvote 1

As the forces of the liberal establishment try to close down any rational discussion of the burka/niquab issue, with cries of "Islamaphobia" , "hate speech", and "racism"; I was interested in the views of Taj Hargey, (Hard Talk BBC) the Imam at the Oxford Mosque, who is advocating a liberal form of Islamic teaching, which is based solely on the Quran and refutes all the additional "add ons" of the traditionalists, such as the wearing of face coverings.  Perhaps the Muslim equivalent of a Martin Luther, he attacks the more traditional conservative teaching of Islam, and advocates a more modern form of teaching that adapts to local social enviroments and thus aids real integration. Perhaps it's time our liberal elite, normally concerned with the equality and freedom of women, started to support Muslim modernisers rather than the conservative elements that promote "hate speech" with calls to Jihad, and the preservation of female disempowering practises invented by men.

• Upvote 1

Well I have never been frightened of a woman wearing a bhurka,  I have never seen them act in a violent manner.  men in suits on the other hand , I have seen them causing lots of trouble.  Do not be scared of these little women  you needn’t be.

3 hours ago, P J said:

Well I have never been frightened of a woman wearing a bhurka,  I have never seen them act in a violent manner.  men in suits on the other hand , I have seen them causing lots of trouble.  Do not be scared of these little women  you needn’t be.

Who has suggested that women wearing burqas are "frightening" or "violent"? Who has suggested that people should be "scared" of them?

4 hours ago, P J said:

Exactly, who's suggesting that ?   Whether it's a burka, motorbike helmet, Guy Fawkes mask, KKK hood or ski mask;  I would expect it to be the norm, that people show their face in public for mutual recognition and recognition by the Police in the event of criminal activity.