WBC WTF IS CRC

Bill

I've just been down to the Woolston tip only to find a totally chaotic situation with cars going down the dead end road only to find the tip gates closed and as more and more cars joined the queue the harder it got for everyone.  it's bad enough getting caught up in something like this where you can't turn around but for those with trailers it became a bit of a nightmare. 

All of this could have easily been avoided if the council had used a little common sense and some plain English. The sign saying CRC CLOSED clearly meant nothing to those that had already turned in and joined the queue. Why in heavens name do these people insist on using their own obscure terminology rather than the name more commonly used by the public? Ask anyone where Woolston Tip is and you'll get an answer but ask where or what the CRC is and all you'll get is a blank look.

I've always known a CRC as a method of checking data accuracy but to a copper it's a criminal record check but if you're a councillor its the local tip.

Bill :)

It has been on the news pages a few times recently that Woolston's was closing for some weeks Bill (getting revamped as is Gatewarth so as to put the final nail in the coffin of Stockton Heaths Tip.....sorry I mean CRC). 

I agree with you though as I doubt many would have any idea what CRC means as I'm sure most, like me, just call it them the TIP.  I'd have presumed CRC was a business down there not the tip.  

PS what is QRC..as in your header title?  :wink:  lol

It was a typo Diz, not that it makes any difference if nobody on the planet knows what it means anyway. 

Maybe the council are so cash strapped they can't afford the extra letters it would take to make it understandable 

I saw the closure notice a few weeks ago but I'd quite simply forgotten about it. 

It'll be interesting to see what they do at Sankey Bridges although I'm not sure if that's also a narrow dead end where it's difficult to reverse or turn around.

• 1 month later...

They would need at least a week to prepare a risk assessment meeting and a further four weeks of planning to get the wording right before putting it out to tender plus several site meetings with the guys in the high viz and clipboards to make sure it was correctly worded and positioned and in accordance with legal requirements.:shock::lol:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I went down there a few weeks ago and noticed the silly and confusing CRC sign had finally been removed leaving just the correctly worded but home made looking sign, written with a felt tip. Yesterday I went down thee again and now this has been removed and replaced with a proper sign in bright red saying TIP CLOSED. Better late than never I suppose or maybe it's because the work is behind scheduled and people are turning up expecting it to have reopened.

I don't know when the work will be complete but I'm hearing all sorts of rumours but as yet no official statement and maybe that's why last week some kind person dumped a double mattress at the end of our road. I know it's been a pain for me as I was doing a load of work at home and my wife was getting sick of the piles of junk I was making so we ended up getting a skip costing £190  Ouch! 

Crikey is that how much skips cost Bill :shock:  I was thinking of getting one as we have quite a lot of cr*p to get rid off but blimey I'm not paying that much.

No wonder people fly tip if skips cost that much and local tips are either closed or have restrictions. 

Dizzy

Just read that the tip is due to reopen now on the 24th November. As for the cost of skips well I've had 8 over the last couple of years since I retired and they've gone up a tenner each year. The £190 is for the largest builders skip but you can get smaller ones. 

I wanted a bigger garage that the car would actually fit in and still have room for my other bits and bobs so I decided to have a go at building one. It turned out to be not too bad so the wife said if you can do that you can build an extension to the house.

Picture deleted by me!

I didn't realise I could upload pictures without using some kind of remote hosting, Just need to shrink stuff down a bit.

Anyhow, here's the nearly finished extension. Total build time doing pretty much everything single handed nearly two years.

No Diz, I've sat on my bum in front of a computer for most of my working life. I thought putting one brick on top of another can't be that hard but I ended up having to Google absolutely everything. I reckon if I were a brickie I'd have been sacked a million times for being too slow but when it's for yourself it doesn't matter and I've saved a small fortune in labour costs. Inside the house I've also done some major work by knocking two rooms into one and removing the chimney and breast. Just got some more flagging to do and the garden to finish off before the weather starts getting too bad.

Hope not Sid, I aired on the side of caution and over specked everything just in case. I employed a structural engineering company to work out the complicated stuff like the beam sizes and the building inspector made several visits to check I was doing everything right. Fingers crossed my work will probably outlast me especially considering I've half killed myself already doing this.

• Haha 2