Manchester Airport Terminal 3

asperity

Manny Airport is now on my "don't go there" list; not because of the parking rip off; but cos of the manic state of our current transport and security system, endless queuing and walking round like cattle, ain't my view of a good start to a holiday.  Going by the news, this is widespread, including rail stations and roads into ports. So, if your queue intolerant, best stop at home !

So in a way the terrorist are having an effect, despite there being little threat of them causing an incident at an airport or on a plane.

It is hard for these places as they are damned no matter what they do. Too little security and they face being raked over the coals for the possibility of allowing a terrorist onto a plane. Too much and people complain that it is a draconian regime full of self important jobsworths. They are on a no win scenario either way.

The parking rip off is just that a rip off. somebody at some point must have realised that it would lead to them making a few extra bob form the public when it was suggested that the drop off be changed. in theory having a on way system for drop off is a good idea, it is having to pay to get out that is the bad idea. especially at busy times when the  minimum time will be exceeded just getting to the barrier.

Oh I agree Sid, terrorism has achieved its aim of disrupting civilisation. But it's been helped in no small measure by over zealous cretins and their foot soldiers with their OTT security requirements. As I said I've no intention of ever putting myself through all that ever again.

On the parking thing, I don't know if the people in charge have noticed how ridiculous it is yet and are intending to do something about it, but if they aren't they are putting themselves on the list of people due an appointment with hempen rope and lampost!

3 hours ago, P J said:

I’m pretty sure that airport use is going up not down,  perhaps not everyone is as precious as asperity 😂

What has airport use going up have to do with what travelling decisions I care to make? I just don't like being treated like a potential terrorist that's all.

As long as there is a potential for terrorists to exist alongside "normal" people then everybody will be treated as a potential terrorist until proven otherwise.

Unfortunately asp it does not matter if you like it or not it is just something that we now have to live with.

It isn't really  the security system or its officers that hold people up ,it is because so many people are not yet up to spec with what has to be taken off & displayed in the tray & put through the scanner. Items omitted mean the person being searched & causing a hold up. It is the same with electrical items ,medication in liquid or aerosol form ,lighters & wallets & belts. I think we should be more worried about airports in our overseas holiday destinations being less thorough in searches for our return flights.

On 30/07/2018 at 12:03 PM, P J said:

I’m pretty sure that airport use is going up not down,  perhaps not everyone is as precious as asperity 😂

Isn't the airport due to take on many more direct flights  to/from China with a business enterprise zone financed by the Chinese ?

On 29/07/2018 at 10:26 PM, asperity said:

I've decided that I'm never going to fly again, not because of the actual flight but because of the mindless security hassle "customers" have to endure. It has even got to tiny regional airports like Kirkwall and Stornoway.

"We seem to be off track a bit, because the chaos caused at the drop off point at Terminal 3 has nothing to do with anti-terrorism."

seems this is the point of separation into the meander,  hope this helps Asperity lol

They could reduce the queues dramatically if they eased their silly PC rules and allowed a certain degree of profiling. As far as I know, terrorist are typically loners and I can't imagine they would ever consider taking taking their children with them but despite this, oldies like me and the wife or families with kids on their way to places like Benidorm are subjected to the full blown security checks.

What I've never understood is if there was something dodgy about someone, it might well flag up when the passport is checked but once passed that point, the focus is lost and the person is just another passenger as far as security is concerned. Surly anyone with any kind of marker on their records should be subjected to a higher degree of checks.

Maybe sometime in the future, passengers could be issued with a bio-metric wrist band that could track movement within the terminal and any elevated heart rates/sweat as i reckon that would be pretty hard to disguise if you're about to blow yourself up.

Bill :)

I think they weren't exactly children Davy, more young radicalised adults that were planning an attack with knives and guns in some public place.

In any case if you're taking a bomb onto a plane you don't need your mates or family with you unless you're really rubbish at making bombs. 

Bill :)