Abramovitch -

observer

Seems he's to be asked by HMG, how he acquired his wealth, before being issued with a visa to return to the UK.  Thought it was common knowledge that the Oligarchs asset stripped the Soviet Union and it's people when Russia converted to capitalism.   :rolleyes:

Common knowledge is just hearsay and doesn't mean anything without proof. So all the authorities are doing is asking for proof that his money was aquired legally, which is what you would want them to do, right?

Of course the present chilly relations between Russia and HMG might have some bearing on this. I don't know how the Russians view Abramovitch, is he in Putin's good books just now?

4 hours ago, observer said:

But "the proof" lies in Russia and seeing the whole Putin mafia have been at it, I doubt they'll cooperate with evidence.  Perhaps they'd have more luck with our Bankers in tracing the dirty money being laundered in London.     :ph34r:

But we already have legislation in place to stop money laundering through the banking system. As I said it depends on Abramovitch's standing with Putin - if they're pals then Putin won't co-operate, but if they aren't then Putin could throw him under the bus. Get some popcorn in :D

If we have legislation in place to stop money laundering, it's clearly not being enforced.     As for Putin, I'm sure he would be friends with anyone who gives him a cut, and it seems they've protested at Abramavitch's visa delay.  

7 hours ago, observer said:

If we have legislation in place to stop money laundering, it's clearly not being enforced.      

And your evidence for this is....................................................................................?

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

An opinion derived from observing an interview with Stephen Sacker (hardtalk BBC) and the ex-chief of the FSA.

So that's no evidence then, just an opinion formed from watching a TV programme? That should stand up in court then. :wacko:

I wonder how many millionaires and upwards would stand up to really close scrutiny of how they acquired their money.

However as for the man in question he must be guilty he is Russian and they are responsible for everything bad yet again.

Price of gas and electric goes up, blame the Russians. Snows at the wrong time or the wrong sort of snow, blame the Russians.

Every spy film i have ever watched it is the Russians who are the baddies. so it stands to reason the Russians are baddies and not to be trusted.:rolleyes:

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, asperity said:

So that's no evidence then, just an opinion formed from watching a TV programme? That should stand up in court then. :wacko:

(bit of an IT fail at the moment) :wacko:     Well. Sacker gave him quite a grilling, backed up with his own accumulated facts (that's why it's called "hard talk"); and it basically came down to the assertion that the FSA was a toothless Tiger, to which the ex-chief imo; couldn't or just didn't give a robust or convincing reply,  Now since then, the Shadow Chancellor (though I hate to agree with him); has accused our whole regulatory system as "not being fit for purpose",  which has prompted me to consider the public psychology involved.   There seems to be a schism in the (British) public's mind (both right and left), where they seem to desire regulation; but recoil when it becomes intrusive (to them), authoritarian and effective.  From Windrush to Grenfell, to Press intrusion to money laundering via London; we get Inquiries. then recommendations, then a nominal response to close a chapter.  :ph34r: