Manx Arms

Milky

Yet another listed building demolished.

I guess the only reason for having listed building register is so that council can make it harder to restore old properties, there seems to be little problem in getting them demolished.

• Upvote 1

So neither Grade 1 nor Grade 2 listed, but on a list as an asset,  which offers no protection whatsoever, as we have just seen.

Evil Sid, That is why you should get your local news from The Warrington Worldwide main page :wink:

Listed or not here is something I really do not understand

We are for ever being warned about pollution and environmental damage, we are for ever being told we should not drive cars, minimize waste and so on.

Yet when it comes to demolishing buildings non of this gets taken into consideration, it does not matter piles of waste gets created, dust and other pollutants get released. Then you need to replace so new materials need to be used.

2 hours ago, P J said:

So neither Grade 1 nor Grade 2 listed, but on a list as an asset,  which offers no protection whatsoever, as we have just seen.

Evil Sid, That is why you should get your local news from The Warrington Worldwide main page :wink:

Did Warrington Worldwide run the news, I did not see it?

such a pity all the love for the Manx Arms came too late.  I bet none of you used the place regularly when it was open but couldn't wait to whinge online once this dilapidated, dangerous and architecturally insignificant pile was legally removed to make way for something useful.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed many a pint in there and played darts against them Sid,  when I played at the kings head and Hawthorne.  Thing is, it was a scruffy hole , no remarkable or dpecisl features and when it shut down it quickly became run down.  I'm all for protecting important and interesting buildings but this wasn't one of those.  At least the very misleading article in the local rag gave grist to the "want to be offended" mill

I can't say I'm  bothered about it being knocked down as the whole area around there is a scruffy dump now anyway with grots hanging about on the nearby street corners most days.

I already know it wasn't grade listed (despite the other local rag inferring otherwise) but I did know it was locally listed.  As already mentioned above  being 'locally listed' offers not protection to a building anyway as we have seen many times before.

I can't see why anyone would want to live around there but I'm guessing from reading between the lines that the  'proposed 10 bedroom multi occupancy house' could be for people who have no real choice where they live as there's not much choice if you need real 'affordable' on offer these days :( 

Can't argue with you there pj.

It was inhabited mostly with clientèle from james lee house, which was the salvation army hostel at the time. (was also rumoured to be a favourite haunt of CID after hours as well.)

Am not sad to see it go and i would definitely not want to live there. will probably be looked on as an annex to james lee house.

18 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Can't argue with you there pj.

It was inhabited mostly with clientèle from james lee house, which was the salvation army hostel at the time. (was also rumoured to be a favourite haunt of CID after hours as well.)

Am not sad to see it go and i would definitely not want to live there. will probably be looked on as an annex to james lee house.

No one had a love for the Manx Arms but the building could have found a different purpose.

It happens all to frequently in Warrington, building gets abandoned, goes into neglect and disrepair then gets pulled down.

Surprised there is room on the spot for a 10 bedroom house!

Not sure what is so wrong with the area, some new apartments just round the corner and across the road on Church St?

4 hours ago, Milky said:

No one had a love for the Manx Arms but the building could have found a different purpose.

It happens all to frequently in Warrington, building gets abandoned, goes into neglect and disrepair then gets pulled down.

Surprised there is room on the spot for a 10 bedroom house!

Not sure what is so wrong with the area, some new apartments just round the corner and across the road on Church St?

what use would you have put a dilapidated and dangerous former pub to, if you had bought it?

15 hours ago, P J said:

ok so what did you do to try to save this building you so treasure before it went to ruin?

I was not the owner or part of local government/council, so not really in a position to do anything,

Ah  you expected others to save it for you despite you having no idea what you would do with it. ?  I would wager you didn't have any opinion regarding this building until you read of a 'listed Building demolised' in the local rag.

I would turn it into a lap dancing club! :)

Seriously your right, I had no opinion, but I am very much against demolition of buildings, it does not matter whether it os a 300 year old building or 3 year old one. Leaving buildings to rot away as has happened to the cabinet works, Warrington Baths, the Grammar school and so on  is just wrong. Demolishing buildings to me is such a waste of resources and as pointed out adds to pollution. 

In my view there should be an environmental tax on demolition and should not be allowed until alternatives have been explored.

A tax on demolition? Now there's a novel idea. What better way to encourage the owners of old, unused properties to leave them to rot away than to tax them if they do something with the property like demolish them to make way for something better? Back to the drawing board on that one then Milky :rolleyes:.

9 hours ago, Milky said:

I would turn it into a lap dancing club! :)

Seriously your right, I had no opinion, but I am very much against demolition of buildings, it does not matter whether it os a 300 year old building or 3 year old one. Leaving buildings to rot away as has happened to the cabinet works, Warrington Baths, the Grammar school and so on  is just wrong. Demolishing buildings to me is such a waste of resources and as pointed out adds to pollution. 

In my view there should be an environmental tax on demolition and should not be allowed until alternatives have been explored.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 great plan lol