UK Passports ?

observer

So you want to turn this country into one where we have checkpoints on street corners and railway stations with uniformed officials demanding to see our identity cards? Be careful what you wish for, Mrs May and Ms Rudd would surely agree with you if they thought they could get away with it.

I think the modern method of identifying people without a mugshot is the National Insurance  number,if you are legal you have one  & once HMG have you in their system they know everything about you thanks to computerisation. I would not be fazed  to carry an ID card though if it helped UK security.

Depends how sloppy or otherwise the issuing of NI numbers is, whether they can be forged or whether, when using the NHS, your NI number is even asked for ?   We clearly don't have a workable system in place, if 600,000 who should have been deported are still with us, and 250,000 HMG didn't even know were here !      :rolleyes:

You really are a trusting lot. I wouldn't trust may and Rudd (never ming the Corbyn shower) as far as I could throw them.

ID cards are not like passports. You would have to carry an ID card and show it on demand. You don't have to have a passport.

So what's the problem with that ?   Everyone carries "cards" around with them nowadays, in the absence of cash; in fact it would be even better if they combined the two functions. On cruise ships, every passenger is issued with a photo ID, which is swiped as you leave or enter the ship, thus the Captain knows who's on board and who isn't.  With modern technology, one would think it possible to have a similar system for the UKBF and Police.  As for "illegal" entrants and stayers,  clearly the Authorities aren't doing their job, if 600,00 deportees have not actually been deported, and 250,000 entrants have been lost off the radar.  It's a complete shambles, making a complete joke of any claim to "secure borders".  This of course, has been compounded by the EU with Shengen, which allows "illegals" to travel all the way through Europe, as they head for the UK.  In France and Belgium they have camps or hostels for them, they refuse to apply for asylum in those countries, as their intent is to enter the UK.     :rolleyes:

I didn't realise I had to carry my credit and debit cards around with me at all times! I can't understand why you want to be monitored by the government. They aren't on our side you know, they are only interested in staying in power and making sure the plebs don't cause any trouble.

An ID card system would require a more robust security system than passports, meaning IT, and we all know how good government is with IT.

Take your point about IT, and possibly more, the civil service appear incapable of organising a drinking session in a brewery these days. However, Gov has a duty to plan for service and policy provision based on population growth and development. EG housing, educational, transport, social care needs; and information is essential to this end. Most Countries use 10 yearly census information for this; but the added dimension today is security; if (as seems to be the case), folk desire secure borders and the prevention of terrorism, it's inevitable that this can only be achieved by more State controls. I suppose it's a question of balance at the end of the day, between anarchy and authoritarianism.  :ph34r:

43 minutes ago, observer said:

Take your point about IT, and possibly more, the civil service appear incapable of organising a drinking session in a brewery these days. However, Gov has a duty to plan for service and policy provision based on population growth and development. EG housing, educational, transport, social care needs; and information is essential to this end. Most Countries use 10 yearly census information for this; but the added dimension today is security; if (as seems to be the case), folk desire secure borders and the prevention of terrorism, it's inevitable that this can only be achieved by more State controls. I suppose it's a question of balance at the end of the day, between anarchy and authoritarianism.  :ph34r:

The 48% who voted remain would beg to differ.

De La Rue, the British company that usually prints our passports (and bank notes) claims a 32% share of passport printing worldwide, as well as printing a lot of of other countries banknotes. If the populations of all these other countries took the protectionist view that many people in the UK are taking over this issue, then De La Rue would be in deep trouble!

quite possibly and also influenced by brexit. "when we leave the eu then we are the only british firm that does this so have a monopoly and can charge what we want". Must have come as a shock to lose the contract for the blue passports.

came across this whilst looking on how passports are made.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/video/ukhomeoffice/Ha5VPXZ3ILs

quite interesting. Seems all the detail for passports is printed at the factory which includes adding your photo and personal details.