What's going on ?

observer

Its called progress obs.

as a kid growing up in the sixties I have walked to school in snow that came up to my knees in places, true my knees were closer to the ground then, but we still went to school, Steam trains ran albeit slightly slower as they had to melt the snow from the track, the bus struggled through somehow, people got to work. They set out earlier so as not to be late, but then most people worked within walking distance  of home.

Health and safety have a lot to do with our current predicament, add to that the fear of being sued because little chardonay has slipped on ice in the playground and it is no wonder the place grinds to a halt at the first flurry of snow or cold weather.

the russians and the canadians cope because they know what conditions to expect, anything ;less than two feet of snow overnight is a mild winter to them. They have trains with snowplows on to clear the lines. cars are winterised with snow chains or studded winter tyres. Roads are regularly cleared using snowplow vehicles. They know what to do when the temp drops into double minus figures. it happens every year.

with us it is a case of last minute or later then complain that the leaders should have seen it coming and why they are not doing anything about it.

• Upvote 3

Good summary Sid; so it's about manning up and being prepared - not sure the snowflakes can manage that !     And the latest from our hysterical media - "we're running out of gas" - perhaps now they'll open those fracking fields or start removing sanctions on the Russians to get their gas.    :D

Obs,

The data on Gas stocks is available on the web. Since the start of the winter season the actual available storage capacity has fallen twice, because of faults discovered in the storage facilities used by producers. We currently have just over 20% capacity of the full (start of season) capacity left but we seem to only now have a maximum storage capacity of 30% of what it was at the start of the year. So there is little capacity to build up stock on warmer days.

Today's demand is 30+% above the normal seasonal demand for gas. Normally they give amounts of gas available in short, medium and long term storage but at the moment the long and short show zero and only medium term storage is working. Today's supply amounts seem now to be higher than yesterdays total so I assume the market has responded. If I understand correctly the amount coming from Belgium has doubled from Tuesday. I assume that this is priced on a spot market so doesn't directly affect longer term contract prices.

1 hour ago, observer said:

Think you'll have to explain that one Asp ?  :wacko:    If we're running out of gas, presumably the storage tanks are empty, so the Russian gas can fill them up or be fed directly into the system ?   :wacko:

It's the pipeline capacity which is the problem. You can't lay a new gas pipeline overnight. As confused says there are storage problems, so unless we have the import pipeline capacity to exceed our usage then stocks cannot be replenished fast enough.

1 hour ago, asperity said:

Has your gas supply gone off Obs? In fact has anybody's gas supply gone off, or is this just the news media making a mountain out of a molehill again?

I agree, the media has hyped this out of all proportion, which is where I started the topic.   Had to laugh at one report, where they said 51mm of snow had fallen in some areas. think that's 2"" in old money;   not quite a case of shoveling one's way out of one's house, as on some past occasions !     :D

1 hour ago, Evil Sid said:

domestic supplies will not be affected but business supplies will be.

How they will manage that i do not know as the gas mains serve all

They "bribe" industrial users to use less gas, or even shut down operations for a day.

8 minutes ago, observer said:

I agree, the media has hyped this out of all proportion, which is where I started the topic.   Had to laugh at one report, where they said 51mm of snow had fallen in some areas. think that's 2"" in old money;   not quite a case of shoveling one's way out of one's house, as on some past occasions !     :D

Very convenient these new fangled millimetres when you need a bit of exaggeration! :D

47 minutes ago, observer said:

It's amazing how the reporters  sex up the figures by using metric numbers.

well it sounds better to say 51 millimeters.

better than 5.1 cm, or 2 inches, mind you 1/6 of a foot has some promise for news paper headlines. half a hand though is just silly unless you are a keen equestrian person.

Can understand why they don't use metric for wind speeds though. 80 kph sounds a lot worse than 49 mph and would probably start a panic on the streets.:shock: