Gun Law ?

observer

Way too simple. There are over 300 million guns in the US which shows that people like their guns. Perhaps if there had been people with guns at the school the shooter would have thought twice about targetting it. After all he's unlikely to have walked into a police station and started shooting! Apparently the FBI were told about this character in September but were too busy trying to find evidence of Russian collusion against the Donald to do anything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, asperity said:

Way too simple. There are over 300 million guns in the US which shows that people like their guns. Perhaps if there had been people with guns at the school the shooter would have thought twice about targetting it. After all he's unlikely to have walked into a police station and started shooting! Apparently the FBI were told about this character in September but were too busy trying to find evidence of Russian collusion against the Donald to do anything.

thats just so ridiculous it's actually made me laugh despite the horrid nature of the subject.  First of all when you re spouted Trumps crap conflation  the FBI employs 35000 people so obviously can only do one job at a time .  Secondly,  your answer to stopping guns being used in schools is to put more guns in schools,  great logic there Shirlock, and thirdly yes, no one will attack a police officer with a gun, well except the 1500 plus US police officers shot dead in the last 10 years.  Comparatively in the UK, where police aren't routinely armed and we have far more sensible gun laws the number of police officers killed is 250 but that is in the last 70 or so years.  it's not rocket science 

4 hours ago, observer said:

But frankly, at the end of the day, the arguments don't matter, the vote does.  If they keep voting for the same old, same old, with links to the NRA, things ain't going to change.   :(

I think you might be over estimating the influence of the NRA:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/15/most-gun-owners-dont-belong-to-the-nra-and-they-dont-agree-with-it-either/?utm_term=.6cd1f0f4cfd4

The principle behind the founding fathers making the 2nd amendment, was that an armed populace would never suffer a dictatorship; but that was in the days of muzzle loading rifles.  Whilst weapons have had their uses in "taming" the frontier and for hunting; I fail to see how military grade automatic weapons fit into this picture ?      :wacko:

40 minutes ago, fugtifino said:

But politicians, even if they are NRA supporters/supported by the NRA still only make up a tiny minority of the electorate. But in any case gun laws don't work in the USA. The places that have the most stringent gun control (e.g. Chicago) have the highest gun crime rates.

4 minutes ago, observer said:

The principle behind the founding fathers making the 2nd amendment, was that an armed populace would never suffer a dictatorship; but that was in the days of muzzle loading rifles.  Whilst weapons have had their uses in "taming" the frontier and for hunting; I fail to see how military grade automatic weapons fit into this picture ?      :wacko:

At the time of the 2nd amendment guns were a lot more sophisticated than muzzle loaders. You're just parroting the anti gun propoganda Obs.

The BBC like to think they are there to tell us plebs what to think/believe/who to vote for. I take everything I see/hear on TV news with a large dollop of salt. And it's not up to them to tell the US what their policies should be, they have enough biased news outlets of their own for that.