Sign in to follow this  
observer

New car tax rules ?

Anyone got their heads around the proposed new rules for car tax ?    They appear overly complicated, as if intended to confuse the public into not realising they're being scammed.      :ph34r:

I haven't seen them...off to google now just in case I buy a new car in the next few weeks on a whim. 

I must confess i had a look on the government website to see what my old banger would set me back next time & i seemed to be going round in circles as it was telling me what tax on new cars would be.

The article I read , claimed diesels would be hammered (no surprise), but then suggested that hybrids would be hit too. There were variations with age and exhaust test results; so I'm not sure that it's simple by any means.     :wacko:

I don't quite understand the reasoning behind the new rules as it hammers those people buying new cars, which you would have thought would be the one set of people the government would want to encourage. I have a diesel and the tax is going up, but I'd gladly pay the increase to keep me out of one of those battery operated skateboards that are OK for running to the shops....if you want to get one capable of travelling any distance and in any level of comfort, you pay a massive premium...

On the upside, my old Granada is now tax free and saves me more than the proposed increase on the day to day car... bit of a bonus right there :)