Gender Issues - Getting out of hand.

algy

9 hours ago, AdrianR said:

Wow i feel like ive just gone way back in time reading that. 

No backtracking at all, As I said originally all mainstream parties are behind GRA amendment. The consultation is still on track and advancing well in Scotland supported by feminist and non feminist mainstream groups alike.

I don't intend to engage further with such antiquated views which clearly go against scientifically proven medical evidence and progressive societal change.

Fortunately there appears more enlightened people making the important decisions which will affect lives of others.

The government has already backtracked. My views aren't antiquated because they're based in biological fact. THat doesn't change just because somebody steeped in post-modernism says so. 

The problem with what is being proposed is that it's regressive, in that it removes many rights and gains that women have had to fight hard for. That is why so many feminists are against them, and rightly so. 

As I've said, I don't have a problem with transgender people. Good luck to them and I hope they're happy and find acceptance. But they don't get that at the expense of the majority. Here's the feminist Sarah Dumit agreeing with me in the New Statesman, which should put paid to your 'Daily Mail' argument but probably won't.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2016/11/whats-missing-transgender-debate-any-discussion-male-violence

It's a shame that you're not engaging any more. I'd have loved to watch you refute the idea that there is such a thing as biological sex and make a case to administer hormonal treatments to block puberty in children.

Finally, this is what transgender feminist Camille Paglia has to say on the subject and I agree entirely with her. 

"In a democracy, everyone, no matter how nonconformist or eccentric, should be free from harassment and abuse. But at the same time, no one deserves special rights, protections, or privileges on the basis of their eccentricity. The categories ‘trans-man’ and ‘trans-woman’ are highly accurate and deserving of respect. But like Germaine Greer and Sheila Jeffreys, I reject state-sponsored coercion to call someone a ’woman’ or a ‘man’ simply on the basis of his or her subjective feeling about it. We may well take the path of good will and defer to courtesy on such occasions, but it is our choice alone."

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, observer said:

Merely observations of modern life Alge;  one wonders where these "progressive" ideas are coming from and, how and where they're being injected into the mainstream; as they clearly aren't mainstream.    :ph34r:

It's a fundamentalist religious mindset. You could see it with Adrian. There's a dogma at play and if you don't believe it, you're a heretic. There's no need to deal in facts, or address different opinions. Just stick a label on the infidel, even when it's not true. And like most cults, it makes more noise than its numbers justify and is willing to threaten people to get its way.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, observer said:

"a lot", shouldn't be any costs to the NHS at all imo;  this is want not need.  :rolleyes:

in your somewhat twisted opinion, or are you speaking from personal experience?  FYI you can't pick and choose where your tax is spent. If allowed to self determine there is no cost to the NHS.

4 minutes ago, observer said:

a) I'm paying for it.  b. It's not essential and cosmetic.  c. just adds to the over-loading of the NHS.    :ph34r:

a. No you aren't. b. that's wrong. c. you make it sound like there are millions of people requiring this,  smokers, drinkers and old people over load the NHS.

13 minutes ago, observer said:

a.Pay taxes = contribute to NHS.   b. Matter of opinion.    c. Matter of opinion and priorities.    :ph34r:   If some folk wish to try and defy nature they can go private.    :ph34r:

a. how much tax do you pay and would it cover the cost of these operations? Are the people we are discussing exempted from tax ? .  b. as it doesn't affect you your opinion is irrelevant.  c. I am sure they are not high priority and have to wait, many do go private  .   Please explain what is natural about smoking and boozing?

.. or sniffing on pollution from car exhausts or drugs, extreme sports, driving at 120mph, getting stabbed or having an inherited disease,  can be life threatening, thus require treatment.    Tax is collected from all those that pay it, so all make a contribution.   It does affect me, and anyone else who pays tax.      :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, observer said:

.. or sniffing on pollution from car exhausts or drugs, extreme sports, driving at 120mph, getting stabbed or having an inherited disease,  can be life threatening, thus require treatment.    Tax is collected from all those that pay it, so all make a contribution.   It does affect me, and anyone else who pays tax.      :ph34r:

Your ignorance on this subject is obvious.  So, what is natural about smoking?

Nothing, same as with taking any drug(s),  but whilst it may affect the body; it's not a deliberate attempt to alter it - something that can't be done without the use of chemicals to control harmones etc. and ultimately alter one's physical being to conform with what one wants to be.     :ph34r: