Beaumont school

Mimocuja

• 8 months later...

I went there from about 1957 to 67 ,through last year of infants,juniors & boys senior school. Looking at the photograph, the buildings on the right starting at the bottom were infant mixed. From what i can remember ,the next block housed the mixed juniors downstairs & senior boys upstairs. The buildings in the top right hand corner housed the caretaker &  a woodwork classroom. The brick buildings in the middle of the yard were outside toilets split between boys & girls juniors & senior school. At the time i was there there were 3 or 4 prefab buildings on the left hand boundary wall (Wilkinson St) which housed extra classrooms for the senior school  including a metal workshop. I left Beamont as it was after Easter or Whit(?)  1967 & moved to the new school at Long Lane for 1 term after it merged with Oakwood girls to form the new school.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 2:26 PM, Davy51 said:

I went there from about 1957 to 67 ,through last year of infants,juniors & boys senior school. Looking at the photograph, the buildings on the right starting at the bottom were infant mixed. From what i can remember ,the next block housed the mixed juniors downstairs & senior boys upstairs. The buildings in the top right hand corner housed the caretaker &  a woodwork classroom. The brick buildings in the middle of the yard were outside toilets split between boys & girls juniors & senior school. At the time i was there there were 3 or 4 prefab buildings on the left hand boundary wall (Wilkinson St) which housed extra classrooms for the senior school  including a metal workshop. I left Beamont as it was after Easter or Whit(?)  1967 & moved to the new school at Long Lane for 1 term after it merged with Oakwood girls to form the new school.

I have nothing but bad memories of that place .1962/66

Most of the staff were just bullies each had his own weapon to inflict on pupils for the slightest thing.

The only exceptions were Gaffer Henry,Mr Lord and Mr La Wan. 

I had left Bolton Juniors in Latchford expecting to find the same kind of excellent schooling I had received there 1958/61 ..

Oh what a shock I got !!

I just wish I had failed my 11+ and gone to Richard Fairclough instead.

22 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

I think the worst sadist was Mr Green ,a horrible specimen.  I always found most of the teachers pretty easy going ,  Atherton,Norris ,Birkett , Dutton, Harris ,Millward ,Scott & Thomas plus the three you mention.

Scott was a sarcastic sod ,teaching took second place,Norris use to call me back at home time for 5 minutes on any pretence,Why? because he knew I would miss my bus home and have 25 minutes till the next one.

Birkett was everything Pop Horrocks at Bolton wasn't; he was inept,bungling,no sense of leadership and always reminded me of the headmaster in Please Sir. 

2 hours ago, Davy51 said:

Birkett definitely was a Please sir type & do you remember the queen of the ruler ,Fanny Yates ?

I think it was an achievement to learn anything from some of the teachers though.

She always got the same bus home as the Latchford lads , she sat downstairs while we were up.

She lived in Grappenhall

Never once saw her smile all the time I was incarcerated in the place.

• Upvote 1

Malcolm, the buildings in the middle of the playground were the toilets. Some of the more adventurous boys used to create ornamental fountains that soaked anyone who was too close on the other side of the wall. The yard in the lower half of the picture was for infants  & junior mixed &  the yard in the top half was for senior boys.

The photo though is well before the sixties judging by the fields along Hallfield's Road.

I've just spent a good hour or so trawling through some of the best old photos of Warrington I've seen in a long while.

Click on the photo at the start of this thread then use the left and right to scroll though a mass of old photos. Each one can be blown up to show great detail.

Bill :)

50 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Malcolm, the buildings in the middle of the playground were the toilets. Some of the more adventurous boys used to create ornamental fountains that soaked anyone who was too close on the other side of the wall. The yard in the lower half of the picture was for infants  & junior mixed &  the yard in the top half was for senior boys.

The photo though is well before the sixties judging by the fields along Hallfield's Road.

The toilets (and that is being a bit off mark with the true description) Were disgraceful. The cubicles had doors without locks,the Bowl had a piece of wood screwed on either rim to constitute a seat, never ever toilet paper in them.And the urinals stank and were always blocked and overflowing... The place was a health hazard fit only for 3rd and 4th years to have a woodbine at playtime .

5 hours ago, Bill said:

I've just spent a good hour or so trawling through some of the best old photos of Warrington I've seen in a long while.

Click on the photo at the start of this thread then use the left and right to scroll though a mass of old photos. Each one can be blown up to show great detail.

Bill :)

Enjoyed them Bill .

Could have been allotment areas for growing veg and stuff if the photo was was taken during or after the war years Davy.  Stockton Heath Primary School had allotments just outside it's perimeter area on the West Avenue side.  Saying that they also had air raid shelters on the same side too so maybe that's another possibility for the patches you mention at Beamont.  

I remember at Bolton Juniors we had two massive air raid shelters but not the normal brick with Concrete roof type as Boteler Grammar had. These were semi submerged and just showed an entrance and chimney/air vent. We always played on them at break and dinner times  I wonder now if they were still there in case Khruschev and America ever came to blows as I'm talking about 1958/62 era.. 

• 1 year later...

I was at Beamont and left in 1963.

I remember Taffy Williams, Nocker, Jack Atherton, Johnny Lyons, Fanny Yates, Mr Slinn, Johnny Thomas, Albert Lord, Millard, Joe Daniels, and a few more.

Tough school at times but enjoyed much fun at times.

Some good lads who were there when I was included Yogi Brennan, Tony Brown, Archie Green, Yozzer Hughes, Chalkie White, Dave Percival, Warren Algy, Barry Briggs, Dave Roughly, Tungen, Jimmy Turtle, Stockton, Emmo, etc etc.