Taking the p££s -

observer

Seems the EU offer of a "transition period" post Brexit;  is basically that all our financial commitments and legal obligations will remain, whilst we will cease to have any political input.  This would mean that new EU laws would apply to the UK, and ruled on by the ECoJ, without the UK having had a say in their formulation.  So basically, we'll remain in the EU in all but name, but without the thin veneer of any democratic input -  raw dictatorship - not what we voted for.   So perhaps now, our politicians will realise that no deal, really is better than this bad deal.    :ph34r:

• Downvote 1

They are offering a 21 month period starting on the 1st April 2019 and ending 31st December 2020. The current Commission appointments finish at the end of October 2019 and no new legislation is likely to be started until the new Commission is appointed and gets it political direction approved by the European Council of Ministers (less UK) in about May 2020. There will almost certainly no new Regulations before the end of the transition period and directives are even less likely. So the issue is what is going to be passed between April and October 2019, which will have been subject to UK input and the notion that we are a disinterested party in such law-making can be dismissed while the UK wields all the power it still has. If the UK simply vetoes any new laws from now until the leaving date that are proposed unless they are in the form of a directive and not regulations and requires coming into force dates to be beyond the end of our transition there will be no problem. Hopefully that also means that any regulations coming into force before the end of our transition should have an extended period for our implementation for the UK unless we have consented in consultation with us. For laws in the form of directives there is a need to implement UK legislation which can, of course, be delayed. The infamous Henry VIII powers do not apply to directives, they only apply to regulations which enter force directly into UK law. That is why we should simply not accept such regulations which we still have such a power. EU law making is really not very fast in practice.

This is a very small change from what is already on offer and give the appearance of being tough on the UK whilst not actually being so. There is little benefit for the rest of the EU  in doing such a sensible thing because the moment we leave the laws which we don't like will be repealed giving no benefit. Furthermore the Lord Chancellor can give instructions to the UK courts to make no references to the ECJ for interpretation from the day of leaving because the requirement for that will have been removed by the repeal of the European Communities Act. The ECJ can only act on complaint the UK has broken the rules by another member state community citizen. We don't have to respond though!

So maybe not a vassal state after all, but we could start being a pain in the proverbial in Brussels pretty soon: on anything not involving Brexit we are still a full member and we should be getting our money's worth.

What really disgusts me is the fact that the UK politicians for the last 40+ years have squandered so much of the country's influence & sovereignty that we are now dependent on the whim of 27  other countries to get a leaving deal that will be no better than the crumbs from the rich man's table.

25 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

What really disgusts me is the fact that the UK politicians for the last 40+ years have squandered so much of the country's influence & sovereignty that we are now dependent on the whim of 27  other countries to get a leaving deal that will be no better than the crumbs from the rich man's table.

If only we had been warned before the referendum lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, Davy51 said:

How will the working time directive & the accompanying road transport driver's hours legislation be affected by the big day ?  Will domestic driver's regulations come back into force ?

From a short look at the EU Exit Bill as at today there will be no change to the effect of the directive ( which is applied using UK regulations under the European Communities Act and will become part of UK law on Exit day). The Drivers Hours regulations will similarly be retained by incorporating them in UK law. There will be no changes to the UK regulations either, other than changing the way they refer to EU regulations perhaps. It is that sort of change of wording which is the subject of the squabble about Henry VIII powers, the remainers in Parliament want to decide all those very important words rather than leave it to a civil servant or parliamentary draughtsman, I suspect that in reality they just want to derail and delay.

So to sum up Davy you should expect no change, that will last until the end of the transition period. The details of the transition and what ends up in the Exit Act are all subject to change though!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:D    Rich ?  Better off economically ?   Sorry, to some of us that was the last thing on our minds; it's a political decision about National self determination and control - freedom in other words.  There are times in history, when decisions have to be made on principle, not on pennies and half-pennies;   even if it involves some initial hardship. Fortunately a previous generation realised this in 1940, but chose to soldier on alone; despite the siren voices of appeasers spreading doom and gloom.  The only question now is whether we have a generation equally up to the challenge.       :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, observer said:

:D    Rich ?  Better off economically ?   Sorry, to some of us that was the last thing on our minds; it's a political decision about National self determination and control - freedom in other words.  There are times in history, when decisions have to be made on principle, not on pennies and half-pennies;   even if it involves some initial hardship. Fortunately a previous generation realised this in 1940, but chose to soldier on alone; despite the siren voices of appeasers spreading doom and gloom.  The only question now is whether we have a generation equally up to the challenge.       :ph34r:

Quite simply this has to be one of the most laughably pathetic statements regarding Brexit I have seen on here, which is quite some feat.  What utter tripe.  Oh and what a surprise, a war reference, incidentally completely belonging in the realms of fantasy. Stood alone my arse.

Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Poland, South Africa, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Yugoslavia.  Mexico, the Philippines, Ethiopia, Iraq, Brazil, Bolivia, Iran, Colombia, Liberia, France, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Paraguay, Venezuela, Uruguay, Turkey, Egypt, Syria, and Lebanon

Lest we forget.

• Downvote 2

Errm - think you need to google it again:   the Soviet Union wasn't involved until invaded (Operation Barbarossa) 22 June 1941. The USA, the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour 7 December 1941.   As for the rest, with the exception of the Commonwealth, they were either occupied or in the case of Turkey - neutral, Syria and Lebanon were Vichy French  colonies.   The period in question followed Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain, the Blitz etc.   So to all intents and purposes; (June 1940 until June 1941) - alone.  But I wouldn't expect you to know.      :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

I think it is fair to say that 45 years in the club hasn't been a sleigh ride either regarding prosperity in the economy. Heavy industry ,ports decimated ,full time jobs depleted in favour of 16 hours a week supported by benefits to get people off the dole figures  because so many jobs have gone. Various governments have found it easier to buy in from Europe than fight for jobs in the UK. An island nation without a merchant navy suitable to sustain the country should our hour of need ever arise again & a Royal Navy without air cover. As for the negotiations  , i think  Brexit would have been right up Thatcher's alley , she would have loved giving the Eurocrats a bloody nose.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, observer said:

Errm - think you need to google it again:   the Soviet Union wasn't involved until invaded (Operation Barbarossa) 22 June 1941. The USA, the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour 7 December 1941.   As for the rest, with the exception of the Commonwealth, they were either occupied or in the case of Turkey - neutral, Syria and Lebanon were Vichy French  colonies.   The period in question followed Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain, the Blitz etc.   So to all intents and purposes; (June 1940 until June 1941) - alone.  But I wouldn't expect you to know.      :rolleyes:

So, this time without any revision, tell me about the Battle of Britain, who were the most successful squadron, who was the most successful individual ace?  I'll give you a clue, UKIP made idiots of themselves when they used images of one of this squadrons spitfires in an anti immigration ad.   Poles, New Zealanders, Canadians, Czechoslovaks, Irish, Australians, Belgians, South Africans,French, Americans, Southern Rhodesians ,Jamaicans and a Palestinian all flying against the Axis powers.   If Britain had been truly alone it would have lost.  There was never a time in WW2 when the Axis powers faced only Britain.

• Downvote 2

lol:D  So now you're grasping at the volunteer squadrons straw !  :rolleyes:   These were escapees from various countries that had been overrun, or sympathisers such as the US squadron; who came as individuals; and with the exception of commonwealth countries,  their national states were not involved and they constituted a minority of squadrons (less than 20% of the few) in terms of the total. It's like claiming the UK is allied to ISIS, because a handful of nutters from the UK are fighting for them !  So I guess this is the kind of PC diversity c**p they're filling your heads with nowadays.  So, I repeat, as a national entity, we were alone.  :rolleyes:    There's a film just come out about the period, showing Churchill's stubborn refusal to accept German peace overtures, while appeasers like Lord Halifax, were ready to fold.  Unfortunately we no longer have a statesman like Churchill to lead us.     :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Davy51 said:

I think it is fair to say that 45 years in the club hasn't been a sleigh ride either regarding prosperity in the economy. Heavy industry ,ports decimated ,full time jobs depleted in favour of 16 hours a week supported by benefits to get people off the dole figures  because so many jobs have gone. Various governments have found it easier to buy in from Europe than fight for jobs in the UK. An island nation without a merchant navy suitable to sustain the country should our hour of need ever arise again & a Royal Navy without air cover. As for the negotiations  , i think  Brexit would have been right up Thatcher's alley , she would have loved giving the Eurocrats a bloody nose.

The biggest economic hit we've taken was the 2008 financial crash, which has stagnated living standards ever since; being in the EU made absolutely no difference to our surviving that disaster.    :ph34r:

On 31/01/2018 at 1:01 PM, observer said:

and with the exception of commonwealth countries,  

So, I repeat, as a national entity, we were alone.  :rolleyes:    

So not alone at all, I shall repeat, at no time during 1940 were the Axis forces battling Britain alone.  Your reference to a movie as evidence is as per pathetic.  The ultimate irony is that rabid Bretards like yourself are the ones who keep dragging up the Fascists defeat in a war over 70 years back yet you embrace the same politics as the Third Reich.  Perhaps for the likes of you the wrong side won in 1945.

• Downvote 1