cheeky French Bs -

observer

Seems M Macron has milked another  £44million out of the UK Gov, to add to previous £millions being spent on security fencing and cameras, in and around Calais. Then to add insult to injury, asks that we take some of the illegal migrants dossing around France, having thrown in a sweetener that he will loan us the Bayeaux Tapestry.   Whilst we may have a Parliament full of liberal bleeding hearts, isn't it time we had a Gov with some common sense ?   The French have allowed illegal migrants to enter France and roam all the way to Calais, previously building camps; so why aren't they rounding up these "illegal" migrants and deporting them back to their country of origin ?   Why isn't HMG doing the same with those that slip through the net into the UK ?   HMG are responsible for protecting the territorial integrity of the UK, that's why we have an Army and Navy;  but they've totally failed to defend our borders against this invasion for decades.    :ph34r:

• Upvote 2

It's only because the French haven't got the gonads to round them up and deport them; if they did, we wouldn't need that level of security in the first place.  Speaks volumes for the fate of the UK (according to the Remoaners), that Brexit will turn us into a third world economy; that every migrant and his dog is heading for the UK - they seem to have more confidence in our future than they do.        :ph34r:.

• Upvote 1

Something has to be done but whether or not this is the right approach remains to be seen. 

I don't quite see why we have to pay £44 million though but then again people clearly see the UK as a safe place to come and perhaps a soft touch which is why so many try to come here which in turn must causes part of the problem in Calais.

Maybe as a start we (UK) might be better just cutting all social security/housing type payments etc  etc and free medical care to any coming in...if there is no incentive to come then maybe not so many would want to.

Having seen some of the conditions in the border camps and the peoples desperation to get themselves and their families to a place like the UK where they think they can live a safer and better life I can see why they try.....I think would try too if I was in their shoes and me and my family were living in a 'war' zone  :(     Horrid world in some places :(

1 hour ago, Togger1 said:

If you are ok stepping over dead bodies here and there then yes, great idea.

That's not at all what I meant and no I wouldn't be ok stepping over their dead bodies.  Did you read my whole post or just that bit ?

Surely even you can see that there has to be a point where the UK cannot take any more of these desperate people in and surely you have also seen the dangerous and appalling conditions they are 'living' in near the borders in the hope they can get through to get here...not to mention those who come in via other routes and risk their lives in doing so sometimes even die.

What about the ones who pretty much hijack incoming lorries or sneak on to them not only risking their own lives in the way they do it but also the lives and futures of the law abiding drivers too.

Like I said...something needs to be done for all involved and for the UK as a little island too...cos that's what we are...a tiny little island which everyone from afar seems to think is utopia  :(

Saying the EU is supposed to be such an organised bloc of countries , it speaks volumes for the ineptitude of the EU that not all countries within the club are in a position to offer the same security & benefits to these economic  migrants  as UK plc. As we all know there is no right in law for these migrants to be constantly directed to Britain as a land of milk & honey. Central EU/UN funding should be making it possible for even the poorest most corrupt states to be able to settle "refugees".

As it stands the government is allowing itself to be bullied by Macron, the Spanish over Gibraltar , changes to or abolition of the  agricultural & fishing EU dictats ,& what will Germany be waiting to give us as a leaving present i wonder ? I think  the government needs to seriously think about walking away from the EU without a deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Togger1 said:

they wont need to round them up and deport them if we don't pay our dues to police our border ,  they could just let them on the lorries and boats and their problem is solved.

Think that's the point, the French and indeed the EU are not honouring the EU Dublin Treaty, which requires border States to prevent illegal entry into the Shengen Area.  They've allowed these migrants to roam around their country for years, without any attempt to arrest and deport them.  Those that do get through get similar soft treatment in the UK, resulting over a million in our midst. The majority are clearly economic migrants chasing a "better life"; whilst we can't blame them for trying, we can, if there was a grain of political will, ensure they fail and return to advise others not to try.       :ph34r:

6 hours ago, observer said:

Think that's the point, the French and indeed the EU are not honouring the EU Dublin Treaty, which requires border States to prevent illegal entry into the Shengen Area.  They've allowed these migrants to roam around their country for years, without any attempt to arrest and deport them.  Those that do get through get similar soft treatment in the UK, resulting over a million in our midst. The majority are clearly economic migrants chasing a "better life"; whilst we can't blame them for trying, we can, if there was a grain of political will, ensure they fail and return to advise others not to try.       :ph34r:

They will have no obligation to honour anything regarding the UK soon.

6 hours ago, Dizzy said:

That's not at all what I meant and no I wouldn't be ok stepping over their dead bodies.  Did you read my whole post or just that bit ?

Surely even you can see that there has to be a point where the UK cannot take any more of these desperate people in and surely you have also seen the dangerous and appalling conditions they are 'living' in near the borders in the hope they can get through to get here...not to mention those who come in via other routes and risk their lives in doing so sometimes even die.

What about the ones who pretty much hijack incoming lorries or sneak on to them not only risking their own lives in the way they do it but also the lives and futures of the law abiding drivers too.

Like I said...something needs to be done for all involved and for the UK as a little island too...cos that's what we are...a tiny little island which everyone from afar seems to think is utopia  :(

They should make it illegal for these illegal immigrants to come here then.  Starving them to death once they do is not my choice of action .  Some of the more alarmist posters have the number at a million,  best stock up on the body bags :wink:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I suppose we should be grateful that Macron's latest piece of highway robbery is only in £ millions & not billions. Maybe the best way to spend the ransom would be on electrified fences & armed guards of some sort. The remainder could go to the government agency that fixes the problem.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Togger1 said:

They should make it illegal for these illegal immigrants to come here then.  Starving them to death once they do is not my choice of action .  Some of the more alarmist posters have the number at a million,  best stock up on the body bags :wink:

It is "illegal" to enter a Country without legal permission, thus making these illegal migrants criminals.  The figure of 1million is far from "alarmist" but a conservative estimate frequently used, without challenge, on TV current affairs progs.  It's an estimate, because the Gov simply doesn't know the precise scale of the problem, as illegal entrants and over-stayers don't want to be found.  When and if found, they're immediate recourse is to apply (with the aid of a swarm of HR Lawyers) for asylum, which then spins out their stay, at a cost to the tax-payer in legal aid, accommodation etc.   So what's the solution ?   The simple solution is to allow the UKBF to deport them when caught, within 48 hours, no ifs, buts or whys, booked on the next flight to their country of origin..  Alas this won't happen, because current legislation doesn't allow it, and with the current flock of liberal bleeding hearts nesting in Parliament, the necessary legal changes will not be made, in fact the direction of travel is in the opposite direction.  So the ball is in the court of the electorate, if you want a solution you need a Parliament that will draught the necessary laws to allow rapid repatriation, and remove other legal obstacles by exiting the ECoJ and ECHR.  So how should we deal with potential immigrants, that want to enter the country legally ?  The first port of call, would be the UK embassy in their own country, where they would apply for a visa, which would be subject to their skills in relation to UK requirements, their ability to speak, read and write English; security checks and medical checks. If granted they would have a time limited permission to enter the UK.    :ph34r:  

You seem to have difficulty in reading - I said " a conservative estimate, used on TV current affairs progs, without challenge"; the figure is probably much higher imo. 

1 hour ago, Togger1 said:

So just a guess then?  Would you be happy if people wishing to leave the UK and live in foreign countries be subject to the same conditions?

They are, have you tried the formal emigration application via Australia House ?   We're not talking about going for a holiday btw.         :ph34r:

and the millions who emigrate to non English speaking countries, must they prove fluency in the language of the country they wish to live in and skills necessary to that countries requirements and have medical checks?????  But then again, I suppose you think they aren't immigrants, they are British so obviously superior.

"and the millions who emigrate to non English speaking countries,,,"

They could always go to one of the many countries where English is the first language:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/english-speaking-countries

"If there's one country in the world...that has no right to complain about immigration, it's Great Britain"

https://tinyurl.com/ycb8asgz

4 hours ago, Togger1 said:

and the millions who emigrate to non English speaking countries, must they prove fluency in the language of the country they wish to live in and skills necessary to that countries requirements and have medical checks?????  But then again, I suppose you think they aren't immigrants, they are British so obviously superior.

That's a matter for those countries: but I can't imagine that not speaking the local language would allow one to function in the workplace very well and any country concerned for it's public health, wouldn't want to risk pandemics.  I'd view British migrants as deserters, so far from superior.       :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, fugtifino said:

"and the millions who emigrate to non English speaking countries,,,"

They could always go to one of the many countries where English is the first language:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/english-speaking-countries

"If there's one country in the world...that has no right to complain about immigration, it's Great Britain"

https://tinyurl.com/ycb8asgz

:rolleyes:    Here we go; the historic guilt of colonialization, as if it somehow now justifies modern migrations.  yawn     :ph34r:

• Upvote 1