Post Box Collections

Milky

• 4 weeks later...

Milky, I looked at the Royal Mail site and as far as I can tell the 9am time means that the postman who delivers to the area around the box will collect from it at the same time as he delivers mail. It just means he will not start before 9am!! If my understanding is correct it means those who are at work when post is delivered will not be any the wiser and it may as well be collected at 9am, not at all helpful information.

Gone are the days of two and three collections per day.

Used to get a 9am collection a 1pm collection and a 6pm collection. this changed to 9 am and 5pm and then to just the one collection of 9am.

It may be down to the fact that emails, texts and social media posts are now more prevalent than letters thus doing away with the need to empty the post boxes as often as they were. where people used to spend an hour or so writing a letter they will  now send a text or an email. bills, that at one time would land on the door step and require a reply via a return envelope and cheque are now paid either on line, over the  phone or by direct debit.

so no point in sending a man with a van out three times a day to pick up half a dozen envelopes from a post box. once a day and get that days offering. makes sense financially as well a as there is a saving in fuel and means that the person who could spend most of their working day sitting in traffic between post boxes could be used for other work in the depot

If it weren't for the begging letters/charity donation requests, adverts for credit cards and loans and other junk mail then i would probably never see my local post person for months on end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, Latchford Locks said:

Sainsburys on Church st has a 5.30pm collection according to the information on the box.

Maybe there should be a list of postboxes with later collections.

Can anyone add more?

I posted my later at the post office at the petrol station on Lovely Lane, yet opposite at the hospital the collection time is 9.30!

It makes sense to me. It seems they use small vans to deliver 2 or 3 postmen to an area to do their rounds, so it's probably logical for them to empty the boxes in the area once they've finished delivering, as they have the van there.

It sure makes sense from the logistics point, not from the customer service though.

10 hours ago, Togger1 said:

If its urgent you can send it same day delivery, if its not you can use standard delivery, it's that simple

https://www.royalmail.com/business/services/sending/letters-uk/sameday-letter-delivery

There you go Togger, you can talk sense when you want to. Of course you can't just drop a letter in the nearest postbox and expect same day delivery, which is what this thread is about...................

3 hours ago, asperity said:

There you go Togger, you can talk sense when you want to. Of course you can't just drop a letter in the nearest postbox and expect same day delivery, which is what this thread is about...................

Clearly the same can't be said of you.  If a letter is SO urgent that delivery time is important, surely it's worth popping in and sending same day, if not or if you are too lazy or too much of a cheapskate, put it in a postbox and take your chances as it can't have been so important in the first place.  Of course then you get the added bonus of something to whinge about on your local forum.

( great to see Asperity is still smarting after being pulled up for trying to pass bulls£t as fact in another thread :D  )

Asp,

The quoted url in your last post is a business courier service. I fail to see the connection between using that service and the original issue raised that ordinary post boxes no longer have actual collection times on their "next collection" tabs.

Turning to the suggested  same-day service, an indication of the costs incurred for it (during the day- prices vary by time and destination) - From an address in Warrington to London £265.78, from the Town Centre to Birchwood Park £26.40. You are essentially hiring a taxi (in the form of a red Royal Mail van) to carry your parcel or packet. This is, of course, neither an answer to the original problem or a rational way for private individuals to behave. It would mostly be cheaper to deliver - "By Hand". The original requirement by Milky of "quite urgent" does not really fit the costs of using this service, particularly since if high value was involved or proof of delivery it would have needed to use recorded or special delivery which both require a visit to the post office.

6 hours ago, Togger1 said:

Clearly the same can't be said of you.  If a letter is SO urgent that delivery time is important, surely it's worth popping in and sending same day, if not or if you are too lazy or too much of a cheapskate, put it in a postbox and take your chances as it can't have been so important in the first place.  Of course then you get the added bonus of something to whinge about on your local forum.

( great to see Asperity is still smarting after being pulled up for trying to pass bulls£t as fact in another thread :D  )

Clearly you haven't read through the contents of this thread. This is the advice I gave to the original poster i.e. if it's urgent take it to the nearest Post Office, which is exactly what I do. But of course your only purpose of being on this forum is to try and pick faults with other posters and to crow over your perceived victories. Get a life Togger.

6 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

Asp,

The quoted url in your last post is a business courier service. I fail to see the connection between using that service and the original issue raised that ordinary post boxes no longer have actual collection times on their "next collection" tabs.

Turning to the suggested  same-day service, an indication of the costs incurred for it (during the day- prices vary by time and destination) - From an address in Warrington to London £265.78, from the Town Centre to Birchwood Park £26.40. You are essentially hiring a taxi (in the form of a red Royal Mail van) to carry your parcel or packet. This is, of course, neither an answer to the original problem or a rational way for private individuals to behave. It would mostly be cheaper to deliver - "By Hand". The original requirement by Milky of "quite urgent" does not really fit the costs of using this service, particularly since if high value was involved or proof of delivery it would have needed to use recorded or special delivery which both require a visit to the post office.

It wasn't my post Confused it was Togger's so take it up with him.

2 hours ago, asperity said:

But of course your only purpose of being on this forum is to try and pick faults with other posters and to crow over your perceived victories. Get a life Togger.

Perhaps if you stopped presenting bulls£t as fact I would have no raison d'être and you could be a happy soul. :D

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Togger1 said:

error?  I simply offered advice on how to get an urgent letter from A to B in a very speedy fashion.  I have also presented other, less quick but more affordable options,  in line with my caring nature and love for fellow posters.

10 hours ago, Togger1 said:

On 19/12/2017 at 5:00 PM, asperity said:

If I have anything urgent to send I take it to the post office. I've had occasion when mail I've put in a post box hasn't turned up.I certainly never post anything important in a box!

On 03/02/2018 at 9:17 AM, asperity said:

As I've said before, if I want to make sure any post is put in the system asap I take it to the post office.

The error you made in not reading all the previous posts before accusing me of being lazy and/or a cheapskate. But of course Togger is never wrong about anything (in his own little fantasy world).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, asperity said:

The error you made in not reading all the previous posts before accusing me of being lazy and/or a cheapskate. But of course Togger is never wrong about anything (in his own little fantasy world).

Are you simple?  I accused you of nothing,  I was referring to the OP but in your race to be offended by me you didn't follow your own advice and read the posts properly.  When Milky posted his/her letter they had made the trip to the post office to do so,  all the services I outlined are available there.  And you tell others to get a life, physician heal thyself.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Togger1 said:

Are you simple?  I accused you of nothing,  I was referring to the OP but in your race to be offended by me you didn't follow your own advice and read the posts properly.  When Milky posted his/her letter they had made the trip to the post office to do so,  all the services I outlined are available there.  And you tell others to get a life, physician heal thyself.

You're the simpleton matey. You quoted my post :

15 hours ago, asperity said:

and posted this with it.

12 hours ago, Togger1 said:

So are you going to admit this error or have I made it up somehow? Personally I think you don't want to admit that you're ever wrong. Sad.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, asperity said:

You're the simpleton matey. You quoted my post :

and posted this with it.

So are you going to admit this error or have I made it up somehow? Personally I think you don't want to admit that you're ever wrong. Sad.

what error? I quoted your post, referred to it in answer then moved to the letter being discussed. The person i alluded to being lazy etc. was the original poster as this is surely the letter we are discussing.  It's not always about you Asperity,  as your importance level falls way below that of your self importance :wink:

• Downvote 1