New 'Market' Car Park

Dizzy

Have you used the new multy storey car park near the market yet.  Me and my dad did for the first time today as all the other car parks were full and queues everywhere to try and get in.  The new car park had no queue at all but blimey what an experience.  

First we drove to it along Academy Way, turning down Bank Street and couldn't find the way in but followed what we though was the right route to the entrance which took us round the painted on island, along Moulders Lane around the perimeter of car park and back to join Academy Way.  So now where do we go we wondered. 

So we turned right back onto Academy Way (although we were not sure if we were allowed to do that as cars could never go that way before but it was quiet there so we took our chances) going in the the opposite direction as before and tried again following the the same route as before and blummin' heck the entrance was there...we must have driven right past it.....how had we missed it first time?

So in we drove....it's very low (and dark) inside and I was convinced the low concrete grey beams were going to hit the roof of my car as drove along.  For some strange reason I kept ducking too when going under them... I must have looked very strange :lol:

No room on the 1st floor so sense would say go up a level to the 2nd floor....but again we went what we presumed was the right way but turned out to be the wrong way as we didn't see any signs for UP...so once again we finished up back where we started again as if we had only just come in.  We could see others driving past the entrance too at that point which did make me grin in the knowledge that that they too were about to embark on the same perimeter external tour we had also done etc.

Anyway we finally found the way UP to the next level but I nearly drove UP the DOWN side of the 2 car 'ramp' as it seems the opposite way round to most other car parks and to the old one too.  You go UP on the right hand side now but I guess it does make sense as no stopping of the flow of movement that way.  

Maybe they need to make the signs and marking in there better though as we were lucky today as it was really quiet in there and hardly any cars moving about but if it was busy I bet there would be quite a few bumps and car park rage incidents.

The worst thing for me though is one of the glass fronted lifts had no lift in it...so you could look through the glass and see the big  chains and the long drop.
Now that really freaked me out...I will never use a lift again after seeing that :shock::blink::lol:

I am sure that council will get the contractor to address the issues of adequate signage both to the entrance and inside. (especially if there are a few bumps due to the layout as people will blame that and the council could have some  hefty insurance claims sent to them) the entrance ones especially as they could lose potential parking revenue if you can't get in the car park.

Dizz a glass fronted lift with no lift is just a window.:roll:.

Chain's on a lift sounds odd though i was under the impression that lifts used substantial steel rope for support as they are more flexible when it comes to being wound round a drum.

I have been stuck in lifts a few times once for over three hours, certainly teaches you patience. but have only really had problems with two lifts. the  first was the paternoster lifts at the old UKAEA buildings. Basically a set of open boxes that moved continuously one side going up the other going down.  you had to time your step on and off those to match the speed.

the other was a contractors lift i had to use when they were building the tower at daresbury. that was basically a wire cage with a motor bolted to one corner with a big cog on. going up was not to bad but coming down was free fall for the first six foot whilst the motor caught up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 4:21 PM, Milky said:

Been pass the car park the road layout is is quite confusing.

According to Warrington magazine if you validate your ticket at the market and get three hours free parking.

Are the new traffic lights on Mersey St really required?

Correct free parking for three hours if validated at the market - RE traffic lights - half the traffic light sin Warrington are not required IMHO !

I've not been in again since then Evils.  No particular reason other than I don't find Warrington town centre too good for shopping and I don't like shopping either...so a bad combination for me :blink::lol:
It was deffo chains and not a steel rope I saw in the empty lift space though.  I wish I'd taken a pic now.

As for those evil paternoster you mentioned up at Risley I still have nightmares about using them.  How I wish I could slap the person who designed them for the years of fear they put me through.  AARGH !!!!

On 12/19/2017 at 4:21 PM, Milky said:

Are the new traffic lights on Mersey St really required?

I'd say no they are not needed too...but hey the traffic planner always know best :blink:

Maybe in a few years time when the rest of the time square development is completed like the new big cinema, new council offices  etc etc the traffic lights might be of use though.....we will see :wink:

no sprinklers in the car park, which could have slowed the fire and maybe stopped it spreading as it did.

Car parks are designed to get the maximum no of cars in so there is little room between cars. (usually just enough to open a standard car door without causing too much damage to the  car next to it).

Cars also tend to have a lot of combustible parts, especially at the front and rear where plastic is used where there were once steel bumpers. would not be at all surprised if a lot of new cars had "plastic" petrol tanks as well. I know mine has a plastic petrol tank. (mind you mine is all plastic apart from the necessary engine and chassis which is mostly aluminium or an alloy of aluminium.)

• Upvote 1

Would a water sprinkler system have much effect on a car park fire though with fuel and other highly combustible materials going up in flames.  I might be wrong but doesn't water make fuel fires flare up and spread quicker somehow and that foam type extinguishers should be used in such instances instead ?  Maybe I'm getting confused....