Universal Benefit ?

observer

A non-binding vote in Parliament, designed to embarrass the Gov was reported on TV news tonight;  with reports on those affected.   All those affected appeared to be single mothers and the fathers were nowhere to be seen.  Excuse my ignorance, but aren't birth fathers responsible for their child's support, assuming of course, that they aren't on benefits too !      :rolleyes:

Universal benefit is an evil in society & i am basically a Tory. Any benefit which deprives individuals or families of up to six weeks in payments can't be good for society. I am one of the first to say that the lame ,lazy & workshy should be put back into work but this Universal Credit is, in my mind, more likely to lead to debt,reliance on loan sharks &  criminal activity,especially leading up to Christmas. Six weeks pay is a lot to lose & i find it hard to believe that  250,000 jobs will be filled by the introduction of this tax on living. What next,the workhouse ?

Not an issue I'm well informed about Dave, merely a detached observation on a TV news item. which told us that UB was agreed in principle by all Parties in the Commons, as a much needed simplification of the system.  But as with most new "systems" nowadays, has suffered teething troubles, which the Gov are trying to iron out.  My observations however were refering to some of the   "claimants", as shown on the report, which seems to confirm that motherhood is now a career option for many; my query was about the role and responsibilities of fatherhood, in these cases.         :ph34r: