New Market ?

observer

Yep it certainly looks like 'some form of cladding' on parts...I'm sure it will have been checked for safety though :unsure:

What I don't get though Obs is where you say "the inside doesn't appear very different from the one they demolished"

Which one that they have demolished ?

You can't mean the old one that was there before the days of the Golden Square new build as the old Market looked nothing like this new temporary one.

And you can't mean the current market that the traders will be moving from as that's still standing and open so hasn't been demolished.

So where do you mean?

Dizz they demolished the multi storey car park that had a link bridge to the market and have built a new multi storey car park in it's place adding the honeycomb effect exterior and extra parking spaces (probably). They have not yet demolished the old market as they have not yet opened the new temporary market for the traders from the old market to move into until they have rebuilt the new permanent market for the traders to move into from the new temporary market which will then be used as new retail and leisure units eg. a market or some such.:blink:

Obs there are certain reasons why it will not appear very different. The main one being that multi storey car parks have one main use, to park  cars in. as such there is very little that you can change about the design. several large flat floors to park the cars with ramps for car access and egress and lifts and stairs for successful parkees to become pedestrians. Throw in a couple of barriers at entrance and exit and some pay stations and that is it. design wise any kid with a decent lego set could design and build a scale model of one.:D

The old one wasn't that bad and to me it seems a bit wasteful to pull one down and replace it with one that is only marginally bigger but maybe there were good reasons for doing this? My hats off to the designers though for at least making it look attractive rather than the bland concrete format that so many other car parks tend to be like.  I've heard a few (including the missus) say it's ugly but you have to bear in mind how bad it could have been.

As for the cladding, I wouldn't worry too much as most of it is holes and to my knowledge, they don't burn that easily.

Bill :)

5 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Dizz they demolished the multi storey car park that had a link bridge to the market and have built a new multi storey car park in it's place adding the honeycomb effect exterior and extra parking spaces (probably). They have not yet demolished the old market as they have not yet opened the new temporary market for the traders from the old market to move into until they have rebuilt the new permanent market for the traders to move into from the new temporary market which will then be used as new retail and leisure units eg. a market or some such.:blink:

Obs there are certain reasons why it will not appear very different. The main one being that multi storey car parks have one main use, to park  cars in. as such there is very little that you can change about the design. several large flat floors to park the cars with ramps for car access and egress and lifts and stairs for successful parkees to become pedestrians. Throw in a couple of barriers at entrance and exit and some pay stations and that is it. design wise any kid with a decent lego set could design and build a scale model of one.:D

Precisely my question on the need to demolish and build another one. Surely it would be easier and cheaper to have modified the original ?

I also question the need to demolish the old one Obs, and we are not alone in this, CABE questioned the need for this new car park but their expert opinion was not heeded by either the planning department nor our 60 councillors.

I also question the need to build a new market now that we have ample space to site this facility in the Golden Square.

The Golden Square shopping area should be reserved for shopping, and is in close proximity to the bus station. A supermarket here would also be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

The old one was a concrete monstrosity which was out dated and not very welcoming - the new one looks fantastic in comparison, is bigger and will be lit up like a welcoming beason once it goes live later this year.

Personally I think it is a huge improvement - just like the new temporary market.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gary said:

The old one was a concrete monstrosity which was out dated and not very welcoming - the new one looks fantastic in comparison, is bigger and will be lit up like a welcoming beason once it goes live later this year.

Personally I think it is a huge improvement - just like the new temporary market.

It does look nicer, but at what cost?

Painting or cladding the building would have improved its look at a fraction of the cost.

Should the council pull down the office block in Scotland Rd because it does not look nice.

Millions spent on something that really was not needed yet the council does not have the money to save the Cabinet Works and repair some off the derelict buildings like the pub as you cross the bridge  over the Mersey 

should it be lit up in a age were we are concerned with pollution and who will pay the bill. It should have smart lights that go off when not needed.

9 hours ago, Milky said:

It does look nicer, but at what cost?

Painting or cladding the building would have improved its look at a fraction of the cost.

Should the council pull down the office block in Scotland Rd because it does not look nice.

Millions spent on something that really was not needed yet the council does not have the money to save the Cabinet Works and repair some off the derelict buildings like the pub as you cross the bridge  over the Mersey 

should it be lit up in a age were we are concerned with pollution and who will pay the bill. It should have smart lights that go off when not needed.

you complain about the cost of building a car park needed for the new cinema, shops, restaurants, market , offices etc.  then say the Council should start knocking down office blocks you don't find attractive,  at what cost???

The council cannot and should not repair buildings it does not own, that would be costly, stupid and most probably illegal.  It doesn't own the pub you refer to which I assume is the old Packet House.

1 hour ago, Togger1 said:

you complain about the cost of building a car park needed for the new cinema, shops, restaurants, market , offices etc.  then say the Council should start knocking down office blocks you don't find attractive,  at what cost???

The council cannot and should not repair buildings it does not own, that would be costly, stupid and most probably illegal.  It doesn't own the pub you refer to which I assume is the old Packet House.

They can always buy them!

Seriously though I have never seen a justification for the replacement car park.

As for the packet House, the council have the power to order repairs or do them themselves and recover the cost. Many councils have empty building officers who look to put buildings back into use.

A little bit off topic, What off the future of Westbrook Cinema. Not been for a while, last time I went with my niece and we were the only ones at the screening. I know it has had a number of owners, wonder if it will close soon after the city centre one opens.

I went to the Westbrook Odeon last night and there were many people watching the same movie as i was.  

So are you seriously suggesting that the council should compulsory purchase all the buildings that need any sort of repairs doing or do them and then try to claim the money?  If the owners of said buildings refuse to sell that is your only, and very drawn out expensive option.  The old car park was not big enough, was falling to bits and looked an absolute mess, other than that it was perfect. The town centre is well overdue a revamp and I can't wait to see the final results, the new temporary market is a fine building and I like the design of the new car park too.  One thing for sure, you can't please everyone all the time, especially not on here :wink:

I went to the Westbrook Odeon last night and there were many people watching the same movie as i was.  

So are you seriously suggesting that the council should compulsory purchase all the buildings that need any sort of repairs doing or do them and then try to claim the money?  If the owners of said buildings refuse to sell that is your only, and very drawn out expensive option.  The old car park was not big enough, was falling to bits and looked an absolute mess, other than that it was perfect. The town centre is well overdue a revamp and I can't wait to see the final results, the new temporary market is a fine building and I like the design of the new car park too.  One thing for sure, you can't please everyone all the time, especially not on here :wink:

First I hear that the car park was falling to bits and I really do not think it wasn't big enough (I am sure I once read it was underused). I never found problems finding ample parking apart for around Christmas and i suspect it will still be the case. Does anyone else here feel the car park was not big enough?

As I said many councils have empty building officers who work to bring back buildings into use. The reason developers leave building to decay is so they can tear them down and they are allowed to get away with it. The council seem to have lots of money to spend on new council offices, new car parks and risk ventures like cinemas.

Hope you enjoyed your movie, doesn't really answer the question I posed though. Is the town big enough for two cinemas?

1 hour ago, Milky said:

First I hear that the car park was falling to bits and I really do not think it wasn't big enough (I am sure I once read it was underused). I never found problems finding ample parking apart for around Christmas and i suspect it will still be the case. Does anyone else here feel the car park was not big enough?

the car park was not fit for purpose and was not big enough to cater for the new developments it is being built to service, its being built for the future, nothing whatsoever to do with your past jaunts into the market.  Have you not heard about the re development of that area ?  As for can the town justify 2 cinemas  we would both be guessing.  You moan about the Council spending money and then moan about them not spending money,  which is it to be??

2 hours ago, Togger1 said:

the car park was not fit for purpose and was not big enough to cater for the new developments it is being built to service, its being built for the future, nothing whatsoever to do with your past jaunts into the market.  Have you not heard about the re development of that area ?  As for can the town justify 2 cinemas  we would both be guessing.  You moan about the Council spending money and then moan about them not spending money,  which is it to be??

Both!!! In my view it is wrong to pull down perfectly good buildings to venture that may not produce the results that are desired. What happens then?

Do you not know there is a second large car park just around the corner that is mostly empty at night and half empty during the day?

I would like to see some of old Warrington preserved.

PS How many cars did the old car park accommodate, anyone know?

9 minutes ago, Milky said:

Both!!! In my view it is wrong to pull down perfectly good buildings to venture that may not produce the results that are desired. What happens then?

Do you not know there is a second large car park just around the corner that is mostly empty at night and half empty during the day?

I would like to see some of old Warrington preserved.

PS How many cars did the old car park accommodate, anyone know?

So the old town centre, the market, the car park, Bridge Street, all perfect according to you and no change required, right, you must be mad if you don't think the whole place needed a regeneration, its like a mausoleum down there and the sooner all the redevelopment is finished the better in my opinion.

So the old town centre, the market, the car park, Bridge Street, all perfect according to you and no change required, right, you must be mad if you don't think the whole place needed a regeneration, its like a mausoleum down there and the sooner all the redevelopment is finished the better in my opinion.

I agree with you but not sure the current development will do that. I find it very difficult to see how it will do anything to regenerate the area much further then the cinema square.

I mean who goes shopping before or after going to the cinema.? Might go to somewhere like weatherspoons or Toby for a meal but your not likely to go clothes shopping, or for electronics right after or before you have been to a movie theatre. I know no one who does.

How often do you go to a cinema and when? probably your going on your day off and if your not going to see a specific film, your going for a cheap night out.

You said you have been to Westbrook, had problems parking? There is no multi story car park and how many shops and restaurants and so on around the cinema? How many  that are open after you leave in the evening? 

Take the Trafford Centre cinema as another example, the shops are closed when you come out of the cinema at night, why do they not stay open?

I don't get why people going to the city centre cinema will behave differently.

I hope I am wrong though.

1 hour ago, Milky said:

I agree with you but not sure the current development will do that. I find it very difficult to see how it will do anything to regenerate the area much further then the cinema square.

I mean who goes shopping before or after going to the cinema.? Might go to somewhere like weatherspoons or Toby for a meal but your not likely to go clothes shopping, or for electronics right after or before you have been to a movie theatre. I know no one who does.

How often do you go to a cinema and when? probably your going on your day off and if your not going to see a specific film, your going for a cheap night out.

You said you have been to Westbrook, had problems parking? There is no multi story car park and how many shops and restaurants and so on around the cinema? How many  that are open after you leave in the evening? 

Take the Trafford Centre cinema as another example, the shops are closed when you come out of the cinema at night, why do they not stay open?

I don't get why people going to the city centre cinema will behave differently.

I hope I am wrong though.

this argument wouldn't even be valid if they were ONLY building a cinema, they aren't