Nostalgia

Stallard12

Is 'nostalgia' a lost concept?   Old folks always remember 'the old days', but do the youngsters have that same gene?  Or is life so superficial and transient now, that the past is not retained?    Why do I drunkenly ( not really, I only opened the bar an hour ago)  raise this existential subject ( I hate people who use big words, just to appear smart) ?  I'll tell you.    One of my first ports of call every time I visited Galveston, Texas, was a three story, scruffy store on the historic Strand.  It was an old US army surplus store, it was three floors of of crammed aisles of helmets, ammunition boxes , uniforms (US, British and German), canteens, tents, camoflaged items of all kinds.  A cornucopia of WW2 memorabilia, packed into a musty, non air conditioned building, all going for a handful of coins.   I was there last week and to my horror, the place was boarded up and in the process of demolition.  No doubt it will reopen soon as a boutique for mini dresses.  Anyone understand?

True asp when i were a lad we ad proper nostalgia.

My gran and my mother after her were better than these website places for ancestry, they could tell you the names of everybody within a five mile radius, who they married and who their sisters married and give a brief description that would make a police sketch artist give up his pencils. many a conversation would contain such descriptions as " you know her with the squint, married that bloke with the funny walk, who's brother made all his own dresses"

The famous army and navy store was always one of my first choice shops in warrington. Great for clothing and camping stuff. could just about get anything from the place, ideal if you were a scout as you could buy most of your cooking tins there, those clip together knife fork and spoon sets, rucksacks that you fit a small car into.

there was also the army surplus place on winwick road which was similar to the one stallard mentioned.Got my first motorbike jacket from there, a genuine bomber jacket, proper leather with a sheepskin lining the size of three sheep. Great for winter wear, not too good in the warm summer months though.

These days stuff like that costs an arm and a leg from one of these trendy shops or internet sites.

5 hours ago, observer said:

Nostalgia tends to be a reflection on experience (real or imagined);  we now have a new history being created, where anything that's none PC, is being hairbrushed out.   :ph34r:

Fgs, obs, are there no threads that you don't see as a potential soapbox to vent your particular style of bile?

Oh for the days when you could use the "N" word without opprobrium, eh?

Oh, and "hairbrush".

Isn't nostalgia just nature's way of confusing the human mind into looking at the past through rose coloured glasses. Some things may have been better but a lot of improvements have been made along the way. We have gadgets for everything to make life easier & can even wipe out other nations at the touch of a button.

9 hours ago, Davy51 said:

Isn't nostalgia just nature's way of confusing the human mind into looking at the past through rose coloured glasses. Some things may have been better but a lot of improvements have been made along the way. We have gadgets for everything to make life easier & can even wipe out other nations at the touch of a button.

...can even wipe out other nations at the touch of a button.

And you think that's an "improvement"?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice Gary, thank you.  I used to have a black Z28.  Also spent lots of time watching the B29s landing at Burtonwood at the end of the war.  Sorry I didn't  reply sooner, didn't know your post was there.

Got to go now, wife has to take the stitches out of my legs - skin cancer biopsies, like catching a cold if you live here.

• 2 weeks later...

Nostalgia - a sentimental longing or wistful affection for a period in the past.

“We do not live in the past, but the past in us.”

Ulrich Bonnell Phillips

Born - La Grange, Georgia, The United States

November 04, 1877 - January 21, 1934.

The past – with all it’s memories, events  and experiences  lives in us and often it just might so happen that the past is stronger than the present .

Without memories and events both good and bad our lives mean for nothing, without them we do not learn!.

Great Algy, but to me, it just seems good when you're drunk !  Little late, but what the hell.  la Grange Texas.  About an hour and a half from us, go through it on US71 every time we go to Austin.  Home of the late Chicken Ranch, famous whorehouse.  Basis of the movie, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.  

Sorry, just noticed the Georgia reference, but it's a good story anyway. Y'all are welcome.  What was I saying about being drunk?