Road humps ?

observer

Love them or loathe them, they certainly reduce traffic speeds; but now with traffic air pollution is becoming the latest issue to trend; seems Gov are considering tearing them all up !    So it seems the choice is, choke on fumes or get run over ?         :rolleyes:

But gov are going to ban diesel and petrol cars in the future so no more fumes from cars as they will all be electric and we can spend money on putting back the speed humps because of speeding electric cars....or maybe to slow down speeding cyclists :roll:

As an after thought to posting this i wonder if the excess tarmac from the speed humps will be used to fill in some of the potholes

Given the lack of generating capacity how are electric cars going to work then. Batteries to store the solar during the day and then charge cars at night via more batteries. That's not going to incur any inefficiencies at all is it. Oh and the batteries are never going to need replacing are they? I think the greens have taken over the asylum.

The latest strange idea to emerge on the issue of traffic pollution, is that of covering M/Ways with a poly-tunnel, designed to absorb the pollutants and protect the immediate environment.   But won't this mean that those in vehicles, in this tunnel, will be breathing in even more concentrated pollutants ?      :wacko:

Apparently, statistics are revealing a massive 25% drop in diesel car registrations while electric & hybrids are up 65%  but i didn't catch what period that was over. Perhaps another idea that needs kicking into the long grass is engines that stop in traffic queues & spew even more poison out when restarted.

I can beat that. In the last two years I've had to have SIX broken springs replaced plus a complete front sub frame and all attributed to speed hump damage.

And the crazy thing is that I never go over them at much more than 10 mph!

Bill :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had one pretty much the same Asp, a nice comfy car.

There's no doubt that constant braking and acceleration increases pollution levels but speed bumps do slow traffic down albeit just a bit for most drivers so overall they work but to my mind there are better ways of doing this without breaking cars. 

Bill :)