Brexit's losers -

I see the Doomsday scenario is being wheeled out by the Remoan brigade since Mrs May mentioned the  "no deal" scenario. They are even talking about  there being no flights on Brexit Day ,which i think should be designated an annual Bank holiday. Perhaps,Treeser's  suggestion will make the good burghers of the EU understand we mean business.

1 hour ago, Confused52 said:

If there are no flights then the US will be cut off from practically the whole EU because they will not be able to reach the North Atlantic Tracks which all terminate in UK airspace until they divert everything via Madrid which will cost them a lot of money.

Reminds me of the headline:-

"Fog in the English Channel, Continent isolated"

:D:D:D

By the way the story about this headline is probably a myth, but it does encapsulate the British relationship with the continent we are part of.

I've compared the Brexit situation to the Millennium bug too. I'm confident in 50 years time, that the history books will sum it up in a paragraph basically saying " in 2019 the UK altered the way it traded with the EU".

Breaking news Heseltine says that most Brexiteers have now changed their minds. Can't say I've heard any in my circles.

The similarities to 1940 are quite stark, then Lord Halifax and the political elite favoured "a deal",  whilst Winston was totally obstinate and uncompromising in his defiance; which thankfully transfused into the whole will of the Nation.  The doom mongers said we're dependent on food imports, and we started planting parks, gardens and spare ground which halved our reliance.  We we're up against apparently insurmountable odds, yet folk we're stirred into defiance by words - " and if the British Empire should last a thousand years, men will still say, this was their finest hour".  So hopefully, some of those defiant genes of a generation that would not surrender, have survived in their descendants.       :ph34r:

I don't know if anyone saw the last programme in the Simon Reeve series on Russia...there was an interesting statement made by a Russian farmer about the sanctions imposed by the EU over the Crimea. He said that although prices had risen the sanctions have given Russian farming & food production a shot in the arm.

Does anyone actually believe that we can possibly get a "good" deal out of the EU.   The whole point of the exercise, from their point of view, is to demonstrate to all, that leaving the EU will make any exiteer worse off.   This has to be done to stop the rest of the 27 peeling off.    So they've structured the talks in a way that gets us to pay £billions in a divorce settlement, and having agreed that, move onto trade talks, in which we'll have no bargaining power, having given it away in the first phase.       :ph34r:

... and if we still vote for Brexit ?    Have another, and another until they get the right answer ?    The people and global institutions that seem concerned about this, are the same masters of the Universe that gave us the 2008 crash,; who have no allegiance to any Nation State, just their own avarice.        :ph34r:

It seems the desperation stakes are now taking an even bigger twist with Tusk talking about the referendum result being reversible & the UK being welcome to stay. We have arch warmonger ex PM calling for another referendum & just to add publicity to their cause Gina Miller has been voted most influential black person. For our own salvation the UK needs to just walk away & watch the whole sorry mess implode.

• Upvote 1

These people are merely exposing their arrogance and contempt for Plebs;  happy to seek your vote, but not happy to deliver on what you want.        Polls suggest that over 70% of the electorate now want out of the EU and are disgusted with the antics of the EU mafia; yet the four faced, latter day Lenin, Leader of the Liebour Party and his cohort of Remoaners are still doing everything to sell us out.      :ph34r:

"Polls suggest that over 70% of the electorate now want out of the EU..."

Got a link to these polls please?

A quick Google brings up these as the first hit, which seem to be saying the exact opposite, and they're pretty recent:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/should-the-united-kingdom-remain-a-member-of-the-european-union-or-leave-the-european-union-asked-after-the-referendum/

" Liebour..."

Careful, glass houses and all that.

• 2 weeks later...
Just about sums things up

David Davis is at the golf club returning his locker key when Michel Barnier the membership secretary sees him.

"Hello Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier. "I'm sorry to hear you are no longer renewing your club membership, if you would like to come to my office we can settle your account".

"I have already settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis..

"Ah yes Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier, "but there are other matters that need settlement"

In Mr Barnier’s office Mr Davis explains that he has settled his bar bill so wonders what else he can possibly owe the Golf Club? "Well Mr Davis" begins Mr Barnier, "you did agree to buy one of our Club Jackets".

"Yes" agrees Mr Davis "I did agree to buy a jacket but I haven't received it yet". "As soon as you supply the jacket I will send you a cheque for the full amount".

"That will not be possible" explains Mr Barnier. "As you are no longer a club member you will not be entitled to buy one of our jackets"!

"But you still want me to pay for it" exclaims Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "That will be £500 for the jacket. "There is also your bar bill".

"But I've already settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "but as you can appreciate, we need to place our orders from the Brewery in advance to ensure our bar is properly stocked".. "You regularly used to spend at least £50 a week in the bar so we have placed orders with the brewery accordingly for the coming year". "You therefore owe us £2600 for the year"..

"Will you still allow me to have these drinks?" asks Mr Davis. "No of course not Mr Davis". "You are no longer a club member!" says Mr Barnier.

"Next is your restaurant bill" continues Mr Barnier. "In the same manner we have to make arrangements in advance with our catering suppliers". "Your average restaurant bill was in the order of £300 a month, so we'll require payment of £3600 for the next year".

"I don't suppose you'll be letting me have these meals either" asks Mr Davis.

"No, of course not" says an irritated Mr Barnier, "you are no longer a club member!"

"Then of course" Mr Barnier continues, "there are repairs to the clubhouse roof".

"Clubhouse roof" exclaims Mr Davis, "What's that got to do with me?"

"Well it still needs to be repaired and the builders are coming in next week", your share of the bill is £2000".

"I see" says Mr Davis, "anything else?".

"Now you mention it" says Mr Barnier, "there is Fred the Barman's pension". "We would like you to pay £5 a week towards Fred's pension when he retires next month". "He's not well you know so I doubt we'll need to ask you for payment for longer than about five years, so £1300 should do it". "This brings your total bill to £10,000" says Mr Barnier.

"Let me get this straight" says Mr Davis, "you want me to pay £500 for a jacket you won't let me have, £2600 for beverages you won't let me drink and £3600 for food you won't let me eat, all under a roof I won't be allowed under and not being served by a bloke who's going to retire next month!"

"Yes, it's all perfectly clear and quite reasonable" says Mr Barnier.

Now we understand what Brexit is all about.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

And the latest is:  that MPs will get to vote on the final Brexit deal, assuming there is one.  So, if they vote against the deal, we leave without a deal, which could be better. With 27 other countries, plus the EU Parliament having to do the same,  is it possible they'll actually agree a "deal" before time runs out ?        :ph34r:

• Upvote 1