"United" Kingdom ?

observer

Seems Labour are offering 4 more bank holidays to tempt voters !  :rolleyes:    Saying it will "unite the Nation".   Just how exactly, does flagging up division into four separate Nations, assist in "uniting" the Nation. The Nation being the United Kingdom of Great Britain & N/I.  Yet another dose of naïve diversity imo; to foster even more division in our society.  :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, observer said:

Seems Labour are offering 4 more bank holidays to tempt voters !  :rolleyes:    Saying it will "unite the Nation".   Just how exactly, does flagging up division into four separate Nations, assist in "uniting" the Nation. The Nation being the United Kingdom of Great Britain & N/I.  Yet another dose of naïve diversity imo; to foster even more division in our society.  :rolleyes:

The real losers will be the devoted Labour supporters who are already 'employed by the state' for 365 days a year, will nobody think of the afternoon drinkers and the full time mummies? 

11 hours ago, Geoffrey Settle said:

You never know it might lead to a 4 day working week and a 3 day weekend :wacko:

Oooh now that sounds like a good idea and I'd vote for that as would all my family and no doubt a great many more people too :D  We can all dream eh :wink:

Are Labour hoping that their proposed extra 4 days bank holidays will bring voters flooding to their side?  If so why?

I'd imagine in reality it may push some to voters elsewhere.

For example in our household (all in employment)....

Family member number 1....doesn't get any bank holidays off (other than xmas day) and all others are classed as normal working days at standard rate pay.
Family member number 2...does get bank holiday off but the number of bank holidays is deducted from the statutory holiday entitlement.  So 4 extra BH days means that best part of a weeks in the years holiday allowance would be taken on top of all the others which they COULD  have taken at a time of their choosing rather than it being forced upon them. 
I'd also imagine for those with young children that could be a problem too a no doubt holiday prices increase whenever their is a bank holiday 'day' included in the week
Family member number 3....admittedly does like bank holidays but the down side is they DON'T GET PAID so loose a whole days pay every time there is one. So 4 new bank holidays  = 4 more unpaid days....and no doubt being official bank holidays it would rain anyway so a waste of a days pay :wink:

9 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Wont do that or every religion going would want their own bank holiday. The only people working then would be religious leaders and The queen.

And the Merchant Seamen who work 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Not that many people in this country know we have a MN :unsure:

Interesting development in the enfolding saga of Brexit:  seems the EU would recognise a "united" Ireland within the EU, subject to the people of Ulster voting for it.  Be interesting whether economics trumps sectarianism on this one ?   However, it would provide a neat solution to the Irish problem and provide a clear frontier (the Irish Sea) to the EU. On the down side, we could lose the 17th March from Jeremy's bank holiday bribe !      :)